The Video Games Thread

Raskolnikov

I picked up Metroid: Other M. Only played a little bit... it's interesting so far. The story is stupid and should have just been skipped, but the gameplay is very neat. It's played with just the Wiimote, mostly NES style, but you can move in four directions, not just two. There is a mechanic where you point at the screen to shoot missiles, which so far is mostly just awkward. Pretty fun so far though.

Nah, everything except LOTSB and possibly Overlord is overpriced. I was strictly referring to the former when I said that.

I might buy Lair of the Shadow Broker then, especailly because I :love: Liara. I didn't bang anyone in ME2 so I could stay faithful to her ;)

How much content do LOTSB and Overlord have, realistically? As in how long does it take for a normal human being to get through it, rather than the retards they must give some of these shitty FPSs to in order to proclaim "has 20 hours of content" or some utter bullshit like that on the box.

I might buy Lair of the Shadow Broker then, especailly because I :love: Liara. I didn't bang anyone in ME2 so I could stay faithful to her ;)

How much content do LOTSB and Overlord have, realistically? As in how long does it take for a normal human being to get through it, rather than the retards they must give some of these shitty FPSs to in order to proclaim "has 20 hours of content" or some utter bullshit like that on the box.

Overlord has 4 decent length missions in it. I've been playing it for the last 2 hours or so between chatting online and eating, so it seems to have about an hour or so of content. It feels like there isn't much action but I'm also plowing through with my strongest Shep, so it's a bit one sided. Two missions involve use of the Hammerhead, so it really depends on how much you like vehicle play. LOTSB I've heard is amazing, but I have not started it yet.

Playtime of course is somewhat dependent on difficulty and class. A soldier (or a Vanguard who does not suffer any Charge glitches...) will plow through both a bit faster than an adept, particularly on Insanity. I'd guess 2-3 hours for LOTSB, 1-2 for Overlord.

Halo: Reach. When I get off work tomorrow, it will be waiting for me ^_^

My schedule is free tomorrow, I might go pick it up at the midnight launch near me tonight and try it out. It does look fantastic, I can't wait.

I'm going to try to snag a copy of Halo: Reach at midnight. Already played the multiplayer beta so I'm really looking forward to the campaign. I prefer co-op campaigning so I suppose my husband won't be getting any sleep tonight either hehe

My local Best Buy is giving away free beanies or inflatable swords with the purchase ;)

Playtime of course is somewhat dependent on difficulty and class. A soldier (or a Vanguard who does not suffer any Charge glitches...) will plow through both a bit faster than an adept, particularly on Insanity. I'd guess 2-3 hours for LOTSB, 1-2 for Overlord.

Yea I have a Soldier who I completed the game with on Insanity with ease. Soldier is just stupidly powerful. I really enjoy vanguards too.

I never got into adepts which kinda makes me sad, though I never got to play a high level one. Part of the problem is that the game actually gets easier the further you get because of upgrades (hp upgrades, damage reduction upgrades, weapon/power damage upgrades, power cooldown decreasing upgrades) and because you actually get access to decent powers when you are a high level. I mean for instance I struggled so hard with my Vanguard until I could power up my charge to restore my shields. I guess this is especially true with power focused classes when you need those powers to be decent if you want to get anywhere with them.

Edit: And based on their lengths they might be worth it, maybe. But 5 hours max for ~£10 is still a lot. And before someone says "but Poobah, most games these days are only x hours long and cost x so this is a great deal" well guys I don't buy 99% of games released these days because they contain fuck all content and are a massive rip off and are usually clones of one another or vastly generic and otherwise shit. I think most massive games companies like EA and Activision should fuck off and die before they irredeemably corrupt the entire industry.

At this point if I had the power to purge the games industry, of the big names I'd probably only save Valve, Bioware (I know EA owns them but I'd burn the rest of EA, maybe saving their sports division because I'm told those games aren't absolutely abysmal unlike every other EA home made offering so there might be a spark of hope there) and Bethesda on the condition that their upcoming Elder Scrolls V had better be good. Bioware and Bethesda would also have a sword of Damocles hanging over them and ready to drop if they started selling bullshit 'dlc' again too. I'd personally show up to take the scythe to Bobby Kotick. I might save some parts of Blizzard but all signs seem to be saying that all the creativity and brilliance there has been bled out of them over the years while they grew morbidly obese suckling at the greasy tit of the fat cash sow that is WoW. Most smaller studios would be exempt from my wrath.

Archived