Favorite Beer

Guest Raidne

Min,

Dark Star Summer Meltdown is nice when and if you can find it (May to August only!), but their Hophead is a good year-round classic. Obviously no-one outside Sussex will have heard of these, but as beer-snobbery this side of the pond is mostly restricted to old guys with beards listening to Herbie Flowers, I think I can get away with this without sounding like too much of a douchebag.

I relish my douchiness when it comes to beer snobbery. I'd love to spend a summer walking Great Britain and trying the local brews at pubs around the Island.

Guest Raids

Is there anything douchier than a beer snob?

Oh yes. Acoustic guitar douche and poetry-reading douche may adopt beer snobbery as an alternative outlet of douchification, but it is their essential douchitude that puts the "douche" in douchey beer snob, not the love for beer (which is likely faked) or even, necessarily, the snobbery, as one can certainly aspire to douchehood without picking up the finer points of snobbery, and vice versa, although the latter is less commonly seen.

To wit, Kellhus is not a beer snob. Q.E.D.

Just thought of another one. Labatt Blue. Its very much a "working man's beer", not fancy at all, but I love it. I got hooked on it when I was in college in Buffalo were it was sold at domestic prices even though its Canadian; and I can't seem to find it anywhere down here in DC. Makes me very sad, that.

I can get behind that. I know it's Canadian, but if there are three beers on tap at your average Michigan bar, one of them is Labatt. And it's sold at the domestic prices there also. But these days, Amstel Light has filled the spot that Labatt's used to hold, i.e. the beer I drink when I need a break from the considerable ABV of my favorite Belgian brews.

FTR, I also love Pacifico.

I'd have to go with Belgian beers over German, but I love a good pilsner. I can just tell that I don't appreciate these Dunkels and Oktoberfests and all that as much as some of you do.

Dark Star Summer Meltdown is nice when and if you can find it (May to August only!), but their Hophead is a good year-round classic. Obviously no-one outside Sussex will have heard of these, but as beer-snobbery this side of the pond is mostly restricted to old guys with beards listening to Herbie Flowers, I think I can get away with this without sounding like too much of a douchebag.

I can't remember which Dark Star beers I've had, but we got to try a couple here about a year ago at a local cask ale festival. Good stuff!

Also, appreciating and enjoying a good beer, whether it's of the local and limited or national and abundant variety, does not make you a beer snob.

Currently my standby is Christian Moerlien Lager House, this is what is generally in my fridge on any given day. I like Christian Moerlien Over-The-Rhine for it's heavy malt flavor, it has it's own taste and I like that distinctiveness tho it's not for everyone.

I also brought back a 12 of Fat Tire from Chicago since I can't get it locally. I usually will do the same with Yuengling when I go east.

I used to brew my own and was very much the beer snob for many years. Now I tend to just drink what I like and try something new when I can. I don't judge people by their beer choices anymore, mostly I just try to get them to try something more adventurous than Blue Moon.

Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

ETA: This definitely makes me a beer snob. I mean, ferchrisakes, the rant on the label begins:

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth..."

"You're not worthy."

I, too, am a huge Arrogant Bastard fan. Love Double Bastard and Lucky Bastard as well. (Both were recently on tap at a semi-local place recently.)

Also recently tried Victory Brewing Co.'s Yakima. Delicious. If you adore Arrogant Bastard you will love Yakima.

Dale's Pale Ale.

Really enjoyed Rogue's Yellow Snow last weekend.

For something lighter, I really liked Wittekerke - it tasted like honeysuckle nectar after having drunk several IPAs previously.

I wish Trinity Brew Co, would whip up a batch of Imperial Red again. So fucking tastey and I wouldn't recommend having more than 2 in one sitting or you may need someone to carry you out.

Mr. Zray's homebrews.

Anyone tried "Bells" various brews? I've never been disappointed by one of their products.

I've had several. The Oberon hefeweizen is very nice in the summer, and I've had a pale ale that was very nice (Two-Hearted Ale?). A little pricey though!

My staples are usually Sweetwater 420 or Terrapin Rye. I don't know how widely available these beers are outside Georgia, but I love them. Very tasty.

"Does it cost at least $12.00 for a six pack?"

Stupid story is not valid in Norway. I bought a pack of cheap beer last week, that was about $15. You can find it cheaper, down to around $10, but at that point, it's no longer beer.

And it's one of my aspirations in life to be more beer conscious. I generally like most beer though, though slightly darker is what I usually prefer.

Right now I'd like an XX Bitter. Belgium beats Germany hands down for me, although I am partial to a nice pilsner now and then.

Any Aussies here? We have some very cool microbreweries downunder. Not sure how much gets exported though.

Big fan of BrewDog, probably my personal favourite brewery. I also really like Flying Dog's range of strong beers.

Guest Raids

Dale's Pale Ale.

I love Dale's. Love.

Anyone tried "Bells" various brews? I've never been disappointed by one of their products.

Grew up with these - they're in Kalamazoo. If you can find it, the Two-Hearted makes one of the finest cask-conditioned ales I've ever had. Way superior to the traditional Two-Hearted, although it's good also.

And fair warning to all: never even think about saying anything negative about Bell's Oberon in the presence of a Michigander. Mmmm...Oberon. Much like Pacifico puts me right back in Acapulco, Oberon puts me right back on the patio of the Peanut Barrel in August, people watching on Grand River. Good times.

I feel the way about Bells that others feel about New Belgium: Their quality control has gone downhill with their expansion and the beer just isn't the same as it used to be. Two Hearted is still good, but I actually poured an amber down the drain last time I was home. It was off in a way that made it taste like river water. Blech. (This is huge since Bells Amber is one of the two beers I served at my wedding!) My husband loves their HopSlam, but it crosses the line between interesting hops and too aggressive hops for me. Plus, it's like $16 a six pack!

They do, however, usually have the best cyser I've ever tasted on tap at the brewery. They've never bottled it and I dream about that stuff.

ETA: We're excited to start exploring Shorts, Jolly Pumpkin and some of the other northern Michigan brews when we move in two weeks. We know Right Brain fairly well, but had no idea just how many breweries are in that region now!

Chimay Premiere (Red Label). It's just amazing. The Blue and White are good, too, but nothing beats the Red (and it's their cheapest for some reason, too...which is to say about $12 a liter, usually).

I'm a big fan of Belgian and Belgian-style beers, in general. A really great brewer is Unibroue (pronounced uni-brew, not uni-brow), who are a Canadian brewer that does Belgian-style. Apparently their Brewmeister is the former Brewmeister from Chimay, so yeah, they know their shit! I have yet to try a Unibroue beer that I didn't like. "La Fin du Monde" is great. Tried the "Maudite" for the first time two weeks ago and it was grand! Any fan of Belgians, especially of Chimay, really should look into the Unibroue brands if they haven't already. You won't be disappointed.

The best thing about Belgians is that you can age them for up to 5 years. I have a few in my fridge aging, about two years into some of them. Gonna crack open the Chimay in there next to a new bottle and see what the differences is.

Lately the beer I've been drinking the most is Kozel, a Czech lager that comes in pale, medium and dark. Out of the three I like the dark the best. Whats even better is you can find it everywhere here and you can get a pint for about 30 crowns on tap which is about $1.50, can't beat that.

Archived