The Video Games Thread

Raskolnikov

I can warmly recommend trying out combat demo of the upcoming indie cRPG Age of Decadence, set in a poastapocalyptic low magic fantasy world inspired by fall of Roman Empire, some Lovecraftian mythos and such yummi things.

The combat demo is only about combat, of course which you have more then enough inside an Arena, fighting like a gladiator through ranks of tougher and tougher opponents - as it should be.

Combat is turn based and pretty awesome while the gear and weapons are very versatile and require some smart tactics of use.

Other then weapons and armor you have a very nice variety of different kinds of attacks at your disposal that really increase tactical side of things and are actually required for survival.

Give it a check, i doubt you will be able to exit once you enter and try the first few fights.

Also, i very much doubt many will pass the fight with three barbarians - which is the first serious challenge.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/

You asking me? I guess so... barbarians, leather, hammers... well, must be...

You should definitely buy some gear, either a better armor then you have or a better weapon.

Then it depends did you choose to go with dodge or with block as a skill.

Youre not giving me much info to go on.

Whats the name of your opponent?

Note - you should invest skill points only in one weapon and one defense skill until you get proficient enough in the game to diversify into Critical strike too. Though builds weapon + CS are also viable.

Or weapon + defense skill + CS but only for the experienced.

You asking me? I guess so... barbarians, leather, hammers... well, must be...

You should definitely buy some gear, either a better armor then you have or a better weapon.

Then it depends did you choose to go with dodge or with block as a skill.

Youre not giving me much info to go on.

Whats the name of your opponent?

Note - you should invest skill points only in one weapon and one defense skill until you get proficient enough in the game to diversify into Critical strike too. Though builds weapon + CS are also viable.

Or weapon + defense skill + CS but only for the experienced.

That's plenty help right there. I was building my guy with 8 str, 8 con, 8 per, and 8 dex, focus in one weapon, and then an even spread between dodge/block/critical. Obviously I wasn't specializing enough for the way this demo is set up.

As for the guy I cannot remember his name right now, but he's the 4th fight. I killed the thief, zealot, and crossbow guy before him. My gear consisted entirely of looted items so it's my starter bronze weapon + leather jerkin + buckler by the time I get to him.

edit: yeah, just got my ass handed to me again by him damn you Papa Yochan!

Mm yes, Papa Yochan, he as an old grisly fuck. Just killed me in my first try to fight him again.

Spreading skill points between two defensive skill can be a suicide let alone CS too.

Choose just one and stick to it for starters, as ive said.

Watch the descriptions of armors if youre going for a dodge build because armors reduce dodge chance.

Obviously if youre a block guy that doesnt concern you. Though other things will muehehe...

Using nets is pretty handy - chance to hit with them is governed by Dexterity and not throwing skill.

Its not just the demo, the whole game will require a high level of specialization depending on the build.

Diplomatic path is fully developed for Loremasters, Merchants and Grifters but if you want to be one of the fighting builds youre going to have to stick to your specialty a lot.

Oh yeah, usually if you talk to the Arena master before starting the fight youll get additional skill points, but you can assign them anytime as you get them, even during the fight.

I'm re-playing Valkyria Chronicles at the moment. Loving it all over again. Such a beautiful game. Best looking game I've seen/played ever. Other games are technically superior but the watercolour art style is just wonderful.

Best game from Sega this console generation. And my favourite game of this generation so far (and I've played Uncharted 2 and loved it).

I was miffed when they put the sequel on PSP. I really hope they bring this world back to PS3.

I've been thinking about picking up a Sci-Fi 4X style game, but I can't decide between Galactic Civilizations II or Sins of a Solar Empire. Any suggestions? Also, should I get any expansions with the game?

Gal Civ 2 is a 100% single player game, while Sins is 90% multiplayer game with a skirmish mode against a (reasonably competent) AI tacked on (which can be fun, but the focus is clearly on multiplayer). Also, the multiplayer pool for Sins is somewhat small, only a 1000 players at most... (at least, that's what I heard last time I checked their forums).

I can't comment on the Sins expansions, I haven't played either one, but for Galciv the expansions add large content and make vast changes in gameplay (Dark avatar, the first expansion, streamlines the (shared by all races) technology tree, adds more AI options, gives each race a super ability and adds mega events that intentionally shake up the playing field). Twilight of the arnor, the last expansion, gives each of the 14 races unique technology trees which encourage different playing styles.)

One criticism I have is that the AI is solid in Dark avatar, but can't always cope with the differing techtrees in Twilight. Some AI races, like the terran empire, will consistently dominate the game unless reigned in by the player, while other AIs, some of which should be a large threat according to the game lore, have the resilience of wet paper. Dark avatar AI is more balanced in that respect. (note: if you have the expansions, you can choose which game version you wish to play). Also, don't play the campaign (at least the Dread Lords campaign). It's horribly written, and the maps aren't very fun IMO. Play it for the custom/random map scenarios.

I prefer Galciv over Sins, and I wouldn't play Galciv without at least the Dark avatar expansion. Also, Sins is more of an extremely large-scale RTS than a 4X game, IMO.

I'm re-playing Valkyria Chronicles at the moment. Loving it all over again. Such a beautiful game. Best looking game I've seen/played ever. Other games are technically superior but the watercolour art style is just wonderful.

Best game from Sega this console generation. And my favourite game of this generation so far (and I've played Uncharted 2 and loved it).

I was miffed when they put the sequel on PSP. I really hope they bring this world back to PS3.

I keep toying with getting this but for some reason always end up putting it off. Have played the demo though and do love the visual style. One of the best examples of graphics not being dependent on console horsepower that I can think of.

Age of Conan, now that the Rise of the Godslayer expansion is out. A lot of new stuff since I'd played before, and certainly much better than it's dodgy release two years ago. A lot of returning players and new players which is good.

Soooo... I just bought a Wii! :thumbsup: I never planned on buying the console because of the dearth of seriously violent games for it, but it was cheap so what the hell. I just opened the box and had a good sweaty session with the free WiiSports disc bundled with it.

Now, I also got Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Resident Evil 4 and Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition. I think I'm gonna play Silent Hill first.

anyone else playing Red Dead Redemption? I love how it can be so random.

I'm still loving this game; although, traveling everywhere by horseback has started to lose its appeal. I've started to use the carriages.

The guns have a real visceral feel to them, especially the Double-Action Revolver and the Sawed-Off Shotgun.

Archived