ASOIAF Weight Loss Challenge II

Seventh Pup

I'm sorry but there is no way you're burning 1500 calories during training. Unless you're a professional athlete.

A very highly trained athlete can burn about 15 cal/min sustainably for 90 minutes. That comes down to 1350 calories which is still short. Moderately trained individuals are closer to 10 cal/min and begginers somewhere between 5-10 cal/min.

With that said, I'm not trying to be a prick about it. It's just very common among untrained people and people trying to lose weight to massively overestimate their calorie consumption during training. In the long run if you're serious about losing fat, it's better if you can estimate the impact of training on calorie consumption more realistically.

i am only going on what it says on the equipment in the gym (which is brand new). i work at around 300 watts on the cross trainer and bike which works out at about 16 - 17 calories a minute. one the treadmill i run at 10-11 km an hour at 4-5% gradient, i weigh 15 stone, it says i am doing 17 - 18 calories a minute. stair master says i'm burning 15 calories a minute. i doubt all 4 machines are wrong. though i am aware of the general inacuracies of gym equipment in guestimating how many calories you burn.

i have just been on few excercise websites and they all say my numbers are about right for my height, weight and effort. where are you getting your numbers from?

I'm fucking frustrated. I feel like I work hard, have cut out things I love, and all for nothing. I know some of it is bloat, but I feel I'm stuck in cycle where I do fine for a few weeks then I get my period and I start all over again the next month. I just feel like my body is fighting me losing any weight. Like it wants me to be mediocre for the rest of my life. Gah.

Nichole, So sorry you are having such a tough time at it :grouphug: Is it that you give up your good ways during that time? Or is that your body just isn't letting go of the weight no matter what?

I've been working my way up from half assing mandatory training 3 times a week to running 3 miles 3 days a week, and (stationary) biking 15 miles 3 times a week, and I just started lifting 3 times a week again. The plan is to bike 45 miles a week and run 15. Oh, and get as strong as I was at the end of my deployment. I eat a lot. I tried light beer last night. ugh. Maybe I'll try just not drinking during the week.

Nichole, So sorry you are having such a tough time at it :grouphug: Is it that you give up your good ways during that time? Or is that your body just isn't letting go of the weight no matter what?

I feel like it is that my body is not giving up the weight. I follow my diet with the occasional chocolate thrown it, but that is no different from the rest of the month. And I exercise. Ugh, I'm not meaning to be all "poor me" I'm just frustrated right now.

TLM, I decided to not drink beer at all rather than switch to light beer. That stuff is nasty and just reminds you have great regular beer is.

I feel like it is that my body is not giving up the weight. I follow my diet with the occasional chocolate thrown it, but that is no different from the rest of the month. And I exercise. Ugh, I'm not meaning to be all "poor me" I'm just frustrated right now.

:grouphug: I'm sorry, Nichole, that is really frustrating. It sounds like you've hit some kind of plateau, where you just go back and forth between a small range of weight. Just keep at it and you'll get through this and start losing again. Can you up your cardio at all to increase fat burning, maybe?

Anyway, just know you have our support through your frustration!

My newest tweak is going to be to start doing bodyweight squats each night.

I still don't think I'm losing any fat, which is really getting annoying to me considering I don't snack, stopped drinking sugary drinks, and a rough caloric estimate for my meals would be 1700-1800/day. Not much else I can do considering I'm already hunger almost all the time.

On the plus side I definitely starting to bulk up in muscle some, but only in my upper-body because its been all push-ups and pull-ups; hence why I'm going to start squats.

I forget if you are doing typically high rep or low rep stuff, I think it was more like "Right now I can only do x but I'm aiming to do xx," right? I'm gonna go ahead and say bodyweight squats are going to be ridiculously easy for you, because they seem to be ridiculously easy for everyone who isn't obese. So I'd say if you are going to add in bodyweight squats and you can do 100-200 without too much of a problem then switch to lunges and if they are still easy try moving on to frog jumps.

You didn't come across that way at all. This is the place to vent and rage away about these issues so I say feel free to do so when you need to. It is frustrating to deal with. The whole point is not to let the frustration stop you from continuing. From all the pictures I've seen of you, you look pretty good and I think you are at that point where since you don't have a lot of excess to loose, its going to be a fight to get rid of the next few pounds to get where you want to be. But if you keep at it and do it the right healthy way you will benefit in the end.

Guest Raidne

I did my research and while a breast overall is a better choice as dinner, one drumstick and one wing only has 240 calories. Thank god. Fortunately, one of my coworkers made pasta salads with whole wheat pasta, couscous, etc. He is currently a god to me. And the deviled eggs were made with mustard-only. But there were also brownies...overall, the whole thing cost me 680 freaking calories, the largest ticket item being one 2-inch brownie. I only have 350 calories left for dinner. Ugh.

its 20 min each on cross trainer, bike and stairmaster and 30 mins on treadmill. i weigh 15 stone ish so the calories drop off fairly quickly. if i weighed myself after i reckon i'd have lost 8lb in sweat alone.

i know the machines in the gym are not 100% acurate but they give a good rough guideline and are good for targets if nothing else.

