{BOOK & TV SPOILERS] Episode 3 - What Was Left Out, And What Was Added

The_Halfhand

I dunno why but I found this episode sort of dull! Don't get me wrong, I liked it and it's helping build momentum, but so many key scenes removed...felt bit half-baked in a sense. Dany's transition from demure, frightened child into a woman acting like a Khaleesi felt waaaaay too fast for example. Jon Snow's direwolf nowhere to be found, he's such an important part of his character! Even though I understand training those dogs is alot of work surely adding even just one scene with Ghost following Jon is important? So we at least know Ghost is there. You know, this is why sometimes I wish I hadn't read the books. At least the excellent scenes with Tyrion makes up for it.

Dany's arc might seem fast through that she has limited screen time but at this point she's actually slightly less developed as the khaleesi than in the book. She's harder with Viserys after his attack in the book but here she hasn't gotten quite that far yet.

Regarding the Hand's chain of office and the pin badge, I remember that in the books both of them were present. When he resigned his position as a Hand, it was the pin badge that Ned threw on the table in front of Robert. It's possible that the chain of office will make an appearance later.

My bad, the King shits and the Hand wipes... although my misspelling does give a pretty hilarious mental image.

Yes, I assumed that you just misspelled it rather than that you actually heard it wrong.

As for the change I think it fits pretty well since it's more of a word play on the name of the office, rather than just being a more crude version of the description of the bond between two persons where the name "Hand" has no real importance. That while still maintaining the symbolism of that the King does what he wants and it's the Hand has to do the real work.

Watched it again last night (I have issues). I still did not like the Cersei/Joff scene. Nor the Jaime/Ned scene. The one ig gripe I have with every episode of the show is they never say anyone's name. Why couldn't they say Ser Barristan's name? Why not? Or Old Nan? A quick name here and there would do wonders. That and the lack of wolves. Ghost just sitting there with Snow on the Wall would be poetic. I guess the budget was too steep for that? No clue. Looking forward to next week. A LOT is going to happen.

As for the change I think it fits pretty well since it's more of a word play on the name of the office, rather than just being a more crude version of the description of the bond between two persons where the name "Hand" has no real importance. That while still maintaining the symbolism of that the King does what he wants and it's the Hand has to do the real work.

It'd be rather painful for Shae to wear in the nude though.

I was talking about the new phrase "the king shits and the hand wipes", not the pin that the hand wears (which I believe is in the book as well, together with the chain).

I was thinking that Tyrion had the Hand's chain made as part of his somewhat more ostentatious character compared to Ned?

With all due respect, I bloody well do, aswell as a fair few readers. He takes on a goddamn giant in a tunnel and whacks the best part of Jon's aristocratic hauteur. He's a massive shout-out for disabled readers, aswell as being pretty fun to read about.

So...YEAH.

Almost all of which he can do just fine as a character introduced in the third season, if they go that way. Plus you get the bonus of attracting a better actor with a juicy role for a few episodes rather than one you'd have to have squeezed in with minor bits in season 1 then only revisited in season 3.

The cast and crew of this thing are huge. Watch the credits. Realize just how many people are involved in this production. Then add the massive costumes, sets and CGI. I think it is a remarkable achievement for the relatively small budget of $50M/season.

Almost all of which he can do just fine as a character introduced in the third season, if they go that way. Plus you get the bonus of attracting a better actor with a juicy role for a few episodes rather than one you'd have to have squeezed in with minor bits in season 1 then only revisited in season 3.

The cast and crew of this thing are huge. Watch the credits. Realize just how many people are involved in this production. Then add the massive costumes, sets and CGI. I think it is a remarkable achievement for the relatively small budget of $50M/season.

It's actually not when you realize that all of their decisions lower the production costs. $50mil/season for Ireland with UK crew and relative nobodies for a majority of the roles is not comparable at all to a $50mil budget in the US with union production and name actors. Add into the fact that HBO is notoriously cheap, taking advantage of their cable status to consistently underpay crew and that budget is probably 30- 40% more effective where they're shooting it then the actual per episode comparison would be about $6.5 mil per episode. That's a lot.

The only addition I liked was Robert and his war stories. Then Jaime comes in and Robert asked him about Aerys' last words. I already knew where it is going.

"Burn them all" and the look on Robert's face. A nice foreshadowing for season3, where we'll hopefully see Jaime's redemption.

YMMV obviously, because whilst the changes you have stated are all present and true, the significance and negativity you seem to universally apply to them doesn't make sense to me.

1. Changed: Ned's arrival at king's Landing

In the book, when Ned is immediately summoned to the small council, he refuses because he's just had a long journey, but quickly decides not to shun the other council members upon his arrival. In the show, he goes immidiately without bickering. In the book, he chooses to change his clothes quickly to look presentable. In the show, when the steward recommends he make himself look presentable, Ned gives him the evil eye. What's up with that?

