Euro 2012 Qualifying

Black Wizard

The draw for the Qualifying stages of the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine take place tomorrow at 11am GMT in Warsaw at the Palace of Culture and Science (pretentious?). This year is the fiftieth anniversary of the first ever European Championships which the USSR won and the ceremony (which I'm sure will be riveting) will be themed around this topic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8500038.stm

The seedings are as follows (important teams in bold):

Pot one: Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Italy, England, Croatia, Portugal, France, Russia

Pot two: Greece, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Denmark, Slovakia, Romania

Pot three: Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina

Pot four: Slovenia, Latvia, Hungary, Lithuania, Belarus, Belgium, Wales, FYR Macedonia, Cyprus

Pot five: Montenegro, Albania, Estonia, Georgia, Moldova, Iceland, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Liechtenstein

Pot six: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Malta, Faroe Islands, Andorra, San Marino

:P

My dream draw for Scotland would be: Croatia, Slovakia, Scotland, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, San Marino. I'd rather not get England, considering the way they've been playing recently.

Qualifying starts in September and I'll probably be gutted come the end of it. (Twelve years and counting...)

My dream draw for Scotland would be: Croatia, Slovakia, Scotland, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, San Marino. I'd rather not get England, considering the way they've been playing recently.

It might not be too bad to get England, since by the time of qualifying they'll no doubt be dispirited by their inevitable penalty shoot-out loss in the quarter finals of the World Cup (or, if you're feeling optimistic about their prospects, their penalty shoot-out loss in the semi-finals of the World Cup).

At least this time Scotland can't be drawn in the same group as both France and Italy, unlike the last qualifying campaign.

The draw for the Qualifying stages of the 2012 European Championships in Poland and Ukraine take place tomorrow at 11am GMT in Warsaw at the Palace of Culture and Science (pretentious?). This year is the fiftieth anniversary of the first ever European Championships which the USSR won and the ceremony (which I'm sure will be riveting) will be themed around this topic.

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/8500038.stm

Oh my god, its like having a second eurovision.

I actually really like the palace of culture building. Sure, its a somewhat awful thing to have in the middle of a city that people live in, but it would look great on the cover of a fantasy novel.

Oh my god, its like having a second eurovision.

I actually really like the palace of culture building. Sure, its a somewhat awful thing to have in the middle of a city that people live in, but it would look great on the cover of a fantasy novel.

It looks like a more imperious Big Ben.

Group I: Spain, Czech Republic, SCOTLAND Lithuania, Liechtenstein

Group H: Portugal, Denmark, Norway, Cyprus, Iceland

Group G: ENGLAND, Switzerland, Bulgaria, WALES, Montenegro

Group F: Croatia, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Georgia, Malta

Group E: Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Moldova, San Marino

Group D: France, Romania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Belarus, Albania, Luxembourg

Group C: Italy, Serbia, NORTHERN IRELAND Slovenia, Estonia, Faroe Islands

Group B: Russia, Slovakia, REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, FYR Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra

Group A: Germany, Turkey, Austria, Belgium, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan

England vs Wales! And a decent group for Republic of Ireland. Very tough for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Absolute nightmare. :stunned: I didn't want Spain...

Group A: Germany, Turkey, Austria, Belgium, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan

Group B: Russia, Slovakia, Republic of Ireland, FYR Macedonia, Armenia, Andorra

Group C: Italy, Serbia, Northern Ireland, Slovenia, Estonia, Faroe Islands

Group D: France, Romania, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Belarus, Albania, Luxembourg

Group E: Netherlands, Sweden, Finland, Hungary, Moldova, San Marino

Group F: Croatia, Greece, Israel, Latvia, Georgia, Malta

Group G: England, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Wales, Montenegro

Group H: Portugal, Denmark, Norway, Cyprus, Iceland

Group I: Spain, Czech Republic, Scotland, Lithuania, Liechtenstein

Once again England get an easy draw, the toughest test for them will be away to Bulgaria, assuming Berbatov is fit when that match comes around. Northern Ireland's is too bad but they won't qualify anyway and the Republic have a fairly good chance. Wales won't get through their group. I liked the look of Scotland's group until the Czech Republic came out, although they may be beatable. We'll find out if they were in March when the come to Hampden for a friendly. Spain are going to destroy Scotland though. :(

I'd say Scotland have a fair chance to beat the Czechs. They aren't what they used to be etc.

Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan for Germany? The DFB will be amassing plenty of frequent traveller miles (though having two direct neighbours in there will help to offset that). Both are quite beatable though, as are Belgium and Austria. Leaving Turkey as the one truly tough opponent, but there is no doubt Germany are clear favourites to win this group.

Romania, again :uhoh:

The rest of the group is beatable but could become painful...

Not too bad a group in the end.

As for the group of England, I wouldn't dismiss Switzerland too fast, they can be quite a pain to play.

So the 1st of each group and the best 2nd (without counting the matches against the 6th of 7-team groups) are directly qualified, and the rest of the 2nd will have to play play-offs. Yuck, I'll be glad when we get to the 24-teams Euro...

In group A I think Germany are untouchable but for second place, while the turks are favourites, I can see us and Austria mount a challenge. Though I must say I don't know how good Austria is, Belgium managed to get a 1-1 in Turkey and won 2-0 at home in the EC qualifications.

Norway, Denmark and Iceland in the same group. Back to the days of old Cnut eh? That's a right Viking love-in there and I suppose they won't need translators either, the languages are practically the same.

Apparently this is the third Euro consecutive qualifying that Scotland have drawn Lithuania, who are essentially Heart of Midlothian. I'm sure Mormont will be torn. :P Scotland have never played Lietchenstein before so if Levein decides to call up Kris Boyd again then he should play at home to them.

Archived