I just restarted Baldur's Gate II: SoA!

Demonblade

If its a new game/remake as opposed to just an HD update I sure hope they replace the combat system with something better; I really dislike using actual D&D rules in video games. Not saying turn it into a hack and slash, but do something.

It would be like chrismas and new years at once if they released just a HD remake. Best game series ever. I play through every year or so, BG 1, TotSC, BG2 SOA and ToB it usually takes me 300-350 hours to play through all the way. Thats some bang for your gaming buck right there.

• 2 weeks later...

HD update would be great. Anything else I'd be a little wary of. I doubt it's possible to make BG into a FPS, but i'd be suprised if a remake didn't turn out to be some sort of over the shoulder slash-fest.

I'd rather it's will be the opposite... Also I am betting on it's being a "mega mod", that encompassing all the mods in one easy package.(it was kind of annoying to setup a game last time I played the game, with that annoying spoiler setup)

on related topic, that would probably struck a cord with many of the people here, It seems that fargo got his Wasteland 2 project running :)

What we know so far:

Enhanced, high-res graphics. Still 2D isometric, no 3D content.

Improved UI. Whether this is the BG2 UI imported to BG1, or a whole new interface, is unclear.

At the moment, compatible with most existing mods and with original saved games. They're hoping there's no code changes forced on them which will make them incompatible.

All of the content of the original game, including original VOs and music.

New content, including some new characters who will have newly-recorded VOs. New content is being worked on by some of the original writers of BG1+2.

The games will retain the D&D 2E rules. As the creator points out, moving to 3/4E would necessitate a ground-level rewrite, which is not possible.

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will include Tales of the Sword Coast. Out in Summer 2012.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition will include Throne of Bhaal. Out 'later'.

If the two games are successful, they may be able to make a Baldur's Gate III.

So far, digital download only. No retail boxed copies.

Oddly, platforms have not been announced. Everyone's assuming PC and possibly Mac and tablets/phones. No word on console versions (highly unlikely, IMO).

Boo will be present, untarnished from his Mass Effect cameos.

I'm presuming that by BG3 they mean a similar game (2D, Infinity Engine) maybe set in the same Sword Coast region, but probably not involving the same characters. ToB pretty much wrapped up the Bhaalspawn story. Some cameos would be nice but otherwise I think a new story is the way to go.

Interestingly, Obsidian were talking about making a new 2D Infinity Engine Icewind Dale III a while ago. I wonder if this project's announcement and their new game being cancelled are in any way linked. I doubt the new game was ID3 (seven months seems a long development time for a 2D IE game) but interesting anyway.

Archived