World of Warcraft

Fenryng

This Holiday was remarkably easier then all the other ones. The fact that charms, chocolates and candies are not BoP basically takes away getting f-ed over by RNG. The handful of petals works even if your target already has the buff, and the class combos are not hard to find (except maybe Troll rogues, but that was easy because all us troll rogues just traded off this year in the sewers then stealthed into our designated hiding spots for the next 2 weeks).

I farmed every bracelet I would need to purchase everything except the pet and the lovely dress/suit. I picked up the daily quest in Shadow Vault (Shoot Em' Up) and just shot at Protodrake riders for the length of the superbowl and had 60 bracelets (I went to Org during half time to turn the first 30 in), wich can be turned in for Love Tokens. Since each target counts as a drake and a rider you can proc 2 at once. As long as you don't turn the quest in you can keep shooting.

It got a bit tedious but it also means I can ignore the holiday now and focus on the Lunar Festival next Sunday instead.

I've seen two Big Love Rockets in Dal but have yet to see one drop :-(.

Hmm, never thought of the Shoot 'Em Up daily as a source of lucky charms. May have to do some time there tonight.

Good grinding spots I was using were the Argent Tourney dailies themselves, the Broken Front or the Icecrown Glacier, the never-ending mob spawns by Freya in Shol Basin, and frozen lake outside Dun Nifelheim.

Plague wagons in Crystalsong are of course a slaughterfest, with so may folk battling over kills that lag was abominable. Best to do that daily first thing in the day when its quiet.

One way to farm the thingies that I've been told about is going into ulduar and getting in a demolisher, then killing some dwarves.

Also, we used our 12 attempts on Lich King and didn't down him; those Valkyr's in phase 2 are bloody brutal.

Anyone have any advice on running the new holiday bosses? Ran it on my warlock, and one of the puggies swore the way to do it was to go paxter first then hummel then frye. We wiped. Ran it latter on my hunter and we got a little more complicated. Basically everyone put on cologne, tank held aggro on hummel and frye while I kited paxter to the back, we killed paxter then switched to perfume and went for hummel then frye. Worked, but was pretty hairy.

Green potion makes you immune to green poison, purple does the same for purple poison. Here's the general best practice:

Have your tank (yes, you can live without one, probably, if your healer is good) tank the purple guy. Have someone else -- it literally does not matter what class, but I recommend not your healer -- "tank" the green guy, wearing his neutralizer, somewhere not near the purple guy so the rest of the group doesn't take damage. He will be immune to 90% or so of the guy's damage with that neutralizer, so he'll be easy to heal. Have all your DPS murder the purple guy,

After that, it's up to you whether you kill green guy or Frye. Frye is not tankable in any meaningful sense; he wipes his threat table repeatedly. All he really does, though, is throw both color poisons. We killed green guy first, but Frye first is probably easier. Make sure not to stand in the opposite color poison patches that Frye makes. Obviously everyone switches to green neutralizer when you kill the green guy.

I guess you could kill green guy first, but he starts the fight non-targetable, unlike purple guy, so I don't see that it makes any sense to do that.

Sigh, screwed up our server first insanity again. For some reason we decided to try the 3 tank strat which went disastrously.

On the other hand it did take some pressure off of me because just before the start of the raid our RL said "Hey, you have a resto offspec right?" and I ended up healing in a raid for the first time in years, covering penetrating cold on p3... no pressure, lol.

Still its very annoying to keep missing it and everyone is getting more and more negative each week about TotGC, especially because it refuses week after week to drop the Death's Choice, or other desirable trinkets which are the only items people need now.

We tried doing the three- tank strat for a while when there were reports that it was a bit more stable than the 2-tank one. After a few attempts and failure we went back to the way we learned it and we did it on a horribly ugly attempt. We've then been able to do it repeatedly using the same strat but with different people for successive weeks. I'd say that you should stick with what you know. Doing something unfamiliar might work out better at the end of the day, but when you overgear things you don't need to change things up too much.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ran it on both hunter and warlock today, and it's pretty easy now that everyone knows the mechanics. I think the problem yesterday was that everyone was expecting it to be a straightforward tank and spank like Direbrew or Horseman. Can't wait to get me a big pink love rocket.

Someone needs to make a character named Jaime get a vanity guild name <House Lannister> and get the title Kingslayer

Someone needs to make a character named Jaime, get a vanity guild named <Murder She Wrote>, and get the title Angela Lansbury.

