MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

I'm really ashamed that I couldn't even make it to Pride Bushido events before the last thread got closed. Damn new job. I'll keep at it, if anyone gives a damn. Fedor debuts in the next one!

I missed the Bellator event, so I hope it sucked and everyone had a really lousy time watching it. Does that get aired on FSN? Because I do get that channel. I think it's the only channel I watch on that cable package, which I only got for the old Pride rebroadcasts. Never got around to watching those either.

Unfortunately the fights did not suck, and at the end of the broadcast they added another fight from earlier in the show that rocked.

I have to say that Bellator is doing everything right that Strikeforce is doing wrong except for not showcasing women fighters more which is why I'll always be happy that Strikeforce is still around. However, despite not having any belts for women, women do fight for the promotion, so that's good.

I said before that the venue was sweet, having the fights in the Power & Light District was a great idea as was the Chicago Theatre earlier. Great venues don't necessarily make great fights but if you're going to have fights at smaller venues putting them on in places that add to the atmosphere are not bad ideas. It can give the event a push in terms of ambience. I think that it helped the crowd be more into it as well. I loved seeing the fighters coming down the stairs with thier handlers, it was something that you don't see much in the fight game,... anywhere.

BTW they did re-broadcast the fights on Sunday in case you missed them on Thursday. One thing that FSN is doing right by Bellator is that, whether they pre-empt or move the live airing or not, they're usually going to air the card again later that week at least once.

I've been under the impression that I didn't get FSN, so couldn't watch Bellator. I decided to go look for it and noticed that I do! I'm a little sad that I've missed so much but DVR is set for May 6th now.

Well for those who didn't know, Bellator is tomorrow night so check your local listings, if it's delayed then set your DVRs or look for the re-broadcast on Saturday or Sunday. It's a good little promotion with alot of upside, a great format, and they're doing alot of things right like utilizing card space, getting the right type of venues and putting together exciting matchups without trying to force names on the card. They're planning to have a women's tournament in the upcoming seasons so maybe they'll steal that from Strikeforce, and Eddie Alvarez is fighting so I'm definitely going to be tuning in.

This weekend we got Machida/Shogun 2 which I'm totally excited for bc you have two competent tacticians in the cage going at it. I'm going with Machida to take this one. Obviously he has to compensate for the low kicks but I feel confident that he'll figure that out and come up with a proper plan.

Bellator is coming to Dallas soon and my fight team keeps sending me emails to get some of us to go to the open tryouts to try to get on the card. I'm not training at the moment due to personal problems, but if any of my teammates gets on the card I'll be here to trumpet it to everyone here, so my fingers are crossed that we have some representation.

Wow Semtex, there goes a career. I'd have been pissed about the phantom knee too, but, come on. My buddy was sure they were going to replay it when most the people weren't paying attention and it happened but I assured him they wouldn't replay it and would for the most part try to gloss it over. After the shit Dana threw at Strikeforce following the Shields/Miller debacle, he could not possibly have wanted that. Good thing the event was being pvr'd. Crazy.

The 'Machida' era seems to not have dawned. I hate it when the jinx up and coming fighters with such high expectations. I mean, he had just beaten Rashad to get the belt and everybody was pretending the lhw division was all but cleaned out. That's just bad mma karma. I hope he bounces back well.

Career over? Future Strikeforce/Dream champ you mean.

Same thing as career over.

Koscheck is awesome. Story of the night. He owned Daley as well as Anderson Silva has ever owned anyone. Daley was never in the fight. What makes Daley such a pussy and a coward is that he had 15 minutes to land that hook, and he couldn't. Because he sucks. Fucking coward.

And that knee hit the side of his head. Have any of you ever been kneed before? Good for Koscheck for making a big deal out of it and showing that Daley was a classless, illegal fighter.

Fuck sake, it's a fight. IF Daley wants to hand him points, he'd be an idiot not to take it.

Fuck Daley.

ETA: Good for Shogun. I'm surprised he had that much power in one punch.

Also ETA: Kimbo was cut as well as Daley.

Archived