September 2010 reads

palin99999

Finished "The Shadow Of The Wind" after having returned the book to amazon two times (the pages were -starting from 141- mixed up in an unreadable sequence; so the read took a couple of weeks (more pauses due to shipping and returning than real reading): I am embarassed for publishers all over the world that something like that can actually happen - is there no longer a kind of quality control established?

As for the book itself: do not miss out on this one. While it may not qualify as 'fantasy' in the sense that MattD establishes in that other thread; this story is amazing! The reasons being:

• you get a strictly one-sequence story-line that has (from time to time) a dreamlike quality about it - as if the main protagonist does not (cannot) put up with what is happening to him.
  • the progress of the plot is so very well told, in a quiet and unruffled, undisturbed way - every sentence a step in a life, a discovery - alltogether make the rather adventurous life of a book-seller-to-be.
  • the characters are very well developed: from Daniel, being thrown through usual and unusual experiences whilst growing up in his special environment; Fermin, the once-government and now refugee-adventurer always on his side - and his ever so homely father, a resting point in his life, unrealised.
  • and oh! the prose is so very well set, so calm, so thought through - it's really balm on an Erikson-or-Bakker-shaken soul.

I have now read books devoid of any 'real-established-magic-systems' for a long time and I must say: if I had to chose - I'll take a Carlos Ruiz Zafon or a K. J. Parker over a Brandon Sanderson any time.

That being said, I am still waiting for the Fencer-trilogy to be delivered.

I'm still reading Arabs: A History by Eugene Rogan. I just finished Chapter 9: The Palestine Disaster and Its Consequences. I'm planning to read a few more books about Islam/Judaism/The Middle East. Next up is Ambivalence : crossing the Israel/Palestine divide (http://www.amazon.com/Ambivalence-Crossing-Israel-Palestine-Divide/dp/067006677X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283987521&sr=1-1) then Memories of Muhammad: Why the Prophet Matters by Omid Safi (http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Muhammad-Why-Prophet-Matters/dp/0061231347). I'm open to suggestions after that.

I finished Path of Blood by Diana Pharaoh Francis. Although the author had good ideas, I found the series overall to be boring. The first book was the best, the other 2 I would've skipped.

I need something different, so Laurence Bergreen's Over the Edge of the World is up next. It is about Magellan's circumnavigation of the world. I love this kind of stuff and looking forward to reading this.

I just finished The Judging Eye. I loved it.

I like the way Bakker's writing style is headed - I thought TJE was more...accessible, maybe?...than the PON series. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Right now I'm reading Dresden Files: Small Favor. As always, I'm enjoying Harry's adventures!

I have lots in the To Read Pile, too. Thanks, Board! Your recs are usually spot on, and I thank you for helping me broaden my reading horizons!

:grouphug:

Finished "The Shadow Of The Wind" after having returned the book to amazon two times (the pages were -starting from 141- mixed up in an unreadable sequence; so the read took a couple of weeks (more pauses due to shipping and returning than real reading): I am embarassed for publishers all over the world that something like that can actually happen - is there no longer a kind of quality control established?

As for the book itself: do not miss out on this one. While it may not qualify as 'fantasy' in the sense that MattD establishes in that other thread; this story is amazing! The reasons being:

• you get a strictly one-sequence story-line that has (from time to time) a dreamlike quality about it - as if the main protagonist does not (cannot) put up with what is happening to him.
  • the progress of the plot is so very well told, in a quiet and unruffled, undisturbed way - every sentence a step in a life, a discovery - alltogether make the rather adventurous life of a book-seller-to-be.
  • the characters are very well developed: from Daniel, being thrown through usual and unusual experiences whilst growing up in his special environment; Fermin, the once-government and now refugee-adventurer always on his side - and his ever so homely father, a resting point in his life, unrealised.
  • and oh! the prose is so very well set, so calm, so thought through - it's really balm on an Erikson-or-Bakker-shaken soul.

I have now read books devoid of any 'real-established-magic-systems' for a long time and I must say: if I had to chose - I'll take a Carlos Ruiz Zafon or a K. J. Parker over a Brandon Sanderson any time.

That being said, I am still waiting for the Fencer-trilogy to be delivered.

This was a terrible book, i could barely get into it. As soon as the young boy, he was like what, 12, at the beginning? When he started talking about some girl like he was an adult, something about feeling her skin or some such, i called it a day. My biggest pet peeve in any book is putting the thoughts of kids beyond the thoughts of kids.

I'm still reading Arabs: A History by Eugene Rogan. I just finished Chapter 9: The Palestine Disaster and Its Consequences. I'm planning to read a few more books about Islam/Judaism/The Middle East. Next up is Ambivalence : crossing the Israel/Palestine divide (http://www.amazon.com/Ambivalence-Crossing-Israel-Palestine-Divide/dp/067006677X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283987521&sr=1-1) then Memories of Muhammad: Why the Prophet Matters by Omid Safi (http://www.amazon.com/Memories-Muhammad-Why-Prophet-Matters/dp/0061231347). I'm open to suggestions after that.

I'm really into Reza Aslan's No God But God - he has an interesting take on the history and future of Islam. Karen Armstrong has some good stuff here: I'd skip her bio of Muhammed and read the Aslan instead, but her History of God and Battle for God are well worth it, especially for history from the last few hundred years.

Mernissi's The Veil and the Male Elite is the prototype of Islamic feminist exegesis, if you're interested in that.

I just finished The Judging Eye. I loved it.

