[BOOK SPOILERS] EP103 Discussion II

Kat

I never got the Bronn love. He's an opportunistic mercenary who knows how to fight dirty and is not shy about doing it. Hurray?

I never got the Bronn love. He's an opportunistic mercenary who knows how to fight dirty and is not shy about doing it. Hurray?

I see a number of parallels to Boba Fett here.

It's more about his personality than his fighting prowess I'd say. He's a common sellsword but is still not afraid to say what he wants and he has a good deal of funny comments. Pretty much the perfect companion for Tyrion.

Well as someone who is not of noble blood, he either had to become a nobody(farmer,butcher etc) and lead a peasant life, or become a mercenary get paid for being a warrior and have a chance to some day get close to a noble lord. Do you blame him for becoming a lord from being a low born mercenary?

Just the few things i found odd:

- Joffrey saying he doesnt want to marry Sansa. Why the hell???? She did nothing to him!!! And she is still hot for their age. I dont recall Joffrey being romantic or whatever. Also, this will be weird as soon enough it will look like he wants to marry her again. The series Joffrey is not only a spoilled jerk, he is also a sissy and he doesnt even make sense......he is totally wrong. Makes for a good bad guy but its a bit over the top......nothing we havent seen in the series :) altough i do understand creative freadom.

- Danny and Viserys scnene: I had this one spotted since the previews. They defenetely messed this one up. And this time, it didnt look really better due to the changes. This is one of the very few instances where i dont get why they changed it. I get that they are playing Danny a lot more like a Mary Sue (welcome aboard Danny hatters!) and that explains why she doesnt give the order against Viserys....but still, the changing of th set and the lack of reason for her to stop did nothing to improve the scene.

- Arya welcoming Nedd sword in hand: This was odd!!!! I´m getting used to feelling odd on Arya scenes and Maisie still manages to pull it out for me. But....really.....what were they thinking??? Arya as been given that sword in secrecy, she is affraid that she may not be able to keep it.....and.....when her father knocks on the door....she quetly goes and opens the door holding Needle like the most natural thing in the world.....What the......that was odd!!! And even more odd, Nedd didnt seem to notice for a few seconds.....it´s like.....your 11 year old daughter is just holding a sword in front of you and you know she may be angry....he should be a bit freaked out if Arya really did that. I know this is medieval times....still....try to imagine: You just told your kid to go to the room and expect some punishment and when you knock the kid is holding a gun in front of you......you would be freaked out!!!!!

That's exactly how it happened in the book, RSasoiaf . Arya was deep in her thoughts and forgot she had it in her hand when she opened the door to let her father in. Ned probably wasn't surprised at first because he's used to Arya playing with weapons she's not supposed to be and may not have even realized it was real until he examined it closely.

That's exactly how it happened in the book, RSasoiaf . Arya was deep in her thoughts and forgot she had it in her hand when she opened the door to let her father in. Ned probably wasn't surprised at first because he's used to Arya playing with weapons she's not supposed to be and may not have even realized it was real until he examined it closely.

Our mind plays tricks on us :)

Ohhh well...i do not own the truth. Still, it felt odd to me when seing it. It was one of those moments where a child´s reaction is allways: "ouch, fathers comming....hide everything!!!"

Maybe in the book it was not so obvious as it was on screen and i did not notice it that much :)

I do think it helps that in the book we see what her thoughts are so it's easy for us readers to forget she has it in her hand too. This is one of the many examples about how challenging this series can be to adapt in a different medium. ;) Perhaps they could have changed it, had her try and hide it quickly and sloppily enough that Ned sees it when he comes into room. I didn't think it was that jarring of a scene on the show, but this one could argue it might have been better had they not been so faithful to the text in this instance.

Was anyone else bugged by the fact that they didn't really show that Ned had a retinue upon his arrival? I mean, it looks like just him, several houseguards, and his two daughters on a shabby cart. Lacks grandness, and people may be confused later on, when the fighting breaks, and Ned suddenly seems to have a lot of people out of nowhere.

Was anyone else bugged by the fact that they didn't really show that Ned had a retinue upon his arrival? I mean, it looks like just him, several houseguards, and his two daughters on a shabby cart. Lacks grandness, and people may be confused later on, when the fighting breaks, and Ned suddenly seems to have a lot of people out of nowhere.

IIRC, in the book, Ned keeps his party separate from Robert's after the Lady incident. The show doesn't address this directly, but I thought that shot was a nod to it.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, well there was a very interesting thing that i noticed while rewatching the 3rd episode of GoT Series. When Arya and Syrio are practicing in the courtyard, they are using wooden sticks. Then Eddard Stark walks in and observes. Here's the interesting part. You hear Real Swords clashing in the background while Sean Bean's face goes from *Proud of his Daughter* to Sad. All the while Syrio is thwarting all of Arya's attempts and repeating "Dead, Dead, Dead". Keeping the fact in mind that Arya is known to bear a significant resemblance to Lyanna Stark. Did we just got a glimpse of what happened at the Tower of Joy at the night of Lyanna's Death?

Hmmm, well there was a very interesting thing that i noticed while rewatching the 3rd episode of GoT Series. When Arya and Syrio are practicing in the courtyard, they are using wooden sticks. Then Eddard Stark walks in and observes. Here's the interesting part. You hear Real Swords clashing in the background while Sean Bean's face goes from *Proud of his Daughter* to Sad. All the while Syrio is thwarting all of Arya's attempts and repeating "Dead, Dead, Dead". Keeping the fact in mind that Arya is known to bear a significant resemblance to Lyanna Stark. Did we just got a glimpse of what happened at the Tower of Joy at the night of Lyanna's Death?

• 10 months later...

Hello Everbody, first time / long time here.

I think the end of this episode gave us the best clue of all, of what really happened, at the Tower of Joy.

Watch the sword fight scene with Syrio at the end. Listen to the sound effects. Watch very closely Ned's face, especially when Syrio gets his last "death" blow landed.

I think this is foreshadowing what will be later revealed about the fight between the Kingsguard, Ned and his northmen, and Lyanna Stark.

What this suggested to me, and again this is of course specualtion, is quite the fight ensued, and Lyanna "got in the way", either in an effort to plead end the battle, support one side or the other, or simply bad luck. This produced a mortal wound from which she would later die.

I ask those interested, again, to review the last scene of this episode, watch closely Arya and Syrio's battle, and at the very end, it looks like Syrio "sticks" Arya... and the look on Ned's face...

I'm telling you, he was thinking of the Tower of Joy. This is a big clue IMO.

Sorry if discussed already elsewhere. Great board, thanks for it.

Best

Scott Perrell

Long Island NY

Archived