Euro 2012 Qualifying

Black Wizard

Kirk Broadfoot does not, in fact, know how to defend. Nor does he know how to pass or cross or any of the other basic skills a full-back needs, for that matter. If Alan Hutton was in the worst form of his life, had his leg in plaster, and had recently published a twenty-page pamphlet entitled 'Why I Want Scotland To Lose', I'd still play him ahead of Broadfoot. As would anyone who knows anything about football.

If only you'd posted this last week West Ham would have had the chance to offer £6m for him.

I noticed it last night while watching the game and mentioned it a couple of times before kick-off, but it seems I'm not the only one put off by the scandalous prices the FAI have imposed for our home fixtures. There's been a couple of threads on the BBC's 606 concerning. here and here. :thumbsdown:

I'd understand it if we were playing Brazil or someone. Andorra, though? Just no. We need to make the stadium a fortress if we're going to qualify. Intimidating our opponents before facing them is an advantage we shouldn't overlook.

The atmosphere at Hampden last night, for example, was great. We need much of the same.

Which will be why Walter Smith signed him then.. I mean that guy knows nothing about football does he?

I'm not sure what point you think you're making, but, um... when Rangers signed Broadfoot it was as backup to a Mr. A. Hutton, who the Rangers manager played in preference to Broadfoot on every occasion the two were available. (Except, to be fair, when he played Broadfoot at centre-back.) So, Walter Smith agrees with me that Broadfoot is an inferior player.

Was that your point?

Gorn,

What do you think Bosnia's chance of qualifying is? It seems like they've been knocking on the door to make a major tournament for a while now.

I was an optimist before we played France; we have an easy group and some great players. However, last night's defeat has shown that our new coach lacks the necessary tactical knowledge. We have some excellent forwards, but our defense is a joke; our only chance at winning is to outscore our opponents, since we will concede against any team better than Luxembourg. It is still early, but I think it will be very difficult for us to qualify if nothing changes in our tactics.

I was an optimist before we played France; we have an easy group and some great players. However, last night's defeat has shown that our new coach lacks the necessary tactical knowledge. We have some excellent forwards, but our defense is a joke; our only chance at winning is to outscore our opponents, since we will concede against any team better than Luxembourg. It is still early, but I think it will be very difficult for us to qualify if nothing changes in our tactics.

I must say I was surprised yesterday as I expected Bosnia (and Susic had hinted at it) to play a really defensive football, at least in the first half, as we are absolutely unable to score against a team doing this and everybody seems to have understood it nowadays. But is seems Susic felt confident enough to try and play an attacking football and I guess it's a mistake he won't make next time when you come to Paris.

You still have every chance to qualify. It's not because we made one good game that all our problems will disappear and the rest of the group should be easy enough indeed (for you that is...).

In a not so surprising move, FPF have sacced Carlos Queiroz. He have not have a good couple of weeks after first receiving a one-month suspension from the federation for disrupting an anti-doping test ahead of the World Cup, the suspension was extended to 6 months by the Portuguese Sports Institute, then he had to watch from the stands as Portugal, even with scoring four goals against Cyprus, failed to take more than one point in the first two matches of the euro qualifiers.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for another round of qualification fixtures.

Ireland play tonight versus Russia in Dublin. We're missing a couple of players for this one and our captain, Robbie Keane, is having an unfortunate patch at club level. Still, Russia have hardly started this campaign well, having lost their last fixture. I'm hoping we put on a strong spirited display. I want to hear more from the crowd in this one, as well.

This is our biggest fixture since the infamous France play-off.

Craig Levein is starting with Jamie Mackie up front tonight instead of Kenny Miller. :blink: Miller's not a great striker but to play a guy with no international experience (he's only just joined QPR recently!) over a striker on form for his club and with 49 caps is odd to say the least. Mind you, if Scotland somehow manage to get a result then it'll be an inspired decision.

However did Cyprus manage to beat Ireland?

Eh? That was ages ago.

Anyway, crazy match tonight. 2 nil down, I was fearing a hammering, and then that third goal...barely stand to watch anymore. But we've pulled two goals back! Come on Ireland!

Czech Republic - Scotland summary:

Remember the Barca-Inter semi final? Imagine if two really crap teams decided to re-enact that. This game was even worse. The first twenty minutes may in fact be the worst twenty minutes of football I have ever seen. The Czechs were pretty terrible and any halfway decent team should skelp them. But our manager decided to deploy a 4-6-0 formation against them. Result: our players had no idea what they were doing, did not know who to pass to, and were unable to attack the frankly awful Czech defence. Dire. We eventually threw two strikers on after going 1-0 down in the 69th minute, but it was far too late. I can't even get upset at us losing, because if you play 4-6-0 you deserve to lose.

I'm a big fan of Craig Levein and thought he was the right appointment. And I'm normally the last to suggest sacking a manager who's not had a long time in post. But he is, in my view, 100% to blame for this loss and for our failure to win the Lithuania game, another eminently winnable match. His tactics have constantly been wrong and far too defensive. The team seems unable to string passes together or to flow, because they're treating teams who are worse than us as if they were world-beaters. No matter the opposition, our tactic is to hang on grimly, as if we were defending a 1-0 lead with ten men, right from the first kick of the ball. This is not good enough, to put it mildly. The Spain game is a write-off anyway, but after that, I think Levein should be given one match to save his job.

So it was a crap formation after all. I think AS Roma played without a genuine striker against Man U a few years ago and won (then got humped 7-1) but at least they have good players. Czech Republic aren't a great side anymore and I think Scotland could have got something from the match if they'd had a go in the second half but instead they sat further and further back and eventually conceded. I don't think the Czechs showed much composure in front of goal (they were mostly limited to long range shots though) so if Scotland had increased the tempo of the game then the Czechs might have got become more flustered and the crowd would have then got on their backs. I wasn't expecting Scotland to take anything from that match but it irks me that they could have done a lot better than that. <_<

Poor Turkey. After some great saves, there comes the inevitable and epic blunder by Volcan. 3:0 is probably not what they deserve.

ETA: Although the Turkish fans deserve it for booing Özil so much.

Archived