How Would You Rate Episode 109?

Ran

420 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

My first ten, we got Walder Frey(+2), we got Aemon Targ(+1) even if they did shorten down his three tests, we got Tyrion telling his back story (+5) and we have the dancing tent and another decent fight (2)

The only negative is this very WTF Shae thing, okay Shae what? and no Halfman killing But I'll move past that considering everything else.

2/10

We spend more time introducing Shae then on the battle that puts the Starks in the advantage? The pacing and general choices on what to show given the material astound me. The scene with Tyrion playing a game went on for like 7 min, longer then the time we get for BOTH battles combined.....wtf

More thorough post later after I have re-watched. I did think the acting was VERY good, I just question the writing, editing, and decisions on what to show.

Edited by Nihilist

Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined specifically to post my displeasure with this episode. 1/10. I'm never watching this show again. They butcher two important and relatively small scale battles compared to the future battles in the series. If they're gonna do this to small scale battles then I might as well quit watching right now because I don't want to watch a terrible Blackwater episode. I might as well not set myself up for disapointment. I didn't even get to enjoy Ned's death because I was fuming about that the fact that I got screwed out of two major battles. I can't believe they pulled a Rome on me. This is even worse then when they had a seven episode build-up of a fight between Pompey and Caesar and then just show the aftermath. You just lost yourself a viewer HBO.

EDIT: Thanks for the useless time wasting Tyrion "guess what" scene.

Edited by TamTam Rapley

Very happy again. As is my standard, "How does it do in following the books?" I rated it excellent. The whole Tyrion "guessing game" thing was a huge bore for me though and it felt like it brought the episode to a halt for a bit. I gave it an 8.5. I have liked these last two shows far and above the first seven.

After reading some of the previous posts, I see what pleases me doesn't sit well with others. It really shows that people are diverse in what they want from the show.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I joined specifically to post my displeasure with this episode. 1/10. I'm never watching this show again. They butcher two important and relatively small scale battles compared to the future battles in the series. If they're gonna do this to small scale battles then I might as well quit watching right now because I don't want to watch a terrible Blackwater episode. I might as well not set myself up for disapointment. I didn't even get to enjoy Ned's death because I was fuming about that the fact that I got screwed out of two major battles. I can't believe they pulled a Rome on me. This is even worse then when they had a seven episode build-up of a fight between Pompey and Caesar and then just show the aftermath. You just lost yourself a viewer HBO.

Boo hoo.

I was going to give it 4 but decided I was allowing my infuriation over getting ripped of two major and important battles cloud my judgement too much. I'm tring not to let having read the books cloud my judgement of the series. Still, I could only give it a 6.

Seriously, if this is the gameplan they are going to follow, seasons two and three are going to give me an anuerism. I know they can't get everything in there, and from a budget standpoint, might as well cut out the big battle scenes, but if this just turns into a soap opera while wearing swords, I'll be sorely disappointed. Get a significant budget for large battle scenes for Season 2, please, for the sake of my mental health.

Loved almost every part. I understand they had to cut the Tyrion's battle sequence, but couldn't they have shown them charging into battle and then found him unconscious on the field after the battle, next to the corpse of a kill of his? Having him knocked out by his own men was cheap and lame. Very disappointed by that.

Other than that... I thought it was easily the best episode of the season. I have to give it a -1 for the Tyrion misstep so 9/10 for me.

Totally agree with you mate. I didn't expect them to show Whispering Wood, thought they might show Jaime cutting down a few Northmen just to give him some air-time but the way they completely distorted the other battle was just awful. It made Tyrion look like an incompetent oaf, deprived of us a pretty exciting scene which I enjoyed in the books and like you said, this battle was small potatoes compared to what's ahead. Maybe budgetary constraints? Well if they'd just followed Tyrions contribution to the battle for a couple minutes showing the tribemen fighting it wouldn't have been that costly.

Also, if I hadn't read the series i'd have no idea what the significance of those two battles was. The friend I was watching with was clueless that Riverun's siege had just been lifted not to mention the predicament now facing Tywin's half of the Lannister army which is effectively cut-off.

IMO this particular episode simply didn't do the book any justice.

Just to add, Not only did my mate (who hasn't read the series) not know Riverun's siege had just been lifted, he didn't know it was besieged in the first place..... But at least he knows that Bronn's dad beat him and that Shae doesn't like it when Tyrion talks about her parents!

Edited by MrDoog