What does your Bookcase/shelf say about you?

JimS600

My shelves look like Lany's 'three-b' shelf. The books are sortof stacked on top of each other after a single attempt at order was made. It's about 50/50 paperback to hardback. The to-be-reads had a section of their own but have managed to crawl all over the shelves at this point.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread simply because I am too much in love not to share.

Our built-ins are finally finished!

And they are beautiful. The cat likes them too. She really does.

Now we just have to put the rest of the books on the shelves and move the ugly file cabinet out of the way.

Reviving this thread simply because I am too much in love not to share.

Our built-ins are finally finished!

And they are beautiful. The cat likes them too. She really does.

Now we just have to put the rest of the books on the shelves and move the ugly file cabinet out of the way.

Nice! I wish I had that big a bookcase so mine weren't so unorganized. I love built-ins though!

Wow Lady Whitestripe, that looks amazing! One day, one day...

I desperately need more bookcases (plural). Just now a majority of my books are stacked in corners of rooms, spilling out from everywhere you look. Until I move home I don't know how much space I'm going to have so don't want to buy shelves yet - so stacks by author / piles vaguely by genre it is for now!

I desperately need more bookcases (plural). Just now a majority of my books are stacked in corners of rooms, spilling out from everywhere you look. Until I move home I don't know how much space I'm going to have so don't want to buy shelves yet - so stacks by author / piles vaguely by genre it is for now!

That's what happened to us. Our books were spilling out of the crappy IKEA bookshelves we had and we could not find replacements that we liked. One night at a dinner party, one of the guests mentioned that he was a carpenter. We asked if he could slot us in. He did and now we have these beautiful bookcases (after about an eight month wait!)

I kind of vaguely admire those willing to organise bookshelves by colour, because I'd probably snap and go crazy. I'm gonna assume you need a really good memory to tolerate the total lack of actual organization involved in what is at best a vanity project. Though they do look very cool.

I did it a few months back, but it was simply out of boredom and procrastination. (I was studying for calculus and bouncing off the walls by then.) It lt looked neat for a bit, but had it's flaws - like the top shelf was all white-grey-beige and looked really dull, and then I was boggled by Otherland - the dominant color, by spinal acerage, is black, and yet they're clearly color coded. I gave up at that point.

It says i have more books than I know what do with and that more cinder blocks and 2x12's are needed to expand said bookshelves. That will make a nice Winter project, I reckon...

Taken as a whole, we have about 200 feet of book shelves and need about another 80 to get everything shelved.

As to what's on those shelves- 30% history and non-fiction, 50% fantasy and sci fi and 20% mysteries, general fiction, etc.

• 11 months later...

Archived