Father vows to kill son's murderer if released

Waldo Frey

Always interesting to see people who empathise more with the convicted murder than the person who merely threatens to murder.

A nice set of priorities there.

It's not about empathising with one or the other, it's accepting that death threads have no place in a civilized society. Two wrongs doesn't make it right.

Killing for revenge is no less sick than what the convicted murderer did.

Feeling the urge for revenge is one thing, acting it out is where I seet the limit.

Sariel,

Most of the answers in this thread are people expressing their dismay that this guy is getting out of prison only 28 years after killing and eating a child. I'm torn, I don't believe in vigilantism but thinking of my own children I can only imagine what the victim's father must be feeling. I cannot say, with certainty, I would not be driven to do the same thing he's threatened to do if one of my own children were killed. Is that brutal and savage, yes, but it's an honest answer expressing the depth of emotion the murder of your child in a would raise. All that said it doesn't make the murderer's murder right or just, simply makes that action more understandable than the original murder.

I do strongly disagree with those who call for "prison justice". Lock this guy up and never let him out but that doesn't mean he should be beaten and raped while in the custody of the State.

Killing for revenge is no less sick than what the convicted murderer did.

If you can read the details of what this piece of excrement did and actually think the above........ well I can't even begin to approach that level of moral ambiguity.

If you think both crimes would be equally sick then words fail me. Truly disgusting.

Back that slur up.

Yeah I can't understand how someone could read a post that whinges on about what was done or might be done to the murderer with not a mention of what was done to the child and by extension, the child's father. Can't understand at all......

"Prison justice"? You mean the assaults and rapes and crimes perpetrated on inmates who are supposed to be wards of the state, not subjected to vigilante notions of revenge? Prison is NOT supposed to be torture; nor is it supposed to be a place that is a danger to those inside it.

The father is wrong and misguided. Vigilante crap has no place in a truly civil society. Hes expressing homicidal ideation and intent? Says he WILL kill this man? Well, HE should be evaluated in a psych hospital for his expressions that indicate he is a danger to society.

Very little rehab takes place in prison; prison is rather barbaric and savage in its treatment of inmates. I dont know what programs this inmate went through and what attempts at rehab took place.

And "civil committment" is a horrid concept; once the jail term is complete there is no reason to imprison the inmate. IF its believed the inmate is such a danger, the ORIGINAL sentence should have been longer. UNLESS the inmate says he WILL kill again, then he to, should be evaluated in a psych hospital for his homicidal beliefs.

Sariel,

Most of the answers in this thread are people expressing their dismay that this guy is getting out of prison only 28 years after killing and eating a child. I'm torn, I don't believe in vigilantism but thinking of my own children I can only imagine what the victim's father must be feeling. I cannot say, with certainty, I would not be driven to do the same thing he's threatened to do if one of my own children were killed. Is that brutal and savage, yes, but it's an honest answer expressing the depth of emotion the murder of your child in a would raise. All that said it doesn't make the murderer's murder right or just, simply makes that action more understandable than the original murder.

I do strongly disagree with those who call for "prison justice". Lock this guy up and never let him out but that doesn't mean he should be beaten and raped while in the custody of the State.

I cannot myself even begin to imagine what it would be like to lose a child in such a fashion. I'm not critizising the father's grief or hatred. Such feelings are more than understandable, though it is a little sad he has not been able to come to terms with things after so long.

What I do react to, is as you mentioned, all the cries for prison justice and vigilantism. It disgusts me that so many otherwise very intelligent people find such things not only acceptable but also apropriate.

Not to mention that this man was 16 and seemingly as crazy as one can be. I don't understand why he was not put in psychiatric care instead.

Yeah I can't understand how someone could read a post that whinges on about what was done or might be done to the murderer with not a mention of what was done to the child and by extension, the child's father. Can't understand at all......

If the thread was full of people defending what happened to the child, then maybe there'd be a need for a post like that to argue with them. But seriously, do you really expect everyone to have to go "yes, I strongly believe that the rape, murder and consumption of children is wrong!" in every post when discussing this topic?

For the record, I strongly believe that the rape, murder and consumption of children is wrong.

If the thread was full of people defending what happened to the child, then maybe there'd be a need for a post like that to argue with them. But seriously, do you really expect everyone to have to go "yes, I strongly believe that the rape, murder and consumption of children is wrong!" in every post when discussing this topic?

