World of Warcraft

Fenryng

We just failed Ony 10 twice, my first time tanking. First time we were doing great, then MT didn't get all the whelps. (DPS didn't help drag 'em there, either.)

Question: every time I've seen it, the MT got both sides except for the initial waves. Am I expected to grab whelps after that?

On 10 man, one tank grabs both sides after the initial waves usually.

It's a pain in the ass duty I try my best to avoid.

So, if you are tank in a random, don't be that tank.

Ugh, usually the dungeon finder isn't too horrible to me, but a few days ago it was trying it's best to kill me IRL. First dungeon is PoS. The DK tank wouldn't use D&D, and as such could not hold aggro. The rogue in the group said something snotty, in which the tank claimed it was our fault for not assisting. Thing is, we were assisting off of him. He just couldn't hold aggro. Eventually he started using D&D, so things were going a little smoother. Unfortunately, the pally healer was awful and couldn't handle more than one person taking damage. We wiped twice on the first boss because he just couldn't keep up with the group wide damage. The mage was also utterly useless. He was either an alt or some guy who just PuGs all his raids, because he was wearing an odd mix of gear. Anyway, he was so terrible he couldn't pull aggro off the crappy tank. I'm also pretty sure he was the one who chose PoS because he wanted to finish a quest. Dropped that group after the second boss wipe because there was no way that group was going to clear the instance.

Queue up again, and it's HoR. The tank gets ported into a separate instance from us. We tell him to zone out and back in. He tells us he's going to drop group, so just reinvite him in a second. Cross-server group, jackass. He drops and is gone. We wait around for a while and finally get paired with another tank. Eventually we finish the dungeon, but it was a PuG HoR so of course it was a painful affair with many wipes.

I've decided that nothing can make a random more horrible than a tank who doesn't know what he's doing. If anybody else sucks it's often possible for the rest of the group to work around it, but if the tank can't do his job it's a wash.

I'm also dreaming of the day when I'm done with badges so I don't have to do randoms any longer. I didn't mind it at first, but it's begun to wear thin.

Generally, I've found only one exception to DPS pulling: Misdirect+Volley. Perfect way to throw threat on the tank. I get yelled at if I DON'T do it.

Don't forget TotT from a rogue.

DPS on my rogue is so fun cause I don't have to wait for the tank anymore.

/TotT on Tank

"We're pulling, here's aggro!"

/Fan of Knives spam

Don't forget TotT from a rogue.

DPS on my rogue is so fun cause I don't have to wait for the tank anymore.

/TotT on Tank

"We're pulling, here's aggro!"

/Fan of Knives spam

"I'm pulling guys."

<-Misdirect on tank, Volley on mobs + Explosive shot on most dangerous mob

"There's some threat. I'll be back here."

Yeah, MD/ToTT and pull is a dick move in the general case, barely better than just pulling without the MD. If I'm a tank and not pulling there's a god damn good reason for it, because if there wasn't I'd be pulling. And since the average retard's idea of when to start going full blast AoE is 'as soon as the mobs aggro anything' rather than 'when the tank uses Thunderclap/Swipe/DnD/Consecrate', that person will end up exploding unless the tank reacts quickly and/or uses cooldowns they'd probably rather use on a planned large pull.

There are situations where you can use it well, but not 'the tank is just standing there waiting around rather than pulling.' If he's not pulling, either he knows something you don't (DnD cooldown / runes are the most common culprit, but the most important are the ones that involve the words 'critical error' or 'has gone offline') or he's just slow. If he's just slow, he's not going to get any faster if you shove mobs in his face; politely ask him to go faster. It is, however, great to use when the tank is pulling, and has shown a desire to pull large amounts, but pulled a lesser amount due to unfortunate mob configurations.

In other news, BQL is dead. Fuck that fight. Sure felt good to get it down, though. No bloodlust, even, though we had pretty much our A-team elsewise. (Translation: we had no caster DPS. Why are our casters so mediocre?)

