Artisans: Simon Brindle on Armor

Westeros

Oh, I’ve been waiting for this one. Simon Brindle, the supervisor of the costume armor department, speaks in some detail about the costume armor for HBO’s Game of Thrones. I had the pleasure of meeting Simon when I visited the Paint Hall facilities, and had a chance to discuss some of the sources and inspirations for the various suits of armor. There’s some truly amazing work being turned out from his shop!

The Artisans: Simon Brindle

Visit the Site!

He's actually glimpsed at Robert's right hand side at the tourney in the "Inside of Game of Thrones" video.

Absolutely love some of the details in this. I've wondered if they actually got around to using the crested helmet for the Lannister guard armor -- I suppose the great big crest is to mark out the head of the guard, or at least an officer.

Lancel has been written out of the show, I'm afraid. Apparently he wouldn't FLD on command, and so the director screamed at him until he fled the set. He's been replaced by one of the producers nephews, who will play a new character: Hansel. In order to distinguish the characters, Hansel is going to be very morose, and will only reluctantly be ordered by Cersei into her bed. I believe the story in the show is now going to be that Robert fell on Lancel after being gored by the boar, then he held Lancel up as a shield to ward off the boar's dying throws.

Jaime's armor is gilded, I've been told. I'm not sure if this means all the Kingsguard have gilded armor, or if his in particular has it and it's just something that we haven't really been able to notice because we haven't really seen Jaime in fully-lit armor standing next to another Kingsguard.

But Jaime's particular suit of gilded armor, no, that wasn't made.

Lancel has been written out of the show, I'm afraid. Apparently he wouldn't FLD on command, and so the director screamed at him until he fled the set. He's been replaced by one of the producers nephews, who will play a new character: Hansel. In order to distinguish the characters, Hansel is going to be very morose, and will only reluctantly be ordered by Cersei into her bed. I believe the story in the show is now going to be that Robert fell on Lancel after being gored by the boar, then he held Lancel up as a shield to ward off the boar's dying throws.

I do not understand English very well, but I notice you're being sarcastic and you're laughing at me.

I do not believe in anything you said.

Julandro, I decided to do some more digging, since you are so skeptical and require corroboration. My sources have me provided with exciting news: apparently the actor playing Lancel in fact begged the producers to not kill off his character in the way I wrote about above, and the producers were moved by his pleas and decided to do some rewrites: Hansel now dies with Robert on the hunt, and Lancel survives to see season 2. However, the character of Lancel had to be punished for the actor's offenses, and they also just couldn't rely on the actor to perform certain scenes, so Lancel will now be chemically castrated with a new poison, the Tears of Tryst, which Grand Maester Pycelle has placed into jellies for Lancel's repast. So, while we'll all get to enjoy Lancel's presence in the show for some time, I don't think we'll be seeing any intimate scenes between him and Cersei, I'm sorry to say.

Enough off-topic stuff, please. Keep it to the matter at hand. And really, it's just not that funny.

lol it never was!

On topic, I love love love Finn Jones as Loras. When I first saw his casting picture, I was like "meh", but then I saw some clips of him in action and I was completely sold. The few seconds in this video affirmed my feelings. His armor is gorgeous, and I *think* I might have seen some gold bracers on Jaime, but I will need to get a closer look - it could have just been bronze. I also liked that we got a closer look at Barristan. These little videos are great and only serve to whet my appetite for April. I love almost everything they've shown us.

I'll be interested to see what they do with Renly's armor for next season, if we get to see it.

Archived