The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

kcf

Sanderson has flat out said that plans to include gay characters in his books. Peterbound, get over your hatred for Sanderson. Calling him a "mother fucker" is taking it way too far.

There's a funny story about sanderson aka, motherfucker, that when he included a slightly purple word in one of his works he had his ass chewed by one of the members of his ward. How the fuck do you think a guy that mentions that is going to allow an openly gay man/woman into one of his works?

If by 'gay' you mean one of the main characters bf's acting in a way a person from provo/salt lake city, utah thinks a gay man/woman should act (not gonna spell that one out for you, but they would more than likely play up all the negative stereotypes) then sure.. he might have one, but never come out and say they are fucking the same sex.

You won't see the topic covered maturely, rather, it would be handled poorly. We are talking about a man that won't curse in his books, and avoids any type of sex, do you really think he's going to tackle some guy on guy action, or even romance?

As to his beliefs. Ya, they bother me. Their actions do as well. Belonging to a faith, that for the majority of it's existence has practiced sanctioned racism, and honestly believes that one day they will be a god. Ya, that shit kind of freaks me out.

No one cares what they believe.

What they care about is them, say, dumping millions and millions into efforts to oppress gays in California.

So I guess they do care what they believe, in that what they believe causes them to try to fuck over other people.

You're talking about the church. There's nothing to suggest that every member of the church agrees with this.

You're talking about the church. There's nothing to suggest that every member of the church agrees with this.

You obviously don't know much about the mormon faith. They don't like dissent in their ranks. Hell, they still activity and aggressively excommunicate people.

You obviously don't know much about the mormon faith. They don't like dissent in their ranks. Hell, they still activity and aggressively excommunicate people.

I have a Mormon friend who now lives in Utah who supports gay marriage, drinks alcohol, and has premarital sex. He's not very active in the church but I don't believe he's been excommunicated.

Yes, it's the Mormon Church. Hence why those "young liberal americans" you complained about it have disdain for Mormonism.

I'm not sure what's hard to get here.

From a students essay;

"In the middle of the eighteenth century all the morons moved to Utah."

Honest typo or Freudian slip?

Funny either way.

Yes, it's the Mormon Church. Hence why those "young liberal americans" you complained about it have disdain for Mormonism.

I'm not sure what's hard to get here.

People will attack a person's character based on the church he is a member of. It implies that all members are the same and is really a discriminatory way to look at it. Many "young liberal Americans" are all about being "open minded" and "accepting" yet they will automatically look down on Christians.

Anyway, I'm done. I don't know why I still come to this board.

Did a little researching into Sanderson's views on this issue (meaning I just googled...), and found an essay on his blog where he makes his position clear.

I have changed my stance on gay marriage somewhat. After a great deal of soul searching, thought, and discussion, I now believe that the best way to approach this is to push for ALL state unions to be civil unions. I believe we should establish what the state grants a union—whether it be straight or gay—and apply those rights universally to all.

Marriage, I believe, should become an entirely religious term. Marriages should be performed by churches. In short, I believe that we should "Render unto Caesar that which is Ceasar's, and Render unto God that which is God's."

This would mean a great overhaul of civil code, but I find it the only solution my conscience will allow me to advocate. I cannot be deaf to the pleas of gay couples who want important things, such as hospital visitation rights, shared insurance, and custody rights.

http://brandonsander...s-Homosexuality

For a member of the LDS I guess that position is pretty reasonable.

Regarding his including gay characters in his works, he has confirmed via twitter that he has already included some. Here are the tweets:

@BrandonSandrson Having listened to the last Writing Excuses podcast, I have to ask: how likely are we to see a gay character in your work?

Brandon's Replies - @feelieking I've already written some, but I haven't made a big deal of it. Alloy of Law has a lesbian woman, for example.

@feelieking There's a gay man in Bridge Four, too. He hasn't had a big role yet. Drehy.

http://brandonsander...ets-January-3-6

Gavilar and Sadeas are not main characters (though Sadeas is one of the main antagonists so far), but they are more important than a member of Bridge 4. Whether he would make such important characters gay is debatable, but I definitely see some textual evidence that they are. Sorry for the long post.

Brandon's Replies - @feelieking I've already written some, but I haven't made a big deal of it. Alloy of Law has a lesbian woman, for example.

If that's the character I'm thinking of that's a bit of a fudge. He might intend her to be a lesbian but it's in no way clear from the text.

People will attack a person's character based on the church he is a member of. It implies that all members are the same and is really a discriminatory way to look at it. Many "young liberal Americans" are all about being "open minded" and "accepting" yet they will automatically look down on Christians.

Anyway, I'm done. I don't know why I still come to this board.

I'm pretty sure only peterbound is saying Sanderson is a terrible person because he's a Mormon.

The rest of us just seem to agree Mormonism is a shitty religion.

Why are we wasting all this hate effort on Sanderson when Card and Meyers are around.

Well, this is Sanderson's thread, not Card or Meyers.

But I'd rather bash or praise his books since I know little of the man himself except through them.

I'm pretty sure only peterbound is saying Sanderson is a terrible person because he's a Mormon.

The rest of us just seem to agree Mormonism is a shitty religion.

Ya, i'm saying both.

I'm actually willing to listen to reason when it comes to sanderson. If he's changing his ways.. great. I just don't see it as a likelihood. I hope he does though.

If I remember correctly, its fade-to-black, but it's 100% evident whats going on, no ambiguity.

And no, it wasn't premarital, but that makes little difference, expecially in context.

Archived