MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

I heard they are thinking of throwing him at Lashley for some kind of super fight for WWE fans.

That is the long term idea. He'll need a few matches before that happens, though, I'd say.

All the publicity is good for the sport and the huge numbers of wrestling fans who are noticing the sport is a good thing but there are very few Brock Lesnar's out there. Dave Batista is not one of them.

I don't know, man. Strength matters.

They say everyone has a punchers chance.... but what if your punches are infinitely harder than Drogo's were supposed to be in Rocky?

Frank Mir has a better MMA background, by far, than Lesnar or Carwin. How did that work out for him? Strength matters most of all in heavyweight.

They say everyone has a punchers chance.... but what if your punches are infinitely harder than Drogo's were supposed to be in Rocky?

Frank Mir has a better MMA background, by far, than Lesnar or Carwin. How did that work out for him? Strength matters most of all in heavyweight.

Frank Mir is the Kendall Groves of HW. Good offensive fighter but terrible on the defensive. He can beat and be beaten by 95% of fighters in his weight class in UFC.

At over forty and with no athletic background how likely is Batista to be able to land a punch on anyone half decent. Even Lesnar, with his outstanding natural gifts, trained for two years before he got it on. Batista is giving himself a few months and a ten/fifteen year handicap. Lesnar had a very solid base to train from with his wrestling, Batista knows how to wear a pair of shades.

Sure he can hit hard enough to drop static journeymen but against anyone half decent he is a gassed out target after two minutes.

He's also pretty banged up. Pro Wrestling is a rough industry, wrestlers get injured a lot, his body has more wear and tear on it then most people his age. Combine that with a lack of experience and no real base in anything...I don't see him being much of a success.

Does anyone know what kind of effect being juiced for that long would have on a guy his age? I don't think Batista really cycled much, the dude was comically jacked for most of his WWE run.

I think Mariusz Pudzianowski Moosin stands as a pretty "strong" (heh) counter point to this. He has to be about the strongest guy to compete in MMA, and was handled by Tim Sylvia.

Strongman fights ugly man

To be fair to Pudzianowski, he fought Tim Sylvia, who, despite being a bit of a punchline these days, is still a very experienced MMA fighter. However, I don't see Bautista as anything but a freakshow. Maybe if they pit him against Jose Canseco...

To be fair to Pudzianowski, he fought Tim Sylvia, who, despite being a bit of a punchline these days, is still a very experienced MMA fighter. However, I don't see Bautista as anything but a freakshow. Maybe if they pit him against Jose Canseco...

Right, but if you are making an argument of strength being more important than MMA experience, I'm not sure there is a better example. Strongest guy in the world fights one of the more experienced (yet still a UFC dropout) and the experienced guy completely dominates the strong one.

Love that bed Yag!

Oh, and I learned to stop rooting on muscles alone way, way back around ufc 11 or something like that. Me, a buddy of mine and his cousin would always go to the bar to watch the fight and us two would always bet on the big, ripped looking motherfucker and his cousin would always put his money on the scrawny or the flabby looking guy and almost without fail the guy with the build would just get his ass handed to him by the fat ass or whatever.

Strength and muscle is an important factor, but only one factor amongst many.

Does anyone know what kind of effect being juiced for that long would have on a guy his age? I don't think Batista really cycled much, the dude was comically jacked for most of his WWE run.

High blood pressure, maybe. But I'm sure he takes something for that. Honestly, test is good for you. He could stand to lose some mass for the sake of his heart, but I'm sure he will.

Steroids do not kill you. They've never killed anyone. Ever.

I think Mariusz Pudzianowski Moosin stands as a pretty "strong" (heh) counter point to this. He has to be about the strongest guy to compete in MMA, and was handled by Tim Sylvia.

All Pudz would have needed was one punch. Granted he does not know how to fight. But he was in the fight... whereas a weak guy who was untrained would not be.

I think its time they fed bones to a Rampage or a Machida. See how that pans out. I thought he would probably win the Vlad fight but didn't think he'd buzz saw through him that quickly.

Glad to see Gomi and Okami do well.

Machida and Rampage are fighting each other for a title shot. Jones won't fight Evans, as they are training partners. I would say that leaves Forrest Griffin, Rich Franklin, Randy Couture, or little Nog for Jones. Or Anderson Silva fighting at 205.

Now that, I would pay to see.

All one has to do is look at Chael Sonnens record to know that Anderson Silva is going to go through him like a hot knife through butter. He's tapped more times in pro fights than some fighters do in a whole training camp.

The dude is a chump with an inferiority complex. A well deserved one. And this is the beginning of the end of his career.

Archived