[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

Haven't read the whole thread but I would guess Beric. He was shown in episode 6 being sent to bring Gregor to KL, so his storyline could be cut short.

But he technically dies in aGoT, so that isn't a real change. And he probably is too big a character.

I'm not sure how Balon's death would help things either. Throws Theon's whole storyline off. He should be gaining the throne in S2 then, not fighting in Winterfell.

My bet is on Rast being killed by the wights instead of Ser Jaremy Rykker or the guy guarding Jon. We haven't seen many guys of the nightwatch (being named) until now, so killing one who was named before, but isn't really needed anymore could serve the scene better, than killing someone unknown before. IIRC Rast has no further storyline apart from being killed by the wildlings, so he isn't needed anymore. Also his death as a single one provides more than him being one corpse of many in ASOS.

Beric Dondarrion is the safest one to kill off in this season. They can always revive him in season 3 if they decide to include Arya's time with the BWB. Otherwise, some trimming of Arya's chapters can be done.

Jeor Mormont might be another one, because it will remove the necessity of showing the events at Craster's Keep, or Craster entirely. The problem is it will also cut short the relationship that is developed with Jon, and later with Sam. Of course even with his death, the NW still needs to undergo the expedition beyond the Wall, right, RIGHT?

Hoster Tully's death in this season, which would probably be done off screen, will result in some of Catelyn's scenes being trimmed down in both season 2 and 3, but only a little.

Rast's death would have absolutely no effect on the story or its length, since between now and until his death in ASOS, he has no impact on the story.

Tywin - HELL NO!!! He might not be a POV character, but he is a major character, and he has way too much influence in both books 2 and 3.

Joffrey - same as Tywin; though I might not be pissed if Sansa does push him off the battlements like she almost did.

Lysa Arryn - her death in ASOS has too much to do with the relation between Littlefinger and Catelyn and Sansa; besides I think her time in season 1 is already done

Rickard Karstark's death could trim down some of Robb's story in ASOS, but not much; however, this is one, along with Beric that they could easily get away with

Gregor Clegane - yeah right! you need a poisoned spear to kill him, and I don't think the Red Viper will make an appearance in GOT

Sandor Clegane - I don't think he is dead, so skip this one

Balon Greyjoy's name has been mentioned in this season, but his death, again off screen, will result in a significant change in Theon's story in book 2, and also in the events in AFFC

Chett - not sure if he has even been cast for this season, but his death will change the events at the Fist a bit + it might allow to speed up Jeor's death too in the third season

Also, the Red Wedding cannot be removed. It would mean the end of HBO.

I don't know if anybody else has been mentioned, but my bet is on Beric Dondarrion.

Re: Beric dying--how exactly are they going to indicate to the audience that Beric is dead for good? Is someone just going to say, "Yep, he's definitely not going to get revived through the magic of a Red Priest, no sir!"

The fact that Beric dies this season is not a change. What would be a change is if they decide not to bring him back later. But we won't know that until next season, or until they tell us outright that they've decided not to bring him back. Nothing within the show itself will tell us if he's coming back, unless there's a way they could do it that I'm not thinking of.

The only options that make sense to me are: 1) Rast; 2) Hoster (though I don't see the point in killing him offscreen); and 3) Karstark.

Gregor Clegane doesn't get killed in ASoS, he gets seriously wounded but he's alive in AFfC, so it can't be him. I don't think it's going to be Jeor Mormont either, because they'd have to elect a new commander and it's too early for Jon to take his place. I surely hope it's not Tywin or Joffrey; it would ruin the story.

Re: Beric dying--how exactly are they going to indicate to the audience that Beric is dead for good? Is someone just going to say, "Yep, he's definitely not going to get revived through the magic of a Red Priest, no sir!"

Easy:

First show the moment of his death, by having Gregor impale him with a lance or a sword.

And then don't add all that rumor talk about Beric this and Beric that. This will significantly cut back on the BWB. But if by season 2 they change their minds, then they can start that, and then have him back in season 3.

Easy:

First show the moment of his death, by having Gregor impale him with a lance or a sword.

And then don't add all that rumor talk about Beric this and Beric that. This will significantly cut back on the BWB. But if by season 2 they change their minds, then they can start that, and then have him back in season 3.

