New Teaser & Featurette

Westeros

The new teaser was awesome and the Stark piece equally so.

Some comments and observations:

1) I paused when they show the Other again, and this time I noticed that his face is actually frozen COOOL!!!

2) Winterfell and King's Landing are awesome

3) Dany is hot

4) pause at 1:53 and see Summer jump on the catspaw that was trying to kill Bran

Some amazing new footage in both videos!

In the teaser, I think we saw a wight (along with the same glimpse of the White Walker), or at least a dead Wildling that would be a wight. King's Landing looks magnificent. The Red Keep truly towers over King's Landing and the sea. I wasn't too impressed with Varys' delivery of "the King's a fool" but he certainly looks the part. I originally wasn't how well Mark Addy could pull off Robert, but I have no worries anymore. Cersei seems perfectly evil, both in her speech to Joffrey and her "when you play the game of thrones.." quote.

While the teaser was nice, I thought the Stark featurette was amazing. I have been wanting for a very long time to get a better look at the characters, mainly the child characters and this definitely offered it. I've always like Robb a lot in the books, and I think Richard Madden is going to pull off that character perfectly. Just seeing him describe the Starks and Robb allowed me to connect with him already. I'm really looking forward to his scenes now. Sophie seems to have a great grasp on who Sansa is, and I've liked Maisie as Arya since I first saw her. We didn't see much of Bran, but I can't say I'm too worried, the same with Jon. The show definitely seems to be setting up the mystery of Jon's parentage with Ned telling him next time they see each other they'll talk.

Every trailer makes it harder and harder to bear the wait. I've already watched these videos 4 times each!

Dude, the dead wildling girl gave me some serious jibblies. (I have a dire psychological weakness to the undead, it is known, but oh man... jibblies.)

Guuhhh I just watched it again and paused it on her why do I do that to myself?

If that's the mouth of the Blackwater Rush, then King's Landing is backwards. Looking northeast from the south/southeast of the city across the Blackwater Rush, the bay should be to the city's right, not its left. Did they reverse the shot by mistake, somehow? Did they render it backwards? It doesn't make sense with the map, unless they've changed the map.

If that's the mouth of the Blackwater Rush, then King's Landing is backwards. Looking northeast from the south/southeast of the city across the Blackwater Rush, the bay should be to the city's right, not its left. Did they reverse the shot by mistake, somehow? Did they render it backwards? It doesn't make sense with the map, unless they've changed the map.

Given the illustration and compass rose from the map you provided of King's Landing, I think this image of the Red Keep is looking down from the Northwest to Southeast. If that is the case then the Bay would be on the left of the city, like it is in the image.

Given the illustration and compass rose from the map you provided of King's Landing, I think this image of the Red Keep is looking down from the Northwest to Southeast. If that is the case then the Bay would be on the left of the city, like it is in the image.

[Edit: I misread your post.]

No, If it's from Northwest to Southeast, then they'd be looking at the city from down the Blackwater Rush, but that's clearly Blackwater Bay the camera is hovering over.

It's a very easy fix, they just need to flip the rendered image. They could probably fix it in an hour, unless there are other rendered things and sets that it would screw up, somehow.

It matters because movement of the camera and bodies in time and space is what directing a coherent scene in a film is all about. If you have the geography right logically, you can make much better sense of a scene on screen. Directors often have models built of their sets so they can practice camera movements and such before they shoot a scene. There are tricks one can use to mess with this if you aren't showing people a big map at the beginning of every episode of the setting of the film or show, but if you show them this map every single show, then describe people sailing East to the Free Cities, but then show them sailing West on screen, because everything is backwards, you are going to sow confusion. Likewise, when you show the armies marching from The Reach which is clearly southwest on the map from King's Landing in season 2, but now they appear to be approaching from the northeast, you again are going to confuse people...if only subconsciously. But confusing them subconsciously can be very distracting - they may know something is off, or may just be confused, but not know why. Not good for a scene.

I hope think the picture is correct. If you look at the wall (yet it's a wall not a bridge) that 'starts' from the Red Keep and goes to the right, you may notice that the water ends and land begins (at least I see some yellow and green there). Also if you again look carefully, between those faraway hills and the city (just right of the Red Keep) you may see some blue. So I think they got it right, only that they extruded the Red Keep out into the water more than the canon map shows.

Anyway thanks for the pick, because I also got to see a glimpse of Baelor's Sept (large building to the right)

I'm fine with it if that water to the East in front of the city walls is just some inlet they invented, that doesn't matter at all and doesn't really change anything. But with docks and structures in front of those walls and such, I thought that could be Blackwater.

A reason why I think it might be a flipped image is that I think that dome near the Great Sept (if it's not a part of the Great Sept), might be the Dragonpit in the distance behind it. If the image is flipped, then it would be more or less in the right place - maybe a bit far west, but that doesn't matter. There's also a large hazy structure in the far distance between the Great Sept and the Red Keep that might be the broken roof of the Dragonpit, which would be in the exact right place based on the canon map.

Archived