Crippled God by Erikson has a release date

Calibandar

913, without appendix, 45 lines in a page, minimally longer than DoD.

Well, minimally, but if true (and this is the Transworld hardcover and not Tor) it could well send it above the wordcount of Toll the Hounds.

Dust of Dreams is between 372 and 382k words depending how you count them. Toll the Hounds 383-393k.

The official count we had pre-editing was 378k so it could still be about right.

Well, minimally, but if true (and this is the Transworld hardcover and not Tor) it could well send it above the wordcount of Toll the Hounds.

Dust of Dreams is between 372 and 382k words depending how you count them. Toll the Hounds 383-393k.

The official count we had pre-editing was 378k so it could still be about right.

Yeah, it is Transworld. Also, books may have different words density, depending on relation of dialogs vs. descriptive passages in them.

Asked on Twitter and asking again here since Pat did not want to answer:

How many pages exactly? And could you count how many lines for each page?

Need it for some calculations to check if wordcount is correct.

I'm not ignoring you, just now getting back online. Bastard looks to have answered you. I really can't comment further about how the Transworld edition which I have stacks up against the Tor edition. I would bet that with fonts and presentation that it's probably not a strait-forward comparison. Also, there are quite a few of the introduction poems to chapters and such last multiple pages at times.

Oddly, in his interview with SFX Magazine, Erikson says that the Malazan novels come in at 320-350,000 words. Which seems to be lowballing it, as the last few (all since MT, at least, and the entire series bar MT, DHG and GotM) seem to be well over 350,000 words.

Erikson also says that he's gotten back into writing, with a hint that he's already working on the Malazan prequel. Apparently this new trilogy will be a 'more traditional' fantasy epic and he is finding it interesting changing and adapting his writing voice to this new series.

I'll put it this way - Pat's review has me excited but Wert's review will finalize it for me.

While I agree that nothing matches Erikson's scope there are enough minuses to keep him with the rest of the pack.

What I do not understand is why "scope" should be valuable in itself as a novel's or novel series' feature.

While I enjoyed many of his ideas, the shortcomings of Lundin's novels are great and many, with the MBotF's "immense", "staggering", "epic" scope responsible for some of them.

What I do not understand is why "scope" should be valuable in itself as a novel's or novel series' feature.

Would you enjoy ASoIaF as much if it only featured two great houses and three POV characters? I know I wouldn't. Scope is one thing that sets epic fantasy apart from other genres. It makes for a larger, more satisfying experience in my opinion.

It's a theme among many that rises the interest of those who want to read about it.

It's not an adjective added to a substantive, in the sense that it's simply a "quantification" of something else. I understand why "scope" is seen as an empty idea from that perspective, but it's not a correct description of what Erikson writes.

"Scope" in Erikson's specific case defines the presence of themes that go beyond the immediate cravings of a human being. It's not just about a character surviving a skirmish, finding love, seizing power. But it's about tackling universal human themes that transcend that level. The cycles of history, the reshaping of beliefs, the evolution and mixing of cultures, the influence of these cultures on the perception of reality, the cataclysmic transformation of the environment and sweeping changes it has on all forms of life, the extinction of those forms of life.

It's all this that forms a broad horizon. So "scope" is a quality and not quantity, as long someone pays enough attention to grasp it.

And it's not weird at all if someone, after having read thousands of stories of daily life at the character level, wants something more ambitious and more inspiring.

Message from Erikson on Amazon:

Dear Reader,

Welcome to this, the final volume of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. For those of you who, on a whim, picked up Gardens of the Moon upon its first publication, and have stayed with me throughout this series, well, I don’t know about you but these past twelve years have been… eventful. It may be the least in significance among the myriad of our experiences over that time, but still, you and I have shared something, and for that I am thankful.

For those many others who have come late to the series or are only just beginning, no matter where you are among the nine previous volumes, the end is not only in sight, it is also, if you so choose, in your hands. If nothing else can be said of me, I have at least delivered on my commitment, and for that I remain justifiably proud and more than a little relieved.

While this series is complete on my end, do bear in mind that the world of Malaz will continue: in the works of Ian C. Esslemont, as well as in my subsequent efforts, including the ongoing tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach. What has been completed with the publication of The Crippled God, is a cycle, a series of events demanding some form of closure, and it is my hope that I have provided it to your satisfaction.

And for staying with me through this series, thank you.

Sincerely,

Steven Erikson

Does anyone here plan on reading this book come March? If so, could ya let me know of Ganoes Paran makes a substantial showing? :bowdown: Please! :cheers:

I'm about 350 pages in right now. There has been one scene so far with Ganoes near the beginning. Nothing since. However, I expect he'll play a big role in the end.

Just picked it up. The map of Kolanse is interesting, apparently confirming that the Bluerose Sea is landlocked. It also unhappily confirms the confusing information that Lether isn't far west of Korelri/Stratem, since the White Spires Ocean is apparently the body of water to the east of Kolanse (mentioned as washing against the west coast of Stratem in RotCG). What that means for Jacuruku is unclear.

Just picked it up. The map of Kolanse is interesting, apparently confirming that the Bluerose Sea is landlocked. It also unhappily confirms the confusing information that Lether isn't far west of Korelri/Stratem, since the White Spires Ocean is apparently the body of water to the east of Kolanse (mentioned as washing against the west coast of Stratem in RotCG). What that means for Jacuruku is unclear.

I love that I have read all nine books of this series and I have no idea what any of this means. Looking forward to finishing this mofo off. Come on Indigo... Ship my book...

I don't see why that contradicts the information on the map you put together a few years ago at all... you've got a big empty body of water going across the edges of the map from Kolanse to Stratem which would be the White Spires Ocean, with Jacuruku on the other side, right?

Archived