It fits with Ned's character, wariness and mood after his less than pleasant journey and his fears about KL and the fact that given his status someone is telling him what he sees as a practical role cannot wear what he sees as practical and adequate clothing. He is neing snubbed and is not happy about it and is being stronger willed than Ned of the books at this point which given Ned's overall character and current circumstances makes more sense. Agreeing to the instant meeting also makes more sense as Ned sees his job as important and practical and needs to get to work. He is a professional.

2. Added: Jamie meets Ned in the Throne Room

In the book, Ned goes straight to the room of the Small Council where we're first introduced to Littlefinger, Varys, and Grand Maester Pycel. In the show, he first goes to the throne room where Jamie Lannister is waiting for him.

I don't like aspects of this scene - Jaime in the book would NEVER explain himself to Ned nor feel the need to. But the exposition of it is vital in this format. what is worse is that Jaime stabbed Aerys in the back and thus changes the reason WHY the deed was so dishonourable. Jaime even lampshades this and I hope there is a good reason for this change as it does have an impact on Jaime's character. I'd rather just have had a flashback tbh...

3. Changed: "The King Eats, And The Hand Takes The Shit..."

In the book, there is a saying "What the King dreams, the Hand Builds," but Robert communicates the more common phrase "The King eats, and the hand takes the shit" to Ned. But in the show, it has been changed to the less poetic "The King Shits, and the Hand wipes." Yet another odd change of dialogue for no apparent reason.

I prefer this version, it makes more sense and the vulgarity is kind of the point.

4. Added: Jamie's account of the death's of Ned's brother and father.

I believe this was internal monologue from Storm of Swords with Jamie remembering how ned's brother and father were killed by King Aerys, but they fit it into the scene with Ned and Jamie.

This is annoying, I agree. It's exposition I'd rather they saved. I understand it's to make tension between Ned and Jaime but I'm not sure any more tension is needed.

5. Changed: No Barriston Selmy

The first meeting with the Small Council is largely unchanged from the book, but even though we meet Renly, we have yet to meet Ser Barriston Selmy, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

They don't want to add to many characters too early in the episode. I'd have preferred him to be there but I don't think it would have worked.

6. Added: Cercei tending Joffrey's wounds

Seeing Cercei attend Joffrey's wounds, and Joffrey showing his insecurities, and unwillingness to marry Sansa. Quite a different Joffrey from the one in the books. Also, Cercei suggesting Joffrey fuck whores is entirely out of character for her. And Cercei's advice to Joffrey about his conquest of the North was far too shrewd for her.

a) in what way is her advice shrewd?

B) it's based on her own experiences with Robert and helps actually portray the reason for Cersei hating Robert which is a vital aspect of her character

c) in GoT Cersei IS shrewd - she is the main villain at this point and doesn't suffer from villain decay until later as other posters have pointed out

7. Changed: Sansa and Arya eating

In the book, this scene happens much later after the arrival in King's Landing and definitely after Ned meets with Catelyn. In the book, its a dinner scene in the Small Hall, and the Hand's Tourney is discussed. In the book, after Ned leaves, Arya runs away angry from Septa Mordane and runs to her room, where Ned later finds her and talks to her. In the show, Ned sends her to her room.

This change is irrelevant and barely counts - it still fits with the overall timeline and with all the characters' personalities

8. Added: Ned and Arya's talk of Joffrey

This quick exchange about Joffrey being a liar was not in the book.

But acts to remind the audience and to cement Ned and Arya's relationship.

9. Changed: Ned's talk of survival in the winter

No talk of the lone wolf dying while the pack survives. Kind-of important symbolism completely left out of the show.

I agree

10. Left Out: Bran's dream of the three-eyed crow.

Old Nan's reference to the crow is kinda odd since there was no set up of the three-eyed crow.

THis is odd but I expect to see a deleted scene in the DVD

11. Changed: Bran's scene with Old Nan

No mention of "Brandon the Builder" in this scene. And Rob does not come to him in the book, instead its Maester Luwin and Hodor, who take him down to the Hall to sit with Rob, who is meeting with Tyrion Lannister on his way back from the Wall. Obviously, this scene was moved up in the timeline of the TV show, and Bran sits and talks to Rob and talks about losing the use of his legs.

12. Changed: Catelyn's arrival in King's Landing

In the book, she arrives by sea and gets to King's Landing before Ned.

13. Changed: Catelyn's meeting with Littlefinger

In the book, it was the Tyroshi merchant Moreo who ratted out Catelyn's arrival to Littlefinger. In the book, she's staying in an Inn and is summoned by men of the City Watch while Ser Roderick is away, and taken to Littlefinger's Brothel.

14. Added: Tyrion's scene with Commander Mormont at the Wall

In the book Tyrion never witnessed Ser Allister's training of the boys with Mormont, and Mormont never inexplicably gave Tyrion the message from Winterfell about Bran's revival.

15. Changed: Jon's conversation with Donal Noye

In the book, the one-armed smith of the Night's Watch, Donel Noye, is the man who points out Jon's "bullying" of the recruits. In the show, they gave these lines to Tyrion. Also, in the book, it's Grenn's wrist Jon injured, not his nose, and the others were not present during Jon's lecture.

I think this works better

16: Added: Cercei and Jamie arguing about Bran

Yet another scene told in flashback in a Storm of Swords moved up to the TV show.

17: Added: Robert talking with Ser Barriston Selmy

Robert recounts killing a Tarly boy as his first kill in battle to Ser Barristan. We also get to meet Lancel in this scene, and get the story of Jamie fighting the Kingswood Brotherhood, yet another bit of info from a Storm of Swords moved up to game of Thrones. This scene was not in the book, and only serves to make Robert seem like a true ass hole.

I think it shows how Robert's kingdom has worn him down. Plus Robert is a bit of an asshole.

18. Changed: The Dothraki Sea

In the book, Danny rides off alone on her horse into the Dothraki sea after commanding the khalasar to halt and wait for her. In the TV show she dismounts and wanders off for no apparent reason. Also, in the book, she's the one who commands Viserys to walk back to camp without a horse... something that has much more meaning in the book than it did in the show having Jhogo make that decision. Also, in the book it was made clear Viserys was enraged after Mormont told him to stay on the ridge. In the TV show, it seemed a little odd that Viserys would fly off the handle without recieving a direct command.

19. Changed: Jon's final meeting with Benjen Stark.

In the book, the meeting happened as Benjen was riding out for his ranging, not at the top of the Wall.

20. Changed: Tyrion's meeting in the feast hall of Castle Black

We finally get a proper introduction to Yoren, who seems much less sour than he was in the books. And for some reason, Benjen Stark is given all of Allister Thorne's hostility towards Tyrion.

21. Changed: The revelation of Danny's Pregnancy

slight change from the books. Danny is practicing her dothraki when Jhiqui tells her she's pregnant. In the book, Danny already knows. In the show, it takes Danny by surprise.

22. Added: Mormont's scene with Jhogo, discussing weapons and armor

This was not in the books. And in the books, Jorah never left the khalasar to ride to Quohor after discovering danny was pregnant.

But it does help lead the audience to understand Jorah is dodgy

23. Removed: Jon offering his help to Grenn and embarassing Thorne

Though we see Jon in the yard helping Grenn and Pyp, we don't see the transformation he goes through in the books heading into the feast hall to offer his help, and making fun of Ser Allister.

24. Changed: Tyrion's talk with Mormont and Maester Aemon

Many of Mormont's lines were given to Maester Aemon, who comes off more dour and crabby than he does in the books. In the books, the conversation he has with Mormont about the state of the Night's Watch is done alone, at night by a fire. Here, its done with both Mormont and Maester Aemon during the day.

25. Added: Danny and Drogo in bed

The scene where she tells Drogo her child will be a boy was not in the book.

26. Added: Tyrion pissing off the top of the wall

In the book, Tyrion never actually pissed off the edge of the world. However, they seemed to feel the need to show that in the TV series. Also, Jon did not ask Tyrion to help Bran, as he did in the book. And they completely left out the whole "friendship" affirmation that preceded the final handshake between Jon and Tyrion.

27. Changed: Ned watching Arya with Syrio Forell

In the books, Ned was never present at any of Arya's trainings. Also, Syrio Forell was bald in the book.

Overall, I thought the pace of this episode was much to fast, and the writers are yet again making strange changes to iconic lines and scenes. The best scene in my opinion was Arya and Syrio, since it was the most faithful to the books and worked the best in the show. Honestly, many of these changes are just unnecessary. Makes me wonder why the producers are doing these changes.

Some of them are useful because you have to introduce characters more slowly and information more blatantly on a TV show

Also: NO GHOST AGAIN!!!! What is up with that? And come to think of it, no sight of Mormont's crow either. :-(

Meh, Ghost's time will come

Guest Raids

Believe it or not, we can already read the whole OP...in the OP.

The lack of ghost sucks for me also. And the Dany/Viserys scene. Did she have to pee? Where was she going? Why does she just go back?

The lack of ghost sucks for me also. And the Dany/Viserys scene. Did she have to pee? Where was she going? Why does she just go back?

He's written his responses to each point in the OP within the quote.

As for Dany, I thought it was quite clear how they were talking about how the Dothraki get and keep their slaves and how she stopped after a slave was being beaten. Dany can sympathize with them as she's practically been a slave to Viserys and to me it seemed like she needed to get away from that for a while. You can see her taking a relaxed sigh when she comes to the clearing, before Viserys storms in.

Sorry, i wrote my response on my phone and did not realise that would happen. As has been noted, I've posted individual responses within the quote marks but missed out some of the middle ones because it was taking too long and I was worried I'd sign out automatically and have to start again

I miss Mormont's crow - I keep looking for him and Ghost more than I would have expected.

The cut of the 3-Eyed Crow bothers me too - that's a setup for the 'warg' revelation much later.

Archived