[BOOK SPOILERS] EP105 Discussion

Ran

The only scene that seems less than stellar to me was Theon's. Written for mandatory HBO sex, or to explain Theon's backstory for the fourth time in two episodes?

Could have been used for more tournament IMO.

Added Ros time, I think, as much as anything else. Hadn't they decided to give her more screen time (and a name!) after the pilot?

I'm kind of glad the tourney was cut short. I'm not usually one to pick on the budget cuts, but the tourney set was so sparse it was distracting. Nothing close to what I imagined. High school football games have more attendance.

Yea but I don't see why they couldn't move the Sandor backstory to this episode instead and have him tell Sansa it and also about Gregor's lance going where Gregor wants. It would have added more to the story than the Robert/Cersei scene, which seemed superfluous to me unlike the Renly/Loras scene, which actually set up future events.

Kaitscralt,

Not so much explaining Theon's backstory, but perhaps building on a sense of resentment. This will not be the last episode. They're clearly setting up his turn in season 2.

Yea that makes sense, but they should also set up his friendship with Robb to make that arc more tragic. Hopefully they do.

Yea but I don't see why they couldn't move the Sandor backstory to this episode instead and have him tell Sansa it and also about Gregor's lance going where Gregor wants. It would have added more to the story than the Robert/Cersei scene, which seemed superfluous to me unlike the Renly/Loras scene, which actually set up future events.

I saw Littfeflinger taking that moment to tell Sansa the story as a way of distracting her from the gruesome death of Ser Hugh. It's starting his role as her protector in troubled times.

The only scene that seems less than stellar to me was Theon's. Written for mandatory HBO sex, or to explain Theon's backstory for the fourth time in two episodes?

Could have been used for more tournament IMO.

Theon's backstory doesn't come into play for FOREVER... can't believe they decided to spend so much time on it now.

Heh, first it was Theon is being forgotten, now he is getting too much time. I would not want to ever write a screenplay from an established source material.

Not that anyone would want to see such a screenplay performed anyway...

I never figured out the R+L=J theory on my own.

Haha, oh please, neither did I. If I didn't get the bashed-on-the-head-with-innuendo Renly/Loras thing, I certainly didn't get that one until I started playing on this site. ;) And again, that's true of nearly everyone I've asked that I know personally. Unless we're all a bunch of morons (and I have to say I doubt it, as we all have graduate degrees and most of us are teachers, some in literature!), I'd wager some people that say both were OH SO OBVIOUS to them on first read through are lying. But that's fine. Now we all know everything thanks to these forums!

Things I liked about the episode:

- The running theme/joke about Arya being a boy, which will become important later

- The fight scene outside the brothel was awesome.

- The view from Tyrion's cell was stunning, cant tell if it sloped. In fact, the whole Vale part rocked

- And of course, Theon's dick. I can't claim to have actually seen it, but others do and who am I to doubt them.

Things I was meh about:

- The tourney crowd scenes continue to underwhelm.

- Loras looked more than a bit ridiculous.

Things I didnt like:

- The shaving scene wasn't quite the way I'd have shown the Loras/Renly relationship. Also, how the hell are they going to show him about to battle Stannis with an army behind him when he cant even stand the sight of blood.

My favorite scene wasn't a major scene, but I loved the scene with Arya and the guards. She gets better every episode.

Absolutely true. Every scene with Arya in it has been flawless. As soon as I see her on screen, I just start grinning. She *is* Arya Stark. Here's hoping we get to see her as Cat of the Canals.

I finally came up with an analogy for how I feel about the changes to Cersei.

It's like if you sat down, all excited, to watch the Harry Potter movies in a theater for the first time... and it turned out that Voldemort is just really really sad because Dumbledore wasn't nice to him in school.

This made me full of ROFLs. I'm reserving judgment on how I feel about the recharacterization of Cercei, but that analogy is hilarious.

Things I liked about the episode:

- The running theme/joke about Arya being a boy, which will become important later

- The fight scene outside the brothel was awesome.

- The view from Tyrion's cell was stunning, cant tell if it sloped. In fact, the whole Vale part rocked

- And of course, Theon's dick. I can't claim to have actually seen it, but others do and who am I to doubt them.

Things I was meh about:

- The tourney crowd scenes continue to underwhelm.

- Loras looked more than a bit ridiculous.

Things I didnt like:

- The shaving scene wasn't quite the way I'd have shown the Loras/Renly relationship. Also, how the hell are they going to show him about to battle Stannis with an army behind him when he cant even stand the sight of blood.

They showed water running out of the cell. Thus sloped (at least the runoff groove is). Of course this is just speculation.

out of curiosity, did they ever tell us why Arya is chasing after cats on the show???

that was a cool scene, even though I don't like the cat the cast as Balerion, not nearly big, mean or battered enough :P

Yes, last episode Arya told Ned about starting to chase cats. It was the scene where he finds her balancing on one foot at the top of the stairs.

Also, now I know what Ran meant on his original reviews when he said that the 5th episode is where the show feels like it finally lets itself breathe.

I think focusing on only a few settings really helped this episode. It felt more fleshed out than some of the other ones.

Archived