I like the way Bakker's writing style is headed - I thought TJE was more...accessible, maybe?...than the PON series. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Right now I'm reading Dresden Files: Small Favor. As always, I'm enjoying Harry's adventures!

I have lots in the To Read Pile, too. Thanks, Board! Your recs are usually spot on, and I thank you for helping me broaden my reading horizons!

:grouphug:

I wish you didn't say that. I was going to stop after PoN. I think it's good, but not enough to keep going. I find it quite intelligently written with some fantastic ideas, but a little dry. Reads like a history book. I might just wait until he's done with the 2nd series.

This was a terrible book, i could barely get into it. As soon as the young boy, he was like what, 12, at the beginning? When he started talking about some girl like he was an adult, something about feeling her skin or some such, i called it a day. My biggest pet peeve in any book is putting the thoughts of kids beyond the thoughts of kids.

That's too bad. This is my favorite book.

Because no kid ever gets a crush on an adult? Happens all the time. That was the point--Daniel getting this crush on Clara, and then being so upset when he finds her with the piano teacher because it feels like a betrayal. But we, as the readers, know that Daniel was being a silly kid.

Because no kid ever gets a crush on an adult? Happens all the time. That was the point--Daniel getting this crush on Clara, and then being so upset when he finds her with the piano teacher because it feels like a betrayal. But we, as the readers, know that Daniel was being a silly kid.

Not that he had a crush on her, that's not a big deal, but rather it was the way he internalized that crush. His thought patterns on the subject were unbelievable.

To be honest, as soon as i read that part it reminded me instantly of Dan Brown at the beginning of Angels and Demons, when some scientists say to the female lead two things: "Disproved any of Einsteins theories yet?" and "Your dad must be real proud of you." Fucking horrible, clunky exposition, trying to tell us with a hammer that she is both smart and loved by her father. That was only 2 pages in and i've never touched Brown again.

I'm not sure why i equated the two at the time, they are different circumstances, but unbelievable dialogue and thoughts, like both of those, are my bane. Whatever merit this book might have was blown out the window by a 12 year old kid thinking about a girl like he was a 28 year old man.

Just started Down and Dirty Pictures by Peter Biskind. It's a history of Miramax,Sundance Film Festival and the rise of Indie movies in the 90's. So far just as engrossing as his previous book, Easy Riders and Raging Bulls.

Also KJ Parker's Pattern. Book two of the Scavenger Trilogy. So far this series is more enjoyable than any of her other works. Engrossing and mysterious with the trademark dry wit present.

I just purchased A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani, but havent read it yet. I'll probably update in the next week or so whether it is worth recommending. For what its worth, this book seems to deal with post-Islam Arab history like most other books (except No God but God, I am reliably informed). Most reviews also mention it deals with social history for the most part and ignores personages (Saladin etc.)

Not that he had a crush on her, that's not a big deal, but rather it was the way he internalized that crush. His thought patterns on the subject were unbelievable.

To be honest, as soon as i read that part it reminded me instantly of Dan Brown at the beginning of Angels and Demons, when some scientists say to the female lead two things: "Disproved any of Einsteins theories yet?" and "Your dad must be real proud of you." Fucking horrible, clunky exposition, trying to tell us with a hammer that she is both smart and loved by her father. That was only 2 pages in and i've never touched Brown again.

I'm not sure why i equated the two at the time, they are different circumstances, but unbelievable dialogue and thoughts, like both of those, are my bane. Whatever merit this book might have was blown out the window by a 12 year old kid thinking about a girl like he was a 28 year old man.

Fair enough, if that didn't work for you. I guess I just didn't feel like it was such an out of place thought. I think a lot of people are fascinated by skin, especially girl's skin which tends to be well-cared for. It might be uncommon to describe it as a 12 year old's fantasy, but it worked for me.

Also, I read the book in Spanish, and while I am fluent, it does make it a lot harder to pick up nuances when not reading in your native language, so something like that might not have been so glaring to me.

I'm really into Reza Aslan's No God But God - he has an interesting take on the history and future of Islam. Karen Armstrong has some good stuff here: I'd skip her bio of Muhammed and read the Aslan instead, but her History of God and Battle for God are well worth it, especially for history from the last few hundred years.

Mernissi's The Veil and the Male Elite is the prototype of Islamic feminist exegesis, if you're interested in that.

I just ordered Azlan's No God But God and Armstrong's Battle for God from the library. I checked out Armstrong's History God. I'm an atheist but I'm endlessy fascinated by religions, it's strange.

No shit, he loved her. Part of the problem I had with that relationship was how it concluded. Brilliant story-telling, of course, but the man she winds up irritated me and how it developed to such a level out of the blue.

Anyway, today's a new day. I'm reading some Gene Wolfe.

I just ordered Azlan's No God But God and Armstrong's Battle for God from the library. I checked out Armstrong's History God. I'm an atheist but I'm endlessy fascinated by religions, it's strange.

I should warn you that the Aslan is perhaps more suited towards a Muslim, or at least a theist. He's not an atheist and it shows.

Earlier today I finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which I thought was very good. A lot of people have already mentioned the magic, world-building, etc so I won't comment on that. I also enjoyed how Sanderson focused a bit more on the characters than his last few books. I'll admit the book was just a little long, but on the whole I barely noticed it. I'd strongly recommend this book. The Stormlight Archive series is off to great start.

Next up will be Century of the Soldier by Paul Kearney. I'm looking forward to reading the expanded sections of the end of this series.

Archived