On the holiday bosses, for the toon tanking the green guy, just don't do it right next to his workbench where he starts the fight if your green 'tank' is squishy in anyway. He runs back to his apparatus and does an explosion of some sort which took a large chunk out of our green tank's health (it was a balance druid).

Easiest is to get a ret pally be tank for one of the bosses. Once they put on the apporpriate neutralizer and get their Righteous Fury on, it's cake.

ETA: Oh, and I was getting Lovely Charms from Ice Tomb killing blows too! :lol:

Running my daily heroic, we pulled Azol Nerub. As ret pally I got to throw down my consecrate when the first boss summons all the little adds - about 20 lucky charms.

After the second boss the entire raid tried to be the first to jump down through the web and be the one to AoE down the pack of adds before the Brood Pit. Another huge number of lucky charms there.

tankadin is 80, that's 80 #2

edit: Going to be collecting a holy set by rolling when healing plate drops and there are no other paladins. Now eligible for ToC 5 and heroics. Can anyone outline the gear I should want before I start healing heroics? (Will start with regs, don't worry, and move on to easy heroics before I do any of the hard ones, and won't do raids before I'm ready.)

I think you should be fine with crap gear healing any of the old heroics. I can heal most of those by ESing the tank dropping healing stream totem and afking. On a simple boss fight. I'll riptide the tank and then dps the boss. Maybe toss in a chain heal if needed.

The ICC instances at least keep me on my toes. I healed FoS last night for my daily. I died to standing in shit because I was to busy healing because people wouldnt stop dpsing when Reliquary cast mirrored soul.

We finally got BQL down last night. Still having issues with people getting MC'd. including myslef one time. Bad timing on my part. I got the purple flames and was running away, and didnt get back in time to find and bite my target.

To echo what race said, healing the old heroics should be no problem. You could also heal regular FoS, I've seen people do it in BOA gear.

Apparently they are removing limited attempts for Normal ICC this week after maintenance, not that my scrub 10 man butt has even seen them yet, but considering how many Rotface attempts we needed, it'll be nice to not be restricted on "final" bosses anymore.

For the first time since BC came out I'm actually enjoying Hellfire. I've never played a ranged dps/caster class before and it's changed my perspective a bit. It's a bit unsettling when I have to deal with an Alliance DK but for the most part mind-flaying everything in sight is 100% awesome.

Our guild is going to extend their lockout so they can kill Arthas. That's really awesome.

There's really no point, since they're taking away the limited attempts for normal mode. Unless of course time is a big factor for you guys, but then again gear upgrades are going to help alot for that fight (our tanks were getting hit for 45k on that fight).

Time is a big factor for us. We raid 8 hours a week, max. This way we get to do 8 hours on LK without any other interruptions or distractions, and will hopefully get a higher world ranking as a result. Or we'll get pwned and have to get more gear.

Honestly it doesn't seem like a gear issue. There's no single piece of gear thats' going to stop your tanks from being hit for 45k (point of fact that's a mechanic of the fight that you need to deal with properly). It's a control fight, with a lot of situational awareness and people doing the right thing. Gear helps some - most notably on the DPS requirements for valks and vile spirits - but this is a fight like Illidan is. It's not going to be easily outgeared, and a bit more farming isn't going to make the difference.

I've barely played in a week; girlfriend was in town, so we weren't raiding or anything like that. Since we've had horrendous luck with hilts, I ended up buying one and we took care of it together, completing the quests either with her sitting next to me or tanking the instance from the other room then walking in.

I haven't even enchanted it yet, as when I tried to sign on last night, server lag was cripplingly bad, and I didn't want to take the time while she was here.

We might have some minor implosions happening, we're not sure. It's sounding like one of our core healers (none of whom enjoy healing right now and none of whom plan to level a healer first in Cataclysm) will either be wanting to not play, or throwing himself into WoW to the point where he'll probably become extra cranky due to personal life issues. Raiding could be interesting.

I'm hoping tonight we just skip Plagueworks and try a new wing, because I know last Wed. we really, really needed a break from Rotface. At least this week we've got Marrowgar as the weekly, that'll preclude any arguments over whether we should do the weekly or not. Might make getting a successful weekly group for any other character suck, though.

Archived