For the record, I strongly believe that the rape, murder and consumption of children is wrong.

People, and its more than one, are placing the possible crime of this father killing the murderer of his child on a level of moral equivalence to what this animal did.

I have no intention of apologizing for finding that level of moral equivalence absolutely disgusting.

I apply the law to humans only.

So you can just randomly withdraw people's membership card to the human race can you?

People, and its more than one, are placing the possible crime of this father killing the murderer of his child on a level of moral equivalence to what this animal did.

I have no intention of apologizing for finding that level of moral equivalence absolutely disgusting.

So far there is one post that indicates that a murder is a murder, whether it is made in revenge or otherwise. Which was also not the original objection most people hold, but it was your post saying:

Always interesting to see people who empathise more with the convicted murder than the person who merely threatens to murder.

A nice set of priorities there.

Which is a misreading of massive proportions.

I can't see anyone who can't understand the father's grief and hatred. I can certainly understand them. Killing a man won't bring his son back, however, plus if this man, the father, has any other family left, killing the original murderer will just mean he will end up in jail which in turn hurts his remaining family.

So you can just randomly withdraw people's membership card to the human race can you?

The fact that you consider the withdrawal random says rather a lot about how much importance you assign to the crime this individual was guilty of.

Seemingly its almost none.

I agree with you.

If it were me, I find it impossible to imagine I wouldn't kill the person responsible. That said, I don't think such an action should be allowed by society and would fully expect to bear responsibility for my actions in court.

I agree with you.

If it were me, I find it impossible to imagine I wouldn't kill the person responsible. That said, I don't think such an action should be allowed by society and would fully expect to bear responsibility for my actions in court.

My stance exactly.

The fact that you consider the withdrawal random says rather a lot about how much importance you assign to the crime this individual was guilty of.

Seemingly its almost none.

ORLY, and you know this how? It's "random" because it's totally subjective to what YOU consider important and has nothing to do with the law, society or what other people think. People behave like monsters sometimes, which we as a society have to deal with, whether you like it or not. I frankly can't fathom why you would expect people to not behave like monsters at times since history can provide enough of examples of this to convince even the most hardline tinfoil hat wearer that this is, in fact, the case.

I would also be thankful if you do not apply your totally unfounded opinions about my thought processes to me, since I consider it offensive and presumptuous. I can only echo Min: apparently we have to type in a caveat in every post or we're "apologists". Totally ridiculous.

So far there is one post that indicates that a murder is a murder, whether it is made in revenge or otherwise. Which was also not the original objection most people hold, but it was your post saying:

Both Repsa or whatever his name is and Iceman have both tried to claim that the two crimes would be equivalent.

ORLY, and you know this how? It's "random" because it's totally subjective to what YOU consider important and has nothing to do with the law, society or what other people think.

I would also be thankful if you do not apply your totally unfounded opinions about my thought processes to me, since I consider it offensive and presumptuous. I can only echo Min: apparently we have to type in a caveat in every post or we're "apologists". Totally ridiculous.

Someone certainly seems to protest to much. Lets hear it then. Lets hear exactly how random it is?

Random in that I consider child murdering cannibals to be less than human. That random? Exactly how random is that exactly?

I think someone needs to learn what random means.

Both Repsa or whatever his name is and Iceman have both tried to claim that the two crimes would be equivalent.

Repsa also thinks we should put pregnant women wanting an abortion in mental institutions. I would hardly call her opinions "mainstream".

Someone certainly seems to protest to much. Lets hear it then. Lets hear exactly how random it is?

Random in that I consider child murdering cannibals to be less than human. That random? Exactly how random is that exactly?

*sigh*

Yes it is "random" because it's subjective to what you want, not to any general rules of logic or what society wants etc. It's totally based on your, personal value system. So "random" to the world at large since it cannot be predicted by anyone else but you.

Call it "completely subjective" if that makes you a happier bunny.

As an aside, you cannot demote people from the human race, even if they are monsters. The human race contains monsters on the other hand. What about Pol Pot? Was he not human? Stalin? Hitler? All human, all monsters in their own way, but it's not up to you to demote them, I am afraid.

I think you forgot to sign of with a "good day to you, sir"

Archived