[Book Spoilers] An Unexpected Death

Westeros

You all keep guessing at too major characters. We know that the producers have a preety big knowledge of the story and they accidently killed the character too early, GRRM had to point it out to them. This would never have happened with the likes of Joff, Robb, Tywin, Shae or Beric. Rast could be possible, offhand I had to think hard to remember when he died, but my guess is that the character in question is even less significant than Rast.

MINOR character. I don't even think Hoster fits how minor the character in fact is. But I can't say much more, beyond the fact that no, I do not actually know who it is. I just know he's VERY minor.

This is from the other day. It's still possible it's Hoster, like it's still technically possible it's Rast, but chances are small.

There are two seperate discussions going on here. One involves what very minor character could be killed off. People completely fail to understand what a very minor character is though.

And then there is the idea that they may cut other characters to simplify things. And they might. Like how the Tullys didn't feature in S1. But they are still alive (as far as we know). So there are various ways to simplify things.

who was the nights watch ranger that got lost with jon and halfhand? doesn't he "die" in book 3? i dont have books with me..i dont remember if he was in book one even..

I don't think we know what happened to that guy. But I don't believe he was cast in GoT, so its not a factor anyhow. :)

Based on my (poor) recollection he actually dies in AFFC but maybe George was being a bit loose in his comments...

Nah. I doubt GRRM gave them the opportunity to nitpick his nitpick. It'd be funny if he did though. :)

Could be Grey Wind if they are hoping to save money on CGI.

Grey Wind's biggest moment is biting off Greatjon's fingers. After that he's almost never shown (though mentioned).

I wouldn't even say that Grey Wind was a minor enough character.

Not that I would expect them to kill another direwolf in S1. Killing 1 is shocking enough.

Couldn't this just be a teaser regarding Beric's original death? He dies early anyways, but is brought back, and then dies in the third book for good. What if the storyline goes exactly as planned and they are just messing with us?

Where was the mention that it would be a minor character?

I think it is Beric, and his story is changed to have him die in battle against Gregor and stay dead permanently. The entire BWB content in future seasons then will be removed and Catelyn and Brienne will have different fates (Brienne probably cut all together if you ask me - I love the character, but her story doesn't contribute to the overall plot). I don't see how they can cut Beric and just replace him with Thoros later, since Beric is clearly the more favored/interesting character.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, as Beric is one of my favorite characters simply because of his legend. He actually doesn't physically appear much in the books at all.

Archived