The Thread for the NBA

add-on

Every year that goes by, I get more and more pissed that Tubby Smith held Rondo back from his true potential at UK. The guy is amazing at leading a team on the floor. 16 apg?!!? :stunned:

Ugh

This is something that disturbs me a lot; either KG is guilty of the accusation which is disgusting enough or Villaneuva is guilty of this kind of slander. I know and appreciate trash talking but if true this is fucking disgusting.

I would believe Villanueva. I don't care for KG and have always thought him to be a jerk. No surprise if this gets confirmed soon.

Every year that goes by, I get more and more pissed that Tubby Smith held Rondo back from his true potential at UK. The guy is amazing at leading a team on the floor. 16 apg?!!? :stunned:

He's slacking...only 15 assists, with 6 TO's tonight after 17/0 yesterday.

Ugh

This is something that disturbs me a lot; either KG is guilty of the accusation which is disgusting enough or Villaneuva is guilty of this kind of slander. I know and appreciate trash talking but if true this is fucking disgusting.

I would believe Villanueva. I don't care for KG and have always thought him to be a jerk. No surprise if this gets confirmed soon.

If it is true, my opinion of KG just took a big hit. Now on to something that is only semi NBA related; I am freaking addicted to NBA 2K11

Really guys? It's trash talk. It's what you say to make the other guy upset. It's intentionally offensive.

I don't understand.

Nah it is more than that. KG is a punk who only picks on people who won't/can't fight back. He's a classic bully. There is trash talk and there is the behavior that KG has exhibited all his career. This kind of behavior is not unusual from KG but you're quite wrong in thinking that what KG does on a regular basis is what anyone else in the league does.

I've got to say though, as far as trash talk goes, it doesn't seem that bad. I mean, "cancer patient" is not exactly a derogatory term, even if it is making a joke at the expense of Villanueva's hereditary condition. I know KG has done a lot of this stuff, but it seems like this is actually quite mild by what I've heard of his antics in the past. Just that the guy he went after is on Twitter enough to bring it to people's attention.

ST

Nah it is more than that. KG is a punk who only picks on people who won't/can't fight back. He's a classic bully. There is trash talk and there is the behavior that KG has exhibited all his career. This kind of behavior is not unusual from KG but you're quite wrong in thinking that what KG does on a regular basis is what anyone else in the league does.

I'm aware of his past antics. Everyone is. That's part of my confusion. We know how KG acts. Why the uproar at this latest incident? As Sir Thursday says, KG's insult seems a relatively tame one in its context.

Villanueva running straight to twitter just makes him look like a crybaby running to mommy. Hooray for the internet.

Unrelated:

Cleveland Responds

Ouchie.

I said originally that I think KG was a jerk before and this just confirmed my thinking of him. I'm not exactly knowledgeable of all the things he has said in his career, but calling someone a cancer patient seems tasteless as Slurk says. Unlike the other people, this didn't lower my thinking of KG. I already thought he had zero personal character.

I've got to say though, as far as trash talk goes, it doesn't seem that bad. I mean, "cancer patient" is not exactly a derogatory term, even if it is making a joke at the expense of Villanueva's hereditary condition. I know KG has done a lot of this stuff, but it seems like this is actually quite mild by what I've heard of his antics in the past. Just that the guy he went after is on Twitter enough to bring it to people's attention.

Respectfully I have to disagree with you and add-on. Trash talk is trash talk, but there is always limits.

Villanueva running straight to twitter just makes him look like a crybaby running to mommy. Hooray for the internet.

Bullshit. What else is he supposed to do? He can't fight him as he heavily implied with his tweet minutes before or he'll risk enormous sums of money. He's not a better player than KG so he can't show him up. So what is he supposed to do, just take it? Fuck that.

Respectfully I have to disagree with you and add-on. Trash talk is trash talk, but there is always limits.

Bullshit. What else is he supposed to do? He can't fight him as he heavily implied with his tweet minutes before or he'll risk enormous sums of money. He's not a better player than KG so he can't show him up. So what is he supposed to do, just take it? Fuck that.

He's supposed to do what every other athlete out there does - either use it to help you help your team beat his and show him up that way or ignore it. We got this talk back in high school going into big games; "use it or ignore it, there's no other option".

what else could he have done...gotten the PR guys to get them in contact, let KG know what he said was outside the lines. probably could have had someone get KG in the runway after the game so they had a moderated discussion to say "you went over the line"

Course, that's all predicated on KG having actually said it.

I said originally that I think KG was a jerk before and this just confirmed my thinking of him. I'm not exactly knowledgeable of all the things he has said in his career, but calling someone a cancer patient seems tasteless as Slurk says. Unlike the other people, this didn't lower my thinking of KG. I already thought he had zero personal character.

Yeah, I guess I'm just not sure why this would confirm your thinking of him. Of course telling someone they look like a cancer patient is tasteless. I feel like trash talk is tasteless by definition. Slurk said KG went over the limit with this remark and I'm assuming you agree, but I guess I don't really feel there have to be limits to what you say when you're talking trash. It's a situational thing. You say whatever you need to put the other guy off his game.

