MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

LOL! I'd like to see you actually back that one up Stego. How is Fedor a mental midget?

Fedor is no mental midget, but staying on the ground with Werdum was a huge error. It seems like it was a case of over-confidence, which seems unusual to say about him. Maybe, after his wars with Nog, he felt he was unsubmittable. If there is a rematch, I think Fedor takes it in dramatic 1st rd KO fashion.

A lot of people over on Junkie are going on about how the submission was simply something that was going to happen sooner or later as Fedor again employed his take the fight to the other guy's strongest area gameplan. I can think of an exception or two (Hong Man Choi) but there is some merit to that view when you consider his past fights. The fact that he'll stand with Cro Cop (Prime Pride Cro Cop mind you) and Arlovski and hit the guard with Noguera, or Werdun oops, is what a lot of people love about him.

Oh Jesus, I aint getting into this.

Saw Chuck last night on our local MMA show. He's every intention of convincing Dana to let him fight, has 100% faith in his level of fighting skills and has been cleared of any indication of head injury or complications. Gotta say, dude's persistent. He definitely doesn't let getting knocked out get to him down too bad.

Same show had a number of high profile fighters sounding off on Lesnar/Carwin. I was surprised to hear most by far were taking Carwin in the fight. If I understand things, Carwin's the underdog in Vegas. Not entirely sure how educated that betting line is.

Does he, or does he just say he does because he is planning on going into politics when his fighting career is over? He maybe be smarter than you think...

True enough, man. True enough.

If so, he's a genius.

ETA: Carwin has to be the favorite due to Lesnar's nigh life ending illness. One does not just recover from that quickly. Unless they let him go ape-shit with the injections, he's a lot weaker than the last time we saw him.

Well that was bullshit. Apparently Carwin has about 2 minutes worth of gas. I like the winner of Cain/DS to beat Lesnar.

Also, what the hell was going on with Leban? Win via Sloppy Triangle. Plus he had 3 arm bars that he couldn't complete, that he really should have.

Well that was bullshit. Apparently Carwin has about 2 minutes worth of gas. I like the winner of Cain/DS to beat Lesnar.

Cain already gets to fight Lesnar next barring some kind of instant rematch with Carwin. Dos Santos is fighting Big Country in August.

Forgot to say, Lesnar may well be a super-athlete or something, but his boxing is so rookie-like. Turning his back on Carwin after taking a right was horrible stuff. He appears to have zero natural boxing instincts, looks very uncomfortable.

Was annoyed Akiyama lost, the guy may be an asshole but I still love him.

I can't believe they gave Lesnar "submission of the night". That was clearly Chris Lytle's award tonight.

I hate to admit it, but I fear Brock may hold that strap a while. Carwin was the biggest threat to his belt IMHO. I really can't see Cain being able to handle him. I was so pleased to see Carwin hammering on Brock and thought we were going to see him go to sleep. I agree that Brock's standup is extremely rudimentary. Frank Mir had him backed up in a panic too a couple of times at ufc 100. JDS would just pick him apart on the feet. If he were able to keep the fight on the feet he'd be my next likely choice for the next guy to derail Lesnar. That's a huge if though.

To the brilliant mind who called Carwin a 'fucking joke:'

Have you ever weighed 280? Have you ever wrestled a man who weighed over 250lbs? Arms with muscle on them take energy to move. He was a refs decision (that half of the UFC refs would have made) away from the undisputed heavyweight championship. He's hardly a fucking joke.

Hopefully Carwin won't turn out to be the heavyweight Sokoudjou. To be fair about his cardio, he was flurrying for a good portion of that first round, and he was well within his rights to believe that a few more punches would win him the fight. That's going to tax the gas tank of any fighter. I don't think this is the last time Brock will have to worry about Carwin.

As far as Lesnar, we've now seen him "come back from adversity," but I don't really think he did. He held on by a fingernail in the first round and got really lucky that the ref decided to give him plenty of opportunities to come back. At the same time, I agree that we'll probably see Lesnar hold the strap for a while. I don't like Cain or Dos Santos against him at all.

While it was a great fight, I'm really disappointed that Akiyama lost, as it's yet another blow to the Asian MMA market. With the way Asian stars are dropping like flies, we'll be lucky if there's any remaining interest in the east by the end of the year.

Yes, cardio issues aside, no way Shane Carwin can be termed a "fucking joke".

I was scratching my head that Eric "Performity" Foster was calling for a play on Lesnar, amongst other things because he believed "Carwin's 12 first round stoppages are being overvalued" or some such. How the hell could that even be overvalued? You can say that when the guy has only fought scrubs but when you start to add names like Mir and Gonzaga in their, that's objectively a pretty damned exceptional accomplishment.

Archived