Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

I've just discovered that Nuclear Assault (yes, that Nuclear Assault), Arsis and Acrassicauda are playing an all-ages show in NYC in early October. (they are also playing in Baltimore at Sonar). OK, first: all-ages show! I haven't been to one of those in...shit, I can't remember. With that headliner, it's going to be like I'm 16 all over again. :lol: Plus, Acrassicauda! I've been waiting for these guys to do a show in the area, and now they are! \m/

How much deos this suck? If I buy enough stuff from HMV then I'll have enough points on my rewards card to get a free pair of tickets for Helloween's London show in December. Problem? It's in London and I'll have exams around that time. What a load of crap. :( If only bands did proper tours.

Yeah he was the main songwriter in the band. Portnoy, Petrucci and Myung were the core of the band but it always seemed like Portnoy was in charge of things. He's said that his involvement with Avenged Sevenfold has nothing do with it but it will be very interesting to see what he does next. He still has Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic.

My disbelief at the news was my gchat status for the past day.

DT always likes to throw out an album that is different than what came before it. If you want a new creative force behind the kit, my outlandish idea that probably has zero chance of happening would be to get Proscriptor to join. That would be a shot in the arm of pure weirdness.

Yeah, I was stunned when I heard the news, though after the past two albums, I've been thinking that they might need a bit of a creative shot in the arm. Too bad it seems that they'll get it with the loss of one of their core, founding members.

I am glad I got to see them all at least once when they opened for Maiden.

Ghost of Perdition remains one of my favorite Opeth songs. I've loved Ghost Reveries from the first listen. Good choice :thumbsup:.

:thumbsup:

I got into Opeth last year when they supported Dream Theater on the Progressive Nation European tour. 'Ghost Reveries' is certainly a fantastic album: 'The Baying of the Hounds' and 'Harlequin Forest/Reverie' (see my signature) are my favourites. :)

I'm really liking "The Grand Conjuration" the most at the moment. That's no mark against "Baying of the Hounds" which is also great.

And for all the recent talk of Opeth in this thread, I remain one of the few metalheads who just totally does not get the Opeth love. I'm not sure I could find more snooze-inducing music if I tried.

It took me a while to get into them. Blackwater Park just bored the hell out of me when I first heard it. It still does actually.

My disbelief at the news was my gchat status for the past day.

DT always likes to throw out an album that is different than what came before it. If you want a new creative force behind the kit, my outlandish idea that probably has zero chance of happening would be to get Proscriptor to join. That would be a shot in the arm of pure weirdness.

On another forum, I suggested the following drummers (somewhat out of perversity):

Proscriptor

Charlie Zeleny (Blotted Science, Behold!..the Arctopus)

The current drummer for Gorguts (forgetting his name at the moment)

The drummer for Wormed, who times the beats to be out of phase with the music on purpose

Another wag (who is also a drummer) suggested Phil Rudd, the drummer for AC/DC with the comment "It'll be great -- all the DT fans will be asking each other 'when's he gonna do a fill?'" A friend responded, "nah, they'll be asking 'when's he going to stop playing in 4/4?'" :lol:

I don't know if any of you are hitting up the Katatonia tour, but from first hand experience, it was downright fantastic.

I'm not a huge fan of Orphaned Land, or Swallow the Sun, and I don't like the new Katatonia album, but each band put on a great live performance and had great energy. If it's stopping near you and you like doom, definitely check it out.

I was there mostly for my friends and Gwynbleidd, who opened in NY and played some new material on stage. A quick conversation with the band afterward revealed that they're working on 4 or 5 new songs and want to get to work on another album.

I was there mostly for my friends and Gwynbleidd, who opened in NY and played some new material on stage. A quick conversation with the band afterward revealed that they're working on 4 or 5 new songs and want to get to work on another album.

New Gwynbleidd album in the works? Sweet!

I've only seen them once, but I've heard them play a number of times. They practice in the same hallway of the same studio building that I practice in on occasion.

I don't know if any of you are hitting up the Katatonia tour, but from first hand experience, it was downright fantastic.

Damn. I saw them at Sonisphere and they were pretty disappointing. Must've just been having an off day. :crying:

Katatonia is one of the only bands to have put me into a coma during a live show.

What a dreadful, wimpy, boring band. Ugh.

Personally, I wasn't expecting anything fantastic because of the nature of their music. They really played a great set though. They'll never play their harsh vocal stuff which is unfortunate, but they really surprised me. Maybe they just really like NY?

Archived