Unless you are maintaining a very fast pace indeed its very unlikely. You'd be just above the 200 pounds referenced here and as you can see, you're still unlikely to hit 1,500 calories. Not unless you're hitting 8 minute miles rates for 90 minutes. And that's pretty unlikely. I don't think calorie counters are worth a damn, except to compare two sessions on the same machine. The counter might be able to tell you that one workout was more intense than another, but the count itself ain't going to be accurate.

A few hundred calories per hour can be burned off by taking part in a wide range of physical activities. The calories-per-hour listed here are based on a person who weighs 155 pounds. Someone who weighs 200 pounds should tack on 25 percent to the number of calories burned.

Aerobic Movement

Aerobics, high impact 511

Aerobics, low impact 365

Aerobics, water 292

Bicycling (10 mph) 292

Tennis 584

Dancing 354

Ice skating 511

Jogging (5 mph) 584

Rollerblading 913

Rope jumping 730

Rowing, stationary 511

Running (8 mph) 986

Stair treadmill 657

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/30424-one-hour-activity-list-calories/#ixzz0yDRjH2JU

I'm fucking frustrated. I feel like I work hard, have cut out things I love, and all for nothing. I know some of it is bloat, but I feel I'm stuck in cycle where I do fine for a few weeks then I get my period and I start all over again the next month. I just feel like my body is fighting me losing any weight. Like it wants me to be mediocre for the rest of my life. Gah.

Damn, I'm sorry. I've been there. The "lulls" in weight loss are so frustrating. It's like I'll have a good week, then the next week I work harder for minimal result. I know that when I "ride it out," I will dig out of that weirdo rut, but sometimes waiting for things to catch up is wearisome and disheartening.

This sucks. I hope things pick up. For me, it's the long haul that seems so long and difficult, like it's such an epic battle and I'll lay in bed and wonder, "is this all worth it?"

But, I do know this. On the days I stick to my plan, I go to bed and wake up feeling good about myself. On the days I slip, I wake up with a big ole pit in my stomach.

Is there something we all can do to help you? Name it!

Is there something we all can do to help you? Name it!

All the support has been great, thanks. I've just been having one of those days when all the old insecurities come back and convince me I'll not succeed.

Lie and tell me the Cake Shop that owns my soul is closed.

It's closed. Don't even call or go by there cause there is no one there and your soul is your own.

I'm sorry but there is no way you're burning 1500 calories during training. Unless you're a professional athlete.

A very highly trained athlete can burn about 15 cal/min sustainably for 90 minutes. That comes down to 1350 calories which is still short. Moderately trained individuals are closer to 10 cal/min and begginers somewhere between 5-10 cal/min.

With that said, I'm not trying to be a prick about it. It's just very common among untrained people and people trying to lose weight to massively overestimate their calorie consumption during training. In the long run if you're serious about losing fat, it's better if you can estimate the impact of training on calorie consumption more realistically.

Yeah, after about three hours of running, 16 miles, I burned about 2300 calories.

I usually weigh just in at 200 lbs.

Unless you are maintaining a very fast pace indeed its very unlikely. You'd be just above the 200 pounds referenced here and as you can see, you're still unlikely to hit 1,500 calories. Not unless you're hitting 8 minute miles rates for 90 minutes. And that's pretty unlikely. I don't think calorie counters are worth a damn, except to compare two sessions on the same machine. The counter might be able to tell you that one workout was more intense than another, but the count itself ain't going to be accurate.

website i just checked said someone running 8mph at my weight burns nearly 1300 calories in an hour. and i know loads of people who could run 8 minute miles for 90 minutes. i used to run far better than that, not at that level now but not far away from it, i got 14.9 on my most recent bleep test. running 10kmh on a 5% incline is comparable. and the website i just checked on said cycling at the level i cycle on is around 900 calories per hour. i just don't know where you people are checking figures. you quoted 292 calories for cycling for an hour that the website i checked said 592 for the same level for someone 20lb lighter than me.

right, i have just spoke to a friend who is a PTI in the marines, working at 200 up to 300 watts on the bike and cross trainer i am easily burning more than 15 calories a minute at my weight. at my levels and weight on the treadmill i am burning more than far more than 1000 calories an hour. he says that the reason some of you cannot comprehend those numbers is that 'you' can't work at those levels. get on a excercise bike at the gym and try and turn at 300 watts, if you can, see how many calories you are burning per minute.

Yeah, after about three hours of running, 16 miles, I burned about 2300 calories.

I usually weigh just in at 200 lbs.

i run at a quicker pace than 5.33 miles per hour, and i weigh slightly more. you do 766 calories an hour x 1.5 = 1150 calories in 1.5 hours. so can you see how someone weighing more and working harder can do 1500 calories in 1.5 hours?

Archived