Uhhh...how would the absence of rumors demonstrate that Beric is dead for good? How could he be definitively dead if they have the option to change their minds later about his death? That's paradoxical.

My point was that they're going to kill Beric anyway, the real question is if they're going to resurrect him later. So the question of whether or not he's definitively dead won't be answered until next season. The absence of rumors about him this season will not show that he's dead for good. So how could he be the "unexpected death"?

Beric Dondarrion is the safest one to kill off in this season. They can always revive him in season 3 if they decide to include Arya's time with the BWB. Otherwise, some trimming of Arya's chapters can be done.

I don't know if anybody else has been mentioned, but my bet is on Beric Dondarrion.

What's the point of killing Beric (for ever) in season 1? Do that and you might as well wipe out the entire BwB. If you're gonna have the BwB and have Arya meet them, then you need someone to be the leader of said group and as of now you only have one character who's been seen on screen as a member of the BwB (Thoros has been mentioned, but never seen). The only essential member of the BwB really is Thoros as he's needed for Cat. But having him do his thing on Cat out of the blue would not be very good TV IMO. So you kinda need the legend of the unkillable lord precede any viewership of it.

It's all well and good to think that the show may only get 2 seasons, but you can't mutilate aSoS storylines if there is any desire at all to go beyond 2 seasons.

Could the death have been Marillon? He appears to get hit by a rock in episode 5, and never shows up again. I know he doesn't die in Book 3, but I think George said in one interview that it was a character that died in either book 3 or book 4. I'd much rather have it be Marillon than Beric.

Could the death have been Marillon? He appears to get hit by a rock in episode 5, and never shows up again. I know he doesn't die in Book 3, but I think George said in one interview that it was a character that died in either book 3 or book 4. I'd much rather have it be Marillon than Beric.

I seem to recall reading on Winter-is-Coming that Bryan Cogman confirmed Marillion was still alive after the hill tribe attack. Don't have a link, though, so I might be misremembering.

Jeor can't be killed this season, it'd be ridiculous for the Night's Watch to go on their expedition without a leader.

Tywin can't die because...well, do I really have to explain that one?

My money's on Rast, he can take Jeremy Rykker's place as the one who gets killed by the wight. All the other characters mentioned are way too major.

I seem to recall reading on Winter-is-Coming that Bryan Cogman confirmed Marillion was still alive after the hill tribe attack. Don't have a link, though, so I might be misremembering.

It might be possible that GRRM assumed Marillion was dead after that scene, as most viewers probably did, and/or Cogman and the producers hadn't actually figured out if they were going to use him again in later seasons.

It might be possible that GRRM assumed Marillion was dead after that scene, as most viewers probably did, and/or Cogman and the producers hadn't actually figured out if they were going to use him again in later seasons.

IIRC, Martin reminded the producers that the character was supposed to die later, but they told him they were still going to kill him early. So I don't think there's a possibility of confusion of Martin's part (other than, of course, what book the character died in :)).

I don't think Beric even appears again this season. His role was a "featured extra", an actor speaking one line, and I think that was there just to set him up for his future reappearance. Too bad they never showed (just mentioned) Thoros of Myr though.

Simply put, showing a scene of Beric going against the Mountain and dying (which wasn't shown in the book) would be a waste of tv screentime.

Anyway I am pretty sure that the death is going to be Rast. What I find odd is that GRRM actually remembered Rast enough to point out the change in his role.

Hi, Long time lurker, first time poster.

I would put my money on Jeor Mormont. I could see them inserting Alliser Thorne as a temporary lord-commander and making it even harder on Jon.... even forcing him to commit the fairly unhonourable treachery he does to Mance and the Wildlings.

Jeor Mormont is too major a character for them to kill off so early. They would literally have to rewrite a whole chunk of the plot to compensate.

I'm going with one named brother of the NW (Rast, most likely) dying during the wight's attack. There's no point in killing a "new" character (Ser Jeremy Rykker). The TV NW are very different from the Book NW (Pyp has sort of taken Dareon's role )

Simply put, showing a scene of Beric going against the Mountain and dying (which wasn't shown in the book) would be a waste of tv screentime.

Really? As opposed to what? Littlefinger and his whores, out of character dialog between Robert and Cersei. Did I mention Ros?

Archived