The Books We Are Expecting in 2011

Werthead

Emma Bull is a notoriously slow author and even when she came out with Territory back in 2007, there was a collective sigh to be heard when it became clear it was to be the first book of a duology. No idea if and when a sequel will come out, sadly for her fans.

Not a promising review for the Robopocalypse book, I agree.

The Ken Scholes book is not done yet. I think Gilman intends to finish the Half Made World second half this year, so hopefully first half of 2012. Don't think 2011 was ever on the cards, even though it may have seemed that way, and I was certainly hoping for it. I am bothered though that the Rjurik Davidson isn't coming out. I have read the short stories and he is very good, and his debut is highly anticipated by quite a few. He stated a while ago that the book would come out in 2011. Apparently not.

I have sampled the Brennan books, they are interesting but a bit too, how shall I say this, feminine for me, mainly in terms of characterization. The fae element is handled very well, but the women in the books ( of course) take centre stage, and the men are rather wimpy.

Lev Grossman has taken time off ( again) from his day job at Time Magazine to finally finish Magician King. As per my last check he is still not done. The idea was and still is to publish in the Fall of 2011.

Done:

Brayan's Gold by Peter V. Brett

The Crippled God by Steven Erikson

The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder

The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

On the way:

A Dance with Dragons by GRRM

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

The Book of Transformations by Mark Charon Newton

The Cold Commands by Richard K. Morgan

THe Dragon Arcana by Pierre Pevel

The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham

The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley

Ganymede by Cherie Priest

The Inheritance by Robin Hobb

The Kingdom of Gods by NK Jemesin

The Perfect Shadow by Brent Weeks

The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

The Third Section by Jasper Kent

Triumff: A Double Falsehood by Dan Abnett

The White-Luck Warrior by R. Scott Bakker

Depending on reviews by Adam, Pat, and Aidan:

Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick

Babylon Steel by Gaie Sebold

Dancing with Bears by Michael Swanwick

Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente

Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence

Song of the Earth by Elspeth Cooper

Spellbound by Blake Charlton

Sword of Fire and Sea: The Chaos Knight

Unremembered by Peter Orullian

The Winds of Khalakovo

Am I missing any buzz worthy fantasy debuts here?

We can take that with a gram of salt, but it does indicate that Goodkind did change editors at some point. I must admit I thought he was with Frenkel all the way through, based on some comments Stego made a few years back (from a Worldcon, I believe) where Frenkel was making some noise on a panel about how Goodkind had changed fantasy and being bullish about Goodkind being a good author. I may be completely misremembering that though.

Frenkel was the editor and then it changed to Neilsen-Hayden, yes.

Both editors are jackholes.

Since The Unremembered is receiving quite a promotional push from Tor Books, I went ahead and interviewed Peter Orullian. Quite the class act, really, which made me even more interested in his debut. :)

You can check out the interview here.

Cheers,

Patrick

You can read excerpts from Dancing with Bears on Amazon.com, check it out and then decide. It is his first novel featuring the con men Darger & Surplus, after having received acclaim for his short stories featuring them.

Looks like Lev Grossman has turned in Magician King, it now appears on Amazon.con with an August release date:

http://www.amazon.com/Magician-King-Novel-Lev-Grossman/dp/0670022314/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300713743&sr=1-2

Synopsis:

Hailed as a “painfully perceptive novel of the fantastic that brings to mind both Jay McInerney and J. K. Rowling,”* The Magicians was praised as a triumph by readers and critics of both mainstream and fantasy literature. Now Grossman takes us back to Fillory, where the Brakebills graduates have fled the sorrows of the mundane world, only to face terrifying new challenges.

Quentin and his friends are now the kings and queens of Fillory, but the days and nights of royal luxury are starting to pall. After a morning hunt takes a sinister turn, Quentin and his old friend Julia charter a magical sailing ship and set out on an errand to the wild outer reaches of their kingdom. Their pleasure cruise becomes an adventure when the two are unceremoniously dumped back into the last place Quentin ever wants to see: his parent’s house in Chesterton, Massachusetts. And only the black, twisted magic that Julia learned on the streets can save them.

The Magician King is a grand voyage into the dark, glittering heart of magic, an epic quest for the Harry Potter generation. It also introduces a powerful new voice, that of Julia, whose angry genius is thrilling. Once again Grossman proves that he is the modern heir to C.S. Lewis, and the cutting edge of literary fantasy.