Yeah, MD/ToTT and pull is a dick move in the general case, barely better than just pulling without the MD. If I'm a tank and not pulling there's a god damn good reason for it, because if there wasn't I'd be pulling.

In a general sense, sure, but it's almost an unwritten rule to do so in Heroics, at least, in my battlegroup. Tanks know it's coming, so do the casters and other DPS. Makes the fights faster, which is pretty much the goal of everyone in the randoroic.

In a general sense, sure, but it's almost an unwritten rule to do so in Heroics, at least, in my battlegroup. Tanks know it's coming, so do the casters and other DPS. Makes the fights faster, which is pretty much the goal of everyone in the randoroic.

Really? That's kinda fucked up. I pug the daily on my hunter, and I'd never even think about MD'ing the tank before he actually started to pull, unless he asked for it.

No one wanted to show last night so we took the 25 who were on went back to ulduar and finished off Firefighter and Knock, Knock, Knock. Had issues with 1 light though. I hate no sanity wells. Its almost impossible to dps tentacles in a timely manner in the brain room, without eating a few skulls to the face. Then RNG was being a bitch too. One go I got nailed so much upstairs I was at 52% before first portal phase.

Hopefully we get a better turnout tonight. Sindragosa still needs to die.

I'm with Race. Someone does that to me, after a polite request not to, they're getting kicked, or I'm leaving. Fortunately, I pull so fast these days it's rarely an issue. I did sit down and watch a hunter die the other die after he wouldn't stop though.

Just got my Elder title, fuck this holiday.

If it annoys you that much, Shryke, you can always roll a tank.

Our guild got LK 10 last night, and got LK25 to sub 40% last week. Due to a wonderfully stupid glitch, we were able to reset ICC 25 and do a quick run on Sunday with mains and some other folks from the server (because doing LK attempts by itself doesn't actually save you to the instance). So I got to do some 25 raiding, and even got the weekly raid quest.

We got the fester/rotface one, and we cheesed it. Basically what you do is you have a couple hunters, a tank and a couple healers go in to fester and rot's room, get the debuff, and then feign death and let the encounter reset. Then they turn in the quest and everyone around gets credit.

multibox?

Seriously, some people have other things going on. Have you tried asking nicely?

Hopefully we get a better turnout tonight. Sindragosa still needs to die.
Yeah - how dare those bastards go out with their significant others and celebrate valentine's day. There's things that need killing! The Lich King removed his heart for this very reason.

I'm with Race. Someone does that to me, after a polite request not to, they're getting kicked, or I'm leaving. Fortunately, I pull so fast these days it's rarely an issue. I did sit down and watch a hunter die the other die after he wouldn't stop though.

The thing that truly pisses me off is that the people who like to pull for me are always classes that can dump aggro, so if I try to let them die to their own stupidity then it's some innocent other person who ends up exploding. Usually the healer.

I've been running mostly with a guild healer lately though, and she's very much a fan of letting people die to their own stupidity, with the ultimate goal of them learning that maybe being stupid isn't the best idea, so we get all sorts of people who will just sit in acid clouds and the like until they slowly tick down to dead. It's not maximally efficient, but it never fails to amuse.

I don't think I've encountered a tank that pulls too slow in at least two weeks, but I may not have been exposing myself to enough variety of random tanks, since both of the characters I am actively playing at the moment are tanks of some sort and so I've only been DPS when the whim takes me or when with another guild tank.

My main is a tank. That's why it pisses me off when I'm on my healer or DPS alts. Some people pull too fucking slow.

I'm with Shryke. Both my toons can tank but the Pally is undergeared, so I usually do heroics as ret, and it annoys me to no end when we run up to a trash pack, everyone is present, at full health and mana, and we just stand there looking at the trash.

I bailed on a HoL yesterday that took us over 20 min to get to Volkun (the guy that shatters his minions). There is no reason for it to take that long. If people are clearly new 80s, in quest blue and greens, I'm willing to be patient. But I am not willing to just stand around all day in a well geared group.

Archived