MMA 2010: Why Always the Fighting?

Oorag

I agree. If GSP moves up then you have a WW belt which doesn't mean shit while he is still elite.

Just because Ed Moses kicked arse doesn't mean I wanted to see him run the steeplechase.

Why can't 'best at what I do' be good enough?

I'm okay with the idea of them just lining up contenders and watching GSP smoke them one by one. The problem is they seemed to have run out of contenders. GSP was so dominate over Fitch/Alves/Kos that a rematch doesn't interest me. There was all the talk before the Fitch/Alves fight about "Who has improved more?" and then the fight happens and it goes just like the first. IOW neither improved but they still are going to throw Fitch in against GSP again.

Here's the thing. You have the 2 top PfP guys in the same promotion, and close to the same weight. Who ever wins establishes themselves as the best fighter ever. I would think that would be motivation enough to get GSP to move up, but doesn't seem interested in it. If GSP was begging for the Silva fight like Penn was for the GSP fight, it would have happened by now. Now, it might be to late. If Silva loses to Sonnen or Belfort it's over. The potential for the #1 and #2 PfP guys to meet will never happen.

I could make you a very good argument that Fitch is the number 3 pound for pound fighter in the world. It is between Aldo and him for three and four either way. You don't want to see number 1/2 in the world vs number 3/4? Come on. 21 and 1 in his last 22 fights. It is not like he is being given a freebie because no one else is around. GSP doesn't feel comfortable making the jump, Silva can't make the drop. It is a moot point. Don't devalue a very worthy challenger for the sake of a fantasy fight.

I could make you a very good argument that Fitch is the number 3 pound for pound fighter in the world. It is between Aldo and him for three and four either way. You don't want to see number 1/2 in the world vs number 3/4? Come on. 21 and 1 in his last 22 fights. It is not like he is being given a freebie because no one else is around. GSP doesn't feel comfortable making the jump, Silva can't make the drop. It is a moot point. Don't devalue a very worthy challenger for the sake of a fantasy fight.

The problem is that Fitch got completely and throughly dominated by GSP. He hasn't really added anything to his game. I suppose GSP could have an off night and get caught or something, but that seems very unlikely. Even if it did happen that would just mean an immediate rematch, which also doesn't appeal to me.

To me the dream scenario is GSP moves up and takes Silvas belt. There are a ton of fun fights for GSP at MW. Maybe Silva moves up to LHW, where there are a ton of fun fights for him there. That sort of shake up would make the UFC much more interesting, than GSP just fighting rematches against over matched opponents.

The problem being that it means that neither belt means anything as the champions (GSP at MW and whoever at WW) will have Silva and GSP hanging over their heads and then everyone will want GSP and Silva to drop again to fight the current champions and then blah, blah, blah.

I hate the idea of pound-for-pound. It's so nonsensical. (Sorry, not a personal attack, but you can't make a case for a mythical idea.) Fitch would lose to every heavyweight and every 205 fighter in the UFC, so making it sound like he's one of the toughest guys in the world is ridiculous.

The problem being that it means that neither belt means anything as the champions (GSP at MW and whoever at WW) will have Silva and GSP hanging over their heads and then everyone will want GSP and Silva to drop again to fight the current champions and then blah, blah, blah.

What you consider "neither belt meaning anything" and "blah blah blah" I consider interesting drama and intrigue, leading to more interesting fights than GSP vs some smuck he's dominated before.

not sure of how good the information is yet as it is just breaking news, also named is Kurt Angle (not that that really matters).

Angle's been playing that game for a while now. Part of the reason why he's no longer involved in the WWE. Talented entertainer, though, from what I can remember.

I cannot express how jacked I am that Ontario has finally gotten off its ass and adopted legislation legalising MMA. I actually went out of the way to sign petitions and shit! Don't know if that actually had any bearing on the decision made, but if it did, yay democracy!

Who are we kidding. I'm sure the six million local revenue generated per event factor was the one and only reason the people's will won out this time.

Whatever the reasons, about fucking time!!!

Good interview. Makes me almost like Chael Sonnen.

I never really understood why people didn't like Sonnen because of his trash talk. It's like "ohhh he's hyping a fight and making it more interesting. What an asshole. I hope he loses."

Give me fights with more drama, intrigue, and meaning, not less.

Archived