[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

(Brienne probably cut all together if you ask me - I love the character, but her story doesn't contribute to the overall plot).

Disagree - she has a very strong contribution to Jaime's arc in Storm of Swords.

Pretty sure we'll see Brienne in S2 and any S3. You can argue about what will happen if we ever get to see aFfC on screen.

As Malt says, you can't do Jaime in aSoS without Brienne. And she also adds a little complexity to the Renly story. Given they aren't ignoring Renly/Loras either, I think there is little doubt we'll see her. :)

In an interview at Collider Mr. Martin says that the show's produce are killing off a character this season who doesn't die until the third or fourth book. I was surprised I haven't seen it anywhere else so here is the link.

http://collider.com/george-r-r-martin-interview-game-of-thrones/86337/

Looking at the show's cast it shouldn't be hard to make a possibility list.

Robb - Storm of Swords - Red Wedding. UNLIKELY - Red Wedding too big an event.

Joffrey - Storm of Swords - Poison. UNLIKELY - his death is too important an event.

The Hound - Storm of Swords - left to die in forest. LIKELY - his role on the show is smaller,

and could probably be worked around later on.

Lysa Arryn - Storm of Swords - Thrown off cliff by Littlefinger. LIKELY - As much as I think

Littlefinger throwing her to her death is important...she's a

small role on the show so who knows.

Gregor Clegane - Storm of Swords - Death from Martell Poison after duel. LIKELY - His role

is very small so far. It's very possible they'd kill him

and deal with that duel later on.

Maester Aemon - Feast For Crows - Caught chill on sea voyage. LIKELY - possibly the most

likely. He's a very old man and it's likely he won't make

it any further.

Jeor Mormont - Storm of Swords - Killed by his own men in a small mutiny. LIKELY - They

could definitely kill off Jeor or Aemon during a Wight

attack this first season.

Have I left anyone out? What does everyone else think? Right now my money is on The Hound, Gregor, Aemon or Jeor.

Yeah, I thought so too - considered too major a character to be a candidate. But I guess not! Or else 1) Thronecast is wrong [note that HBO's character guide doesn't actually say the character's dead, and in fact uses present tense for the description] or 2) there's a second 'unexpected death'!

ETA: I just used Twitter to ask @Thronecast where they got that info (i.e. was it direct from HBO). I hope they answer!

Actually here is a thought about that, it mentions Lord Hoster Tully died in a battle, Jaime and Lord Tywin lead armies into the Riverlands in the nextcouple of episodes, Jaime fights and crushes a Tully army in the books led by Edmure, but what if Lord Hoster leads it and dies in the defeat of his army. That seems to fit everything and as thats an off screen battle they don;t have to bother casting him and Edmure can be introducing as Lord in season 2.

Archived