PW reviews several cool things this week, [along with some mainstream novels which look really quite interesting.] Some of the stuff I think is of most concern to us here:

John Scalzi's Fuzzy Nation receives a shiny review complete with star. I won't quote the whole thing because I don't think they like that, and they deserve page views like everyone else, but the summing-up bit goes like:

Publishers Weekly:

A perfectly executed plot clicks its way to a stunning courtroom showdown in a cathartic finish that will thrill Fuzzy fans old and new. [May]

Their reviewer thinks Michael Swanwick's Dancing With Bears is very good [of course], but has one reservation...

Publishers Weekly:

Unfortunately, the plot requires Darger and Surplus to separate for much of the book, depriving readers of their entertaining banter. ... Swanwick doesn't stint the whimsy while touching on the sadness and joy at the core of a story about losing the past to gain the future. (May)

Some of the shit in this book sounds crack-your-skull-open-and-stir-the-insides cool, based just on the PW plot blurb.

And they think Mieville's Embassytown is pretty cool as well:

Publishers Weekly:

Miéville's brilliant storytelling shines most when Avice [the protagonist] works through problems and solutions that develop from the Hosts' unique and convoluted linguistic evolution, and many of the most intriguing characters are the Hosts themselves. The result is a world masterfully wrecked and rebuilt. (May)

I would like to read that book, please.

Bernard Cornwell's Death of a King will be published in October:

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/50433/making-of-england-6-bernard-cornwell-9780007331789

The sixth novel in Cornwell’s Making of England series, following on from the bestselling THE BURNING LAND.

As the ninth century wanes, England appears about to be plunged into chaos once more. For the Viking-raised but Saxon-born warrior, Uhtred, whose life seems to shadow the making of England, this presents him with difficult choices. King Alfred is dying and his passing threatens the island of Britain to renewed warfare. Alfred wants his son, Edward, to succeed him but there are other Saxon claimants to the throne as well as ambitious pagan Vikings to the north.

Uhtred‘s loyalty – and his vows – were to Alfred, not to his son, and despite his long years of service to Alfred, he is still not committed to the Saxon cause. His own desire is to reclaim his long lost lands and castle to the north. But the challenge to him, as the king’s warrior, is that he knows that he will either be the means of making Alfred’s dream of a united and Christian England come to pass or be responsible for condemning it to oblivion. This novel is a dramatic story of the power of tribal commitment and the terrible difficulties of divided loyalties. This is the making of England magnificently brought to life by the master of historical fiction.

From the Orbit catalogue, what I like the look of is the epic Fantasy debut Seven Princes by John Fultz, The Troupe by the talented Robert Jackson Bennett and the new big SF novel by Kim Stanley Robinson might be interesting as well.

Is said Orbit catalogue accessible again then? Or did you just get a look at it before it was taken down? I still get "page not found".

Interesting book I don't think I'd heard of reviewed positively in Publishers Weekly this week: The Map of Time, a time-travel novel by one Felix J. Palma. Cautious of time travel narrative, but it can be great if done right and this sounds potentially interesting:

Publishers Weekly:

Spanish author Palma makes his U.S. debut with the brilliant first in a trilogy, an intriguing thriller that explores the ramifications of time travel in three intersecting narratives. In the opening chapter, set in 1896 England ... bla bla bla plot. Palma brings Wells and other historical figures like Joseph Merrick, the Elephant Man, plausibly to life. Susannah Clarke fans will be delighted. (June)

For Clarke fans, eh? A bold claim. Interesting.

They also review The White Luck Warrior, but they don't really say anything surprising about that: its complexly plotted, it refines the characters, its impossible to tell hero from villain, and its very good. So more or less as expected then.

Positive reviews also for Liane Merciel's Heaven's Needle, [conventional but very well-done high fantasy that tackles tough stuff while remaining entertaining seems to be the gist], and Hobb/Lindholm's collection Inheritance.

And Genaviv Valentine's Mechanique gets a starred review. Have some:

Publishers Weekly:

This steampunk-flavored circus story begins with a disturbing undertone, like an out-of-tune calliope, and develops in hints and shadows. Touring a drained postwar world, the Mechanical Circus Tresaulti rarely visits a city twice in anyone's lifetime; borders are lax, and lives are short. ... Fans of grim fantasy will love this menacing and fascinating debut. (May)

Hmmmm. I'm curious as to other people's opinions on Swanwick. I picked up and read The Dragons of Babel a few years ago on a whim, and wasn't very impressed by it. Is his other work any better? I wouldn't want to miss out of some strong fantasy if I'm judging him from something that wasn't the norm in terms of his quality.

Archived