[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

Unless it makes more sense because he's gone off to make The Hobbit and either New Line or HBO or Stevens himself can't afford to keep shipping him back and forth between New Zealand and Ireland (which we don't know for sure yet, but if that is a problem, they have a prospective solution).

Would they have known that when they were filming? And again, doesn't sound like a small enough character.

Oh god, I just had a thought: what if they decided to kill Shae and replace her with Ros? Please, someone tell me I'm being stupid.

You're being stupid. They wouldn't have bothered casting Shae in the first place if that was their plan. I mean, cut Blackfish for budget, but include Shae for two episode just to kill her and piss off fans?

Can the dead be a red herring or maybe they decided to cut the death cuz I can't think of who can die in the final episode

Yeah it's bugging me too. Unless someone unexpected is killed in the final episode, the only character I can think of who it must have been is Mago. But AFAIK it's not known which book he dies in, and GRRM said the third book, so......

You're being stupid. They wouldn't have bothered casting Shae in the first place if that was their plan. I mean, cut Blackfish for budget, but include Shae for two episode just to kill her and piss off fans?

I didn't say it was their plan all along. What I was thinking was that they decided to replace Shae with Ros only after they had already cast Shae. Sort of a "buyer's remorse" situation, where they ended up deciding they liked the actress who played Ros better than the one who played Shae, but couldn't put Ros in Shae's position because the actress paying Shae was already under contract. So they chose to kill Shae off as a solution, thus freeing them to move the actress they liked better into Shae's plotline.

But yes, I'm probably still being stupid. But honestly, with only one episode left, I'm having trouble figuring out who the unexpected death could be, and that's making me look for unlikely options.

maybe it's Yoren, maybe he gets her out of the city with Gendry but dies quickly??

Yoren dies in book 2.

Y'know I'm liking the Jaime's hand hypothesis. They can cut out the whole capture and release and return to rescue Brienne sequence of events in ASoS if, oh I dunno, Theon takes off Jaime's hand. There was no point in Jaime being taken by the Goat other than for him to lose the hand. Jaime would have remained unchanged through the whole journey from Riverrun to KL if he's kept his hand. It was the losing the hand which caused him to re-examine his whole life. Theon doing it is as effective as it being done by the Goat.

So clearly Mago was not a character who dies in AGOT, but he doesn't die in ASOS either since his name is not even mentioned. In AGOT Ser Jorah tells Dany that when the khalasar broke apart, Mago still went and raped the girl Dany originally saved, and that he was bloodrider to one of the new khals. Dany then swears she will make sure he and the others will suffer a horrible death etc. etc.

So is this the character? Did Martin make a mistake and instead of referring to somebody who dies in ASOS, he was actually thinking of... ADWD ;) ?

I haven't been following this thread closely enough, but is there some reason Hoster Tully has been set aside? He died in aSoS, and it makes sense he would die in episode 10 this season. Its been established in the show that he is ill, there is no way they keep the actor there for another season and a half on his death bed barely conscious. They can't just keep showing him laying there, but if they don't people will forget he exists by the time he finally dies.

Catelyn is supposed to arrive at Riverrun this episode if things follow the book. She arrives, they have a chat, he dies. Done.

I haven't been following this thread closely enough, but is there some reason Hoster Tully has been set aside? He died in aSoS, and it makes sense he would die in episode 10 this season. Its been established in the show that he is ill, there is no way they keep the actor there for another season and a half on his death bed barely conscious. They can't just keep showing him laying there, but if they don't people will forget he exists by the time he finally dies.

Catelyn is supposed to arrive at Riverrun this episode if things follow the book. She arrives, they have a chat, he dies. Done.

Riverrun will not be shown in this season. Hoster Tully has been discussed as one of the likely candidates, though his death would have to be off screen. Somebody just tells Catelyn about it.

Yoren dies in book 2.

Y'know I'm liking the Jaime's hand hypothesis. They can cut out the whole capture and release and return to rescue Brienne sequence of events in ASoS if, oh I dunno, Theon takes off Jaime's hand. There was no point in Jaime being taken by the Goat other than for him to lose the hand. Jaime would have remained unchanged through the whole journey from Riverrun to KL if he's kept his hand. It was the losing the hand which caused him to re-examine his whole life. Theon doing it is as effective as it being done by the Goat.

I hope you are wrong as if they get to that point, Jaime and Brienne kicking ass togueter is one of the things I'm most looking for in the series

How about Willem Lannister? He's Kevan's son, that was captured in the Whispering Wood and will be murdered by Karstark at the third season. I guess he would fall in the "very minor" character cathegory (we never see him).

They could have had him killed during the Battle of the Green Fork, and see Kevan's reaction on the last episode. Perhaps to show that the war also takes a toll on the lannister side, or to justify why Tywin sends Tyrion instead of Kevan to act as a Hand in King's Landing. And if S3 comes, we can always make up some prisoners for Kartark to murder.

Archived