What about what KG (allegedly) said is over the limit?

Also, how do you guys feel about Gary Payton?

Anything but what he did. There's always the Terrence Williams option. Plus, I don't think it would impossible for CV to outplay KG in this one game and show him up that way. I don't think Villanueva thinks that's impossible either. He clearly thinks he can beat KG's ass, so he must believe he can outplay Garnett. What he did was childish as hell.

Big game for the Bulls tonight against the Nuggets. It would be nice to win this one and the next one against the Wizards. That way we'd at least be over .500 heading into the circus trip.

What about what KG (allegedly) said is over the limit?

You know, calling him a cancer patient. It's obvious that you don't consider it disrespectful to others who are actually afflicted with cancer. I do.

Also, how do you guys feel about Gary Payton?

I assume he was known for making cancer related jabs at people on the court? Otherwise it's irrelevant.

What he did was childish as hell.

Honestly explain why what Villaneuva did was 'childish as hell'. He didn't start a fight, he didn't rat him out to an authority. Instead he took on a bully in the court of public opinion, what you think it was childish because KG had to resort to a statement that very obviously came from his handlers so he could try and get out from it?

EDIT: I'm curious why you don't see Villaneuva's tweets as just more trash talk.

You know, calling him a cancer patient. It's obvious that you don't consider it disrespectful to others who are actually afflicted with cancer. I do.

You're right, I don't. Because of the context. Garnett made the comment only to upset Villanueva and throw him off his game. He wasn't bashing cancer patients or trying to be insensitive to their struggles. He said it to one man. The only reason real cancer patients even know about the comment (and can be offended by it) is because Villanueva's bitchass posted it on the internet. Things not meant for public consumption are said all the time on the court/field/diamond/whatever. That's where they stay.

Honestly explain why what Villaneuva did was 'childish as hell'. He didn't start a fight, he didn't rat him out to an authority. Instead he took on a bully in the court of public opinion, what you think it was childish because KG had to resort to a statement that very obviously came from his handlers so he could try and get out from it?

EDIT: I'm curious why you don't see Villaneuva's tweets as just more trash talk.

Ugh. Took on a bully in the court of public opinion? The fuck? A basketball game isn't played in the court of public opinion. It's played on the basketball court. The comment was made on that court to gain an advantage. If Charlie was really pissed, he should've responded there. There's no room for anything else.

Villanueva's tweets aren't just more trash talk because they weren't made to Garnett. It sounds terribly cliche, but CV didn't say it to his face. Negated.

It's the exact same thing as when people take fights with SO's or friends and start posting about them on Facebook. I'm not grown enough to handle this situation with the other concerned party, so I'll share with a bunch of other people who are already favorably disposed towards me. Childish, sir.

ETA: Bulls win.

@ AutumnEvenings

Im sure you're pretty content with your Jazz now are you? Milsap finally gets to shine.

About 8 games in and the Heat still dont have an identity.

Read Rosen sucking up to nash again and dissing Amare. When does he realize that Nash inflated Amare's stats but that Amare inflated Nash stats too? Without a brilliant finisher like Amare nash stats are down all over the board. He is a brilliant point guard who, with his passing, gives his teammates easy buckets but he doesnt make them better defenders. Oh wait, only the ones who need to cover for him because he's a great liability at that end.

Some interesting starts to the season out West, don't you think?

New Orleans 7 - 0, Golden State Warriors 6 - 2.

yes and no. no has had strong starts before and is a 50 win ball club. the warriors are a volume shooting team. if the opponent hasnt got his game form yet you can easily lose. check back around januari when most teams are on top of their games. if gs still has a .6 record im very surprised.

Exa, yes, I'm thrilled with our recent victories. :) Millsap always had it in him--I'd really hoped he would make the 2nd string All-Stars on '08-'09--but his game against Miami was insane. He's a tough guy, just doesn't stop. But he's not a jerk either (not quite sure why he got that T against Orlando last night?) so he's fun to root for. I'm really digging the combo of him and Jefferson (if you only saw the Miami game, you didn't quite see how they can work together). Of course I'm hoping Memo will recover, but I wouldn't be overly surprised to either see him come off the bench or see him start with very limited minutes too.

And Fes is coming into his own (and still giving hilarious interviews--after the Miami game, everyone was talking about Millsap, and he was being interviewed and was asked, "So, what about Millsap's career night?" and he replied, "Kyrylo Fesenko, career night!" or something. :lol: )

BUT, as much as I love my Jazz and they're keeping my on the edge of my seat, we have to learn to play a full game, not just a second half. We've had 3 amazing comebacks in a row, but...coming back against the Clippers in double OT? Then OT again on the road? Then coming back again on the road the very next night? It's too exhausting, just play like you know how to play in the first place! I'm really hoping we don't crash for the end of this road trip.

Archived