Turkey v Croatia

Estonia v Republic of Ireland

Czech Republic v Montenegro

Bosnia and Herzegovina v Portugal

1. a re-match of the most exciting quarter-finals of the last euro

2. if this is not a compensation for henry's handball i don't know what is

3. i don't know what to think of this one

4. once again?

all this is a bit too convenient for my liking.

What a tie that is for the Irish, but how did they manage to get seeded when Turkey didn't?

We did have a better qualifying tournament than Turkey. (Turkey had a harder group but I don't think the ratings really manage that). And we also got to the play-offs for the last WC, while Turkey didn't even get that far.

I think they normally use the last 2 tournaments to judge.

I think they normally use the last 2 tournaments to judge.

I would have expected it to go on FIFA ranking.

UEFA have their own ranking system for stuff like this. It's 20% last Euro, 40% last WC (both qualifying and finals in both cases) and 40% current qualifying tournament.

• 4 weeks later...

Come on you boys in Green!

Win, draw, whatever...just don't lose by more than a goal. We can claim our qualification status at Dublin, if we keep composed and resolute tonight.

I'm going to predict a 0-1 result to Ireland.

Nil nil is a good result for Bosnia thanks to the away goals rule. Ibesevic wasted a couple great chances, and then Dzeko has a fantastic chance right at the end to win it. Bosnia don't seem able to pass through the midfield very well, but Portugal are feckless in the final third.

So the Czech rep, Ireland and Croatia are pretty much through. No surprises there. The one we expected to be very close, was very close.

You'd still favour Portugal because they play at home, but mostly because they've got Ronaldo. I mean come on, he's got to be able to pull them through this with the stunning form that he has. That said, I'd like Bosnia to go through.

So the Czech rep, Ireland and Croatia are pretty much through. No surprises there. The one we expected to be very close, was very close.

You'd still favour Portugal because they play at home, but mostly because they've got Ronaldo. I mean come on, he's got to be able to pull them through this with the stunning form that he has. That said, I'd like Bosnia to go through.

Yes. Agreed with all that. As pessimistic as I was about Ireland, even I thought we could manage to get pass Estonia. Although it turned out to be a lot easier than anyone expected. Experience was very important here. Estonia have never been anywhere close to a play-off before and ending up with 9 men says a lot about how they handled the pressure. In terms of quality, there probably is not a huge amount in it but we are great commitment wise.

And i'm delighted to see our elder players get one last hurrah. Given, Keane, Duff, Dunne have served Ireland well over the last 10 years (and longer for some) without any award since 2002. The other players in our team don't inspire me in the same way but they have given their all for the team. :) I'm not delighted that we'll have another 2 years of Trapattoni. Beyond organisation (while very important), I don't think we have progressed very far and we'll be the poorest team in the finals

I'm still surprised that a country the size of Turkey, with a passion for the game, can't do better. I seriously doubt Montenegro have the firepower to get back in their game (their whole gameplan was to come through 1-0 on aggregate). But the Portugal, Bosnia game should be very interesting. A bad pitch in Bosnia didn't help the first leg, so Portugal are bound to be favourites for the return.

Archived