Euro 2012 Qualifying

Black Wizard

I'm still surprised that a country the size of Turkey, with a passion for the game, can't do better.

I think Hiddink's reputation has to go down after this. He was a great coach for Korea, but not qualifying with russia and now with turkey has to reflect negatively on him.

Bosnia are a very frustrating team. They seem to do just enough to make you hopeful and excited before they capitulate. Today, they managed to pull one back before the half, and at that point only needed one goal to go through. Then they concede a goal and have a man sent off. Even after the sending off, they score one more to make you think that maybe, possible, they could pull off a miracle! But no, then the Portugal goals started to fly in.

I think this is more a feature (in the opposite direction) by Portugal. In their final home match of the group stage they were up by three goals against Iceland. In the second half Iceland scored twice, and were close to equalizing several times towards the end, before Portugal scored twice. The match ended 5:3, while a draw would have meant that Portugal would have lost the play-off spot.

And we shall have in a couple of weeks the draw for the groups.

And this is why I think it is absolutely bollocks to have host nations as top seeds, or even beign handed an automatic spot in the tournament. Utter bullshit of an argument is what they offer...

Poland and Ukraine distort the seeding system. Pisses me off.

Pot 1:

Poland

Ukraine

Spain

Netherlands

Pot 2:

Germany

Italy

England

Russia

Pot3:

Croatia

Greece

Sweden

Portugal

Pot 4:

Denmark

France

Ireland

Czech Rep.

Oh... and having two nations cohost a tournament + awarding them an automatic place?

Next time there will be 24 teams, so the seeding issue will be less of an issue (since we presumably will have 6 groups). OTOH, I think having 24 teams devalues the whole competition, so that's another issue.

Wow. With that seeding, you're much better off in pot 2 than pot 1. In pot 2, you can get unlucky with Spain or the Netherlands, but I think that's overridden by the even chance of getting one of the hosts.

It's almost like Spain and the Netherlands are being punished for being the best!

Wow. With that seeding, you're much better off in pot 2 than pot 1. In pot 2, you can get unlucky with Spain or the Netherlands, but I think that's overridden by the even chance of getting one of the hosts.

It's almost like Spain and the Netherlands are being punished for being the best!

I think this overstates it. If you get Germany your fucked, but none of the other group two teams are that great. I think Ukraine as hosts is a tougher draw than russia. Italy and England are solid, but not at the Spain/Germany/Netherlands level.

Oh... and having two nations cohost a tournament + awarding them an automatic place?

:rolleyes:

Bloody ghastly...

it was bad enough when cohost nations were netherlands and belgium, with poland and ukraine it's a nightmare. since the very beginning, hosting was troubled both with deadlines not being met and the hooligans threat.

Next time there will be 24 teams, so the seeding issue will be less of an issue (since we presumably will have 6 groups). OTOH, I think having 24 teams devalues the whole competition, so that's another issue.

i seriously doubt there's enough quality in europe for 24 teams euro.

for example, if there were 24 teams in this euro, serbia would probably qualify and our team's worthless, despite having some world class players (defenders mostly).

Archived