[BOOK SPOILERS] EP105 Discussion

Ran

I will try to do so, it was just a general request thrown out, I looked back when you asked and saw which two. Neither was you, I think.

Your problem is saying something that was clearly in the books isn't canon. Just because you missed it doesn't mean it wasn't there.

- I liked the Hound's very, very subtle nod of appreciation to the crowd as they cheered him. Very good acting for the character.

- Renly's actor looks fine to me, but why is he being written as such a pussy? Scared of blood, never fought, loathe to go hunting, complaining about getting picked on by his brothers. I guess it gives a better reason for him to declare as king though, having your lover convince you that you deserve it. His claims in the novel never really held any weight.

Agree on Renly, very strange change to his character. Not sure the purpose of that; Ned always remarked that he was like Robert in his youth.

I laughed out loud when Bran couldn't think of the Lannister words-they vanish so quickly from the novels too.

Great episode. I'm thrilled by the way the writers have taken the liberty to add new scenes and tweak old favorites. The tv adaptation has to be different from the novels to succeed-from my perspective, it's done a great job so far.

Eh, as a friend said to me when I asked her if she knew the gay thing (which she said she did), "Why the hell would we assume rainbow in Medieval fantasy = gay? I just figured Renly = flamboyant, yay, rainbows!!! Flair." She got that they were gay but not at all from the rainbow cloak thing. I remember reading about that the first time and literally thinking "What an odd choice for GRRM to make with the gay implications of rainbow in our society!" Haha, clearly I am clueless (it took me a second reading to get the gay thing. I'm not good with subtlety...or anything besides being directly told things, apparently, LOL.

I hear ya. I see it somewhat on par with his shout outs to Robert Jordan and Tad Williams when the southern lords appear in the third (?) book. House Jordayne of Tor who has a golden quill on a green and white checked banner? ;)

I don't remember exactly when I realized they were lovers - it's been awhile and I've read the first 3 books at least seven times over the past 10+ years. Here's a little secret about me so that I can hopefully make some of you feel better - I never figured out the R+L=J theory on my own.

Why did nobody explain who attacked Catelyn & company? Sure Tyrion mentioned hill people five minutes earlier, but a random attack should have been given some details after. Even one line, "Damn these savage mountain clans." I feel like they aren't catering to the non-reader enough in some of these scenes.

Yup, it's clear in the books that the guys are gay. GRRM handled it very well. HBO is more blatent but that's ok with me.

Over at WIC.net it's about to get ugly over this. So I came over here. Play nice folks!

Lysa's boob MUST be fake. Please??!!!?

GREAT episode. Loved it! Cerc & Robert scene was fantastic.

But I miss Jon...........

The boob looked pretty fake to me, and I'm guessing it was to avoid the real life icky factor of a young boy sucking on a woman's breast for real if so. I mean, this is HBO, but there are limits I suppose.

Great episode indeed.

My favorite scene wasn't a major scene, but I loved the scene with Arya and the guards. She gets better every episode.

The dragon skulls were a little hard to see. The person that I watched with didn't know what they were.

Too bad Jory didn't get to sleep with that courtesan before he died. She was the sexiest girl that I've seen in the show, so far. Absolutely stunning.

I haven't quite decided on the scene with Robert and Cersei.

I'm a little sad that Varys isn't being portrayed as the master of disguise. I don't think he was even disguised when Arya saw him and Illyrio in the dungeon.

All the fight scenes were great.

Lysa's tit couldn't have been real, could it?

Off to bed shortly. Our recap and analysis/review, plus a brief book-to-screen thing, at our episode guide.

And.... stop it with the Rainbow Guard! It has nothing to do with what GRRM intened to convey about Renly or Loras, as indicated here:

The Rainbow Guard isn't meant to symbolize Renly's sexuality. It was more of a culmination of several unrelated things, such as the fact that he'd already used white for the Kingsguard and black for the Night's Watch. A rainbow is seven colors combined together in one object - he compared it to a shamrock being a Irish Catholic symbol of the Holy Trinity, three parts which make up one thing. Plus it has seven colors and is tied to the Seven, plus worshipers of the Seven use prism rainbows in their temples.

It's, literally, coincidence. I expect GRRM, a child of the 50s and 60s, doesn't see a rainbow image and think "LGBT" as his first association.

- I liked the Hound's very, very subtle nod of appreciation to the crowd as they cheered him. Very good acting for the character.

This. Very nicely done on McCann's part. Very nice, indeed. I mean, who ever cheers this deeply scarred and wounded man. Then, they did, and he made us see that it felt like a bit of warm honey for the first time in his life. Very nicely done.

The mods are pretty good at that, actually. :smoking:

Seems so, it is a peeve of mine when (and this is not exclusive to the internet, but it sure as hell is more prevalent here) people all point and laugh at the new kid who doesn't know something they all take to common truth. (whether it is or not) As such, I am going to speak up when I see it going on. I'd rather folks regulate themselves than the mods do it.

The only scene that seems less than stellar to me was Theon's. Written for mandatory HBO sex, or to explain Theon's backstory for the fourth time in two episodes?

Could have been used for more tournament IMO.

Off to bed shortly. Our recap and analysis/review, plus a brief book-to-screen thing, at our episode guide.

And.... stop it with the Rainbow Guard! It has nothing to do with what GRRM intened to convey about Renly or Loras, as indicated here:

It's, literally, coincidence. I expect GRRM, a child of the 50s and 60s, doesn't see a rainbow image and think "LGBT" as his first association.

My first go with the RG was that it was flamboyant and was more about style and being different from all the other kings. However, it was a total "Ah Hah!" moment when it did click, intended or no.

The only scene that seems less than stellar to me was Theon's. Written for mandatory HBO sex, or to explain Theon's backstory for the fourth time in two episodes?

Could have been used for more tournament IMO.

I disagree. People need to see Theon go from ward to rebel and this is planting the seeds.

Kaitscralt,

Not so much explaining Theon's backstory, but perhaps building on a sense of resentment. This will not be the last episode. They're clearly setting up his turn in season 2.

Archived