Logen Ninefingers aka The Bloody Nine

Aehole targaryen

I fail to see how B9 would be anything less than giddy if he got his hands on it, as well a why it doesn't fit "his style." It's basically B9 made a melee weapon, it destroys everything it touches, completely and without preamble.

The idea of B9 being his fathers spirit is an interesting one, though don't we know that his dad was a sweetheart? I may be wrong on that, or even if it is true I guess Logen's opinion would be a bit biased.

All we really know about Logen's father is that he had some very decent principles, not that he was ever really a sweetheart. His father's spirit embodying the Bloody Nine doesn't really fit at any point. The constant references, I think, are a way for Logen to keep himself as level headed as he can be.

There is to much violence in his past for it to be his father really, although we never really get a picture of exactly what he is like. We know that Logen stabbed him when he was in The Bloody Nine form, though this didnt kill him.

• 1 month later...

I don't think B9 is any one spirit, I think it's just a culmination of angry spirits dwelling up inside of Logen and taking over him. I'm pretty sure on one of his rampages someone called him Logen and he said something like that he didn't have a name. Unless I'm remembering that incorrectly then it could be an indication that it is multiple angry spirits or maybe just some demonic force from the other side.

• 1 month later...

Ok to start i have always thought Logan as a D & D nerd is the best description of a Barbarian and rage i have ever seen written. I also like that outside his alter ego he is this BA warrior poet/philosopher. I have always gone back and forth on the whole is it just a mental instability (Tyler Durdan) or an actual spirit possessing him.

My new crackpot theory is that it has to do with Bedesh.

Each of the sons of Euz had a particular gift. It in theory took one of each of them working together to find the seed. We learn quite a bit about the war between the brothers and the weapons they made and used.....but not so much about Bedesh. Who i also don't remember ever being stated as actually dead...just gone from the world. In the same way Kanedias MADE the feared to fight in his wars......or Glustrod trucked with demons and i beleive is tied Ferro. Mayhaps Bedesh MADE the Bloody 9 and perhaps a few other warriors like him to fight against Glustrod. These men joined with spirits would be used to carry out his agenda. This also might explain how the weapon of Euz (the seed) was what was able to easily break this powerful weapon.

• 2 years later...

Well as this has popped up and been necro'd, thought I'd chuck my 2p in:

We see two types of B9 in the books. The utterly unstoppable kill-everything-that-moves Bloody Nine we see in the trilogy, and a slightly less psychotic blend between more normal Logan and the B9 we're told about and see in Red Country. We know he wasn't constantly killing people back in the day (how could he, it would be impossible to keep it up.) And he takes the time in Red Country to do things like take the man out to hang him, the B9 we see in the trilogy would have just ripped him apart then and there and then turned on Shy without blinking an eye. Whilst the POV we have on the bloody nine was on two occasions about to kill Ferro.

It's the fact there is a sliding scale that makes me think it is just a split personality. We are sometimes inclined to think of Logan as a nice guy, but only because we see his POV, when other characters are seeing him, he's a very different character. Logan may talk of regrets, but at the end of the day he'd rather kill his problems than solve them. He's like Wolverine, 'I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.' It's both a lament and a boast, and he does like his reputation. Logan was glad to give into his murderous side in RC, and I think that's partly why he held onto a semblance of sense. Whereas he was fighting it in the trilogy, fooling himself he wasn't a violent man.

As for the abilites he displays, Logan is a dangerous fighter as it is, if he can have a psychotic break so that he feels no pain he'd be very dangerous indeed.

My impression was split personality (or is it disassociative personality?), except for that one passage in the circle with Feared that seemed to suggest demonic possession. Red Country definitely reinforced the former. Either way he's a great character.

Archived