September 2010 reads

palin99999

I am reading "Kafka on the shore" by Murakami.

But it is at my girlfriends place at the moment, so I think I might take a second crack at the Warrior prophet tonight. I breezed through The darkness that comes before. I really loved the philosophy and the character of Kelhuss, but I have a different time getting into the second book.

I wanted to read Savages with the bookclub, but I will have to look into how to get a hold of it in Denmark. Will have to order from amazon I guess.

Just started "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. I'm also working through a collection of short stories by Anton Chekhov and a collection by John Cheever. Heard he was one of the major influences of Mad Men and I've always thought "The Swimmer" is one of the greatest short stories ever. I plan to start "Matterhorn" soon.

Just finished the entire Harry Potter series. It bugged my that everyone I talked to had read them so I decided to read it myself even though I'm 23. I would say that it really is a great young adult series. Each book raises the stakes. Good ending. Reading this series made me realize how depressing and violent most of the fantasy I read is.

Now onto Hawkwood and the Kings.

Long-time lurker, first post :wideeyed:

Welcome! :cheers:

August was the busiest month I've ever had, reading wise (seventeen books, several of which were quite large), so I doubt September will be quite as epic. Still looking forward to a good month, though, hoping to get to:

Brandon Sanderson - Way of Kings (about a fifth through after starting last night; I think that Sanderson's skills with prose and characterization have, for the most part, improved immeasurably with this one.)

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called (as part of my attempt to read more UF)

Neil Gaiman - Stardust

Susanna Clarke - Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell

Brian Evenson - Last Days

Peter F. Hamilton - Judas Unchained

Mark Charan Newton - Nights of Villjamur

at the very least.

Alas, many a textbook. I'm an English major, so I just spent ~$300 on textbooks. Stupid ripoff bookstore...(didn't have money to buy them online before the new/current semester started.) That said, I need some new leisure reading. I had a list of to read or reread, but I figure the recommendation thread would be a good place to find intriguing stuff I've never even heard of before :D

Still reading a lot of older fiction titles taken from the old Ballantine Adult Fantasy list, the Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks, and the Gollancz SF Masterworks series for reviews both on my blog and on the SFF Masterworks blog. Here are the books I'm currently reading from those lists:

Fletcher Pratt, The Blue Star

James Branch Cabell, The Silver Stallion (both on the Ballantine list)

Olaf Stapledon, Star Maker

Walter Tevis, Mockingbird (SF Masterworks)

Michael Moorcock, Gloriana (Fantasy Masterworks)

In addition, I'll soon be writing a review of Karen Lord's recent debut novel, Redemption in Indigo, which might be my favorite 2010 debut so far. Masterful retelling of a Sengalese fable. Her writing is pitch-perfect here and the story is perfect for those who want an absorbing read for a lazy weekend afternoon (it's only 188 pages).

Finished and reviewed The Red Tree - Caitlín R. Kiernan

Quite awesome even if I'm struggling to find a proper interpretation. Though, after reading online a bunch of reviews and comments, it seems I was closer than I thought.

More people should read that book.

I've already begun The Darkness That Comes Before, while The Way of Kings arrives here.

I finished Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. It's the final book in The Hunger Games trilogy and it was quite good. It might have been great, but for some reason I was conscious of the author manipulating my emotions so that brought it down just a notch. That was just me though. I would definitely recommend the series.

Next up is the door-stopper, The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson.

Archived