The Logistics of Dancing with Dragons

You can use hotspotshield to hide your ip, but I would also use a program like adblock at the same time because it comes loaded with ads. I'm not sure if it's legal, depending on where you are, but this claims it's perfectly legal. If mods disagree with it delete this post :laugh:

With embargo like this technically it's only unlawful for a distributor to sell the book early, not for someone to receive it early. There really isn't anything they could do to you. Speaking from the US at least.

So I'm on "Shipping Soon" and have been since about noontimeish Eastern (US). Still no shipping/tracking info, however, and I live in Maine, so it's not like I'm right outside a big city. It still gives me an estimated delivery date of tomorrow, however. I've called Amazon US's customer service, but the reps I've talked to simply say that they don't have tracking info on it because it hasn't officially been released as a title yet? Which I know is pretty bull. When I mentioned that I knew of others who had ordered ADWD from Amazon at about the same time as me and had gotten tracking info, the rep said that she'd "flag my account" to look for tracking info.

Is it possible that it has indeed been shipped and the computer systems are just really far behind on updating, for whatever reason?

So I'm on "Shipping Soon" and have been since about noontimeish Eastern (US). Still no shipping/tracking info, however, and I live in Maine, so it's not like I'm right outside a big city. It still gives me an estimated delivery date of tomorrow, however. I've called Amazon US's customer service, but the reps I've talked to simply say that they don't have tracking info on it because it hasn't officially been released as a title yet? Which I know is pretty bull. When I mentioned that I knew of others who had ordered ADWD from Amazon at about the same time as me and had gotten tracking info, the rep said that she'd "flag my account" to look for tracking info.

Is it possible that it has indeed been shipped and the computer systems are just really far behind on updating, for whatever reason?

Yes. I didn't get shipping info until it hit a UPS hub, as it just told me it was generated in the US but had somehow already shipped...from the US.

Same boat I'm in right now. Can't cancel the order, they've already charged me, but have yet to ship it.

Same. You're also from southern Maine, correct? I'm wondering if the computer systems are just starting to shut down and it hasn't updated yet; someone mentioned getting a "shipped' notification hours after it had actually shipped, according to the tracking info...

Yes, it is possible and it happens often enough. It's also possible that, depending where you are, they can still get it shipped overnight. I'm in a similar situation - I got "Shipping Soon" at around 8:30 this morning, but they still have not shipped yet. Predicted delivery is still July 12th, though so I'm not worried. Amazon is generally quite good with this kind of thing. I've ordered computer games the day before release, selected their "release date shipping" preorder option (a $1 option they offer on video games - but not on books for some reason) and gotten it the next day without trouble. Amazon can get you stuff fast.

In this case, I got 2 Day shipping, which is what they said was needed to get the book on release day. So even though they have not given me tracking yet, I'm sure it will get there tomorrow.

Mya,

And at 3 and a 1/2 it's not like you can cut him loose at the pool. Can gradma or grandpa come and help?

;)

Mimi (grandma) will be with me, but it's not a pool, it's a pond...and Mommy needs to swim too. Sucks being 35.5 weeks pregnant in 90 degree heat. :P

Mine has been "Shipping Soon" since at least 9am this morning,and credit card charges pending as well. It still has a ETA of tomorrow so I'm not too worried. I've ordered a lot of release day items from them and they all made to my place very safe and on time.

And often the status on amazon.com would change sometime after it's actually out on the way to you. I'd start to worry if tomorrow morning it's still shipping soon or the delivery time changes.

Keep all our fingers crossed.

PS As I typed my status changes to "Shipped". :D

Date Time Location Event Details

July 11, 2011 01:33:01 PM Lexington KY US Shipment has left seller facility and is in transit

And now it's 4:50PM already. So don't worry too much and good luck on getting the book tomorrow!

Okay, thanks guys. I guess I will try to hold onto my sanity until tomorrow morning. Like I said, I'm in Maine, so the nearest distribution center to me is in PA, and I'm pretty sure that the nearest place UPS would reasonably fly stuff into is in Boston, a two-hour drive away (we have an airport in Portland, Maine, but it's dinktastic and I'm not sure whether or not it still takes freight).

The ETA charge makes me hopeful that it is indeed already on its way to me and it will track eventually, but in the meantime I guess I'll step away from my computer and go to the gym.

Just an FYI to anyone who still wants to order from Amazon. Amazon currently displays, for ADwD,

"Want to receive this the day it comes out?

Order it in the next 2 hours and 9 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. "

So, you all still have a couple more hours to order, if you want to do so, but I think One-Day shipping is expensive, though it is not too expensive with Prime.

Mimi (grandma) will be with me, but it's not a pool, it's a pond...and Mommy needs to swim too. Sucks being 35.5 weeks pregnant in 90 degree heat. :P

Yes. Yes it does. :) My girls were born in October and June respectively, and in Texas that still means 90+ degree weather for both.

My 4 1/2 year-old has dance class tomorrow morning and I'