Where to get ADWD early?

Wow at the lack of a bit of patience in so many of you. Is it so very difficult to just wait a while until the 12th?

Fair call, you're right it really is only a few days difference. I think for me at least it's just the fact that there seemed a good chance we'd get it on the first of July (3 out of 4 bookstores I went to had that as the release date, and even up until the 31st it was being advertised as such) that's made me so eager.

But at the end of the day I guess a bit of extended anticipation is no bad thing in itself (as was eloquently articulated by that French dude that wanted to bone Marge Simpson that one time)

I don't know about A & R and Borders but I CAN confirm that no books have arrived at QBD (and they also had a release date advertised as 01/07) and it's now not expected to arrive until the 11th (in preparation for selling on the 12th).

I originally hoped that A & R may ignore any embargo if they actually had it in store, but now I reckon it's most likely the books won't arrive on our shores till just before the release.

Which doesn't mean I won't be dropping into the local A & R at lunch time tomorrow (just in case......)

I'm in Perth - A&R has already closed here and Borders is closing before the 12th. We don't have a QBD. Dymocks is our last major chain store, not counting Target and the like, and Dymocks are telling people they won't have it until the 14th.

I think my best bet is my local small bookstore, which currently has stickers on all it's GRRM books advertising ADWD for 12.7.11.

Unless Borders decides to sell it early. I will of course be having a quick walk through every lunchtime until it shuts (it's near my work :thumbsup: ).

I am impatient as hell.

Near me, most of the stores get their new books in on Tuesdays and typically the first Tuesday of the month for that month's releases. Since I'm off anyway, peeking in a store or two while running errands isn't so far out of my way, but I sincerely doubt any stores here will be putting out anything early.

Hi,

There has been a very small leak in Sweden. I got my hand on an UK edition yesterday at one of the two chains in central Sundsvall. Their webshop says the release date is 1/7 but deliveries have been postponed until next week.

I checked with this store last week after the german "release" and they had ordered three copies which arrived yesterday. Somebody is either not reading e-mails or is on vacation because I found two books in the fantasy section. The staff followed the release date from the webshop.

I don't know if the last copy is sold or if alarms where raised last night so it was pulled but there is a small possibility that is waits there.

The leaks seem to be spreading worldwide. I was expecting to get my copy on the 12th, but my wife found ADWD in the grocery store yesterday (July 5th) here in Northern Virginia. Hope everyone else gets their copy soon.

The leaks seem to be spreading worldwide. I was expecting to get my copy on the 12th, but my wife found ADWD in the grocery store yesterday (July 5th) here in Northern Virginia. Hope everyone else gets their copy soon.

I got mine last night at a bookstore in D.C. They seem to be popping up all over.

Thank god I'm committed to getting it on my Kindle or else I'd be wasting all my free time trolling all the book sellers. God only knows it's happened before. :ohwell:

I have mine coming on Kindle too... so I paid for it twice. But I saw a friend of mine post a picture of him holding it on Facebook last night, and I just couldn't resist. me = weak.

I'm in NoVA, which grocery store was this?

edit: My apologies if questions like this aren't kosher. Happy to remove this post if necessary.

Oh my goodness I wish no one had admitted there are now US leaks :( there seem to be none in central Ohio and that was a lot easier to deal with when there weren't any in the US at all.

I am not crazy enough to drive to Virginia or DC. However, I am crazy enough to look up overnight shipping prices. Ugh.

Still nothing in Toronto. And I've been looking!

If it turns up in early the GTA, PM me please :)

Same here! I've been calling up some bookstores asking around, but they're all pretty set with the 12th.

A couple of friends I know who work for bookstores have mentioned employees drooling over the arrival of boxes carrying all the store copies of ADWD, though...

At a guess, I'd think the place to look would be not bookstores, but rather supermarkets, gas stations, airport everything-and-the-kitchen-sink stores, and wherever else over there sells books that isn't a bookstore, where some random employee just stuck all the new books on the shelf without any concern or even awareness that such things as book embargoes exist...

House Sage

Posted Today, 01:19 PM

I'm in NoVA, which grocery store was this?

It was a Giant Supermarket in Fairfax County. They only had one copy left. I agree with Detepalm that non-bookstores that have a book section are your best bet. Bookstores are more than likely aware of publishers release dates, whereas grocery stores, drug stores, etc. probably aren't.

Interesting. I've never spent a lot of time studying the first four books' appendices, but skimming through them each always seemed to indicate the status quo as of the start of the book, not the end. I do know of one possible, minor exception involving Jorah in A Feast for Crows, but are there many others that I've missed? Or is Dance's appendix truly setting a new precedent?

Off the top of my head, I think that in A Clash of Kings, the appendix had Brienne as a member of Renly's Rainbow Guard, while she actually attained this rank during the course of the book - prior to that Renly had been saving it in the hope that Ser Barristan would join him. Of course, that scene is also where Brienne is introduced, so I don't know if it would be considered a spoiler.

Archived