Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

Tsavong Lah, how does Hammer of the North compare to Wolf's Return?

I'm going to have to pick up that Ludicra album on your recommendation, Martha. If it sucks, I'm blaming you. :angry:

I don't want to compare it to Wolf's Return, as I don't think that is really fair. It is a good album, classic Grand Magus, which is maybe a bit of the problem with it. I felt like Iron Will had a few moments that really stood apart from other GM stuff, maybe not in terms of quality but in terms of style. I haven't found that yet on Hammer of the North, but I do like it. And if you like a lot of GM stuff, you'll enjoy the album.

Just a quick rundown of the good stuff I've listened to that didn't get in my last post (because I realize I don't have time to list it all).

Morticalum - Progress of Doom

Nominom - Monumentomb

Onheil - Razor

Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide - has the new drummer from Blind Guardian

Sotajumala - Kuolemanpalvelus

Check them all out. No time for reviews.

Sonisphere was fantastic. I had a great time. :D On Friday morning I began a marathon coach journey from Edinburgh to Knebworth at 5am after a minibus (more like a glorified taxi) took a small group of people down form Aberdeen, Dundee and Perth. We got to the festival siteabout 2pm and my friends and I had our tents set up by 3. of the Friday bands Turisas were probably the best, despite the fact that their music is so bad. :laugh: There was the utter pointlessness of the first 40 minutes of Europe's set, 50,000 people were only there for the last 5! (doo-doo doo-da-doo-doo-doo doo-doo-doo...) Alice Cooper was very entertaining even though I only know two of his songs. On Saturday I saw Sabaton, Soulfly and Anthrax all of whom were excellent but you can't beat a bit of Motley Crue and then Rammstein. There have been some rumours that Saturday night was supposed to be their last ever show because Till has Ocholophobia (fear of crowds). They only played for 90 minutes though instead of the usual 2 hours which everyone was dissapointed by. :( On Sunday I stayed at the main stage the whole day waiting for Iron Maiden and had to stand through Madina Lake and Pendulum (who were quite entertaining actually, but they are still not a rock band) but at least Slayer were better than they were the first time I saw them. As for all you who have moaned about Iron Maiden's setlist I really couldn't care less what songs they play, I'll go anyway. That was the third time I've seen them and for me it was the best yet. If you'd been playing 'Run to the Hills', 'The Trooper' and '2 Minutes to Midnight' for 25 years then I'm sure you'd want to change it up a but as well. If they're not going to play songs from their recent albums then they may as well not release them at all.

But anyway, an awesome weekend, and I didn't get home till 10:20pm on Monday. :laugh:

So I didn't get to see the big 4 live, but I did just purchase tickets to see Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament on August 21st in St. Paul. Now I'm trying to find someone else willing to go with me, as I don't really have friends in the Twin Cities that like metal. I might get my brother in law to go, as he at least kind of likes Megadeth. The prospect of a free ticket might seal the deal.

Megadeth and Testament are better than Metallica anyway. I hope they both come back to the UK soon, and I wouldn't mind seeing Metallica either.

Has anyone heard the new Blind Guardian album yet? I've listened to it a few times and it doesn't live up to hype one review gave it of "Blind Guardian have returned to their speed metal roots" which they have not. If anything, they've probablt veered further away from their roots than ever. 'War of the Thrones' is a bitter dissapointment as it doesn't do ASOIAF any justice what so ever. 'Curse my Name' is probably the best song on the album. Mabye next year they'll come do a show in Scotland for once. (although I highly doubt it)

Megadeth and Testament are better than Metallica anyway. I hope they both come back to the UK soon, and I wouldn't mind seeing Metallica either.

Has anyone heard the new Blind Guardian album yet? I've listened to it a few times and it doesn't live up to hype one review gave it of "Blind Guardian have returned to their speed metal roots" which they have not. If anything, they've probablt veered further away from their roots than ever. 'War of the Thrones' is a bitter dissapointment as it doesn't do ASOIAF any justice what so ever. 'Curse my Name' is probably the best song on the album. Mabye next year they'll come do a show in Scotland for once. (although I highly doubt it)

I've listened to it a few times so far. I think it is a huge step above A Twist in the Myth. That album was the first time I'd ever been disappointed by BG. I really enjoy this new album, but it doesn't live up to the classics. However, the bards shouldn't be embarrassed to have it as part of their catalog. I have the suspicion that it is going to grow on me. Initially I didn't much care for the song "A Voice in the Dark", but now I love it. Since I've listened to it more than the rest of the album, it's had a chance to grow on me more. I'll see in about a week how I feel about it.

here i am lounging on the couch watching the iron maiden documentary 'somewhere back in time', drinking a bit of beer and just full of the youthful giddiness i have constantly felt for no less than the last 20+ years hearing songs like 'powerslave' and 'the trooper.' certainly newer maiden in not the greatest, but the older stuff and their ability to play it with fervor and intensity still awes me. watching this and seeing thousands upon thousands of fellow maiden fans around the globe makes me feel so amazed.

mock if you must. feel free to tell me how old and sold out maiden is. if you like go ahead and tell me how only black metal is true metal. call me old. call me lame. it is all good.

up the irons, i say! up the fucking irons!

:cheers:

I was going to say "you should try watching the Flight 666 documentary too" but then I realised it was probably exactly the same one, just rebranded for the sensitive Christians on your side of the pond. Such a bizarrely heartwarming film! And yes, Maiden do still kick serious arse. :D

I've listened to it a few times so far. I think it is a huge step above A Twist in the Myth. That album was the first time I'd ever been disappointed by BG. I really enjoy this new album, but it doesn't live up to the classics. However, the bards shouldn't be embarrassed to have it as part of their catalog. I have the suspicion that it is going to grow on me. Initially I didn't much care for the song "A Voice in the Dark", but now I love it. Since I've listened to it more than the rest of the album, it's had a chance to grow on me more. I'll see in about a week how I feel about it.

'At the Edge of Time' is definitely a good album, but it's not great like the early Blind Guardian albums like 'Imaginations from the Other Side' or 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'. However, Blind Guardian unlike, say, Metallice, are still capable of writing a good, consistent album. Obviously the two bands aren't comparable in terms of musical style but all great bands decline at some point, however some of them can pick themselves up again.

here i am lounging on the couch watching the iron maiden documentary 'somewhere back in time', drinking a bit of beer and just full of the youthful giddiness i have constantly felt for no less than the last 20+ years hearing songs like 'powerslave' and 'the trooper.' certainly newer maiden in not the greatest, but the older stuff and their ability to play it with fervor and intensity still awes me. watching this and seeing thousands upon thousands of fellow maiden fans around the globe makes me feel so amazed.

mock if you must. feel free to tell me how old and sold out maiden is. if you like go ahead and tell me how only black metal is true metal. call me old. call me lame. it is all good.

up the irons, i say! up the fucking irons!

I've never considered Black metal to be "true metal" (although it is tr00 though). There was one interview with Bruce Dickinson where he was asked about metal being sexist and he said that metal isn't sexist, it's inclusive, women are welcome to join it's just that not that many want to. The irony of Black metal is that its exclusive and doesn't remotely follow the same message that the original metal bands carried. To me Black metal isn't true metal at all, it's just shit.

Yeah, bands like Summoning, Darkthrone, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Immortal, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Absu, Melechesch, Dissection, Abigor, Burzum, Desaster, Deströyer 666, Nokturnal Mortum, Tormentor (Hun), Celtic Frost, are all shit. :rolleyes:

mock if you must. feel free to tell me how old and sold out maiden is. if you like go ahead and tell me how only black metal is true metal. call me old. call me lame.

I was 100% with you (nothing beats old-school Maiden) until this last part. Lame flamebait, really. Who here has ever suggested anything remotely like that?

Yeah, bands like Summoning, Darkthrone, Varathron, Rotting Christ, Immortal, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Absu, Melechesch, Dissection, Abigor, Burzum, Desaster, Deströyer 666, Nokturnal Mortum, Tormentor (Hun), Celtic Frost, are all shit. :rolleyes:

In my opinion, yes.

Imo yes. Different tastes and all that.

saw american carnage in philly last night, great show

testament was great but a short set.

Megadeth was spot on, Dave sounded good (vocals) for a change

Slayer killed, although 90% of Slayer fans are DOPES

Imo yes. Different tastes and all that.

Well, it's been established that you have no taste and probably don't even like metal at all, so I don't know what you're doing in this thread.

In my opinion, yes.

Anyone who calls Venom or Mercyful Fate "shit" knows nothing about metal, period. And I'm not even a huge Venom fan.

Edit: is Xray still around? I recall a PM conversation from a few months ago where I explained why I rarely bothered with such threads... well, here's why. ;)

Well, it's been established that you have no taste and probably don't even like metal at all, so I don't know what you're doing in this thread.

Anyone who calls Venom or Mercyful Fate "shit" knows nothing about metal, period. And I'm not even a huge Venom fan.

Edit: is Xray still around? I recall a PM conversation from a few months ago where I explained why I rarely bothered with such threads... well, here's why. ;)

Nevermind

Is it because you can't accept other people's opinions about music?

Had my last tattoo session last night. An amusing crop of bands, suspiciously like the previous session.

Last time was:

Watain -- Lawless Darkness

Mercyful Fate -- Melissa

Manowar -- Kings of Metal

I -- Between Two Worlds*

Last night (thankfully a shorter session and not nearly as painful)

Mercyful Fate -- Don't Break the Oath (only half of this one, as it was playing when the session started)

Ragnarok -- Blackdoor Miracle

Manowar -- Kings of Metal**

* I had originally thought that this was Immortal's All Shall Fall album, one with which I am not very familiar. But upon a listen once I wasn't in considerable agony, I've decided it was probably I. We had been talking about both bands earlier in the session.

** by request of the other tattoo artist in the room. we had so much fun bellowing "other bands play, manowar kill!" the last time we were all locked in the basement studio together that a reprise seemed proper.

Mostly I'm just wondering what the hell kind of music gets played if a client isn't into metal. I'm going to have to ask my artist when I see him again in September.

Speaking of Ragnarok -- their 2010 album is actually pretty good. I'm not sure I'd give it the 90% it has on MA right now -- I think 85% is closer to the mark. But I was expecting to be utterly disappointed and I was not. :)

And in other news, it seems like Lykathea Aflame may actually record and release another album. Yes, hoping for this is like hoping that Wintersun will finally finish that second album, too, but I refuse to give up hope just yet. :P

All I can say, is that if I only had classic-style heavy metal, I would be bored. I love it, still listen to the style frequently, but I need a little more variety. Black metal (and death and doom and others) appeal to a very different mood.

That's not to say there isn't some stuff I consider shit, most of which is juvenile metalcore. But the idea that there is one style of "true metal" is ridiculous. There is original metal (although unless you are listening to Blue Cheer clones you aren't listening to "original" metal), and there is metal that has been inspired, changed, evolved, and experimented with. Some will be bad, some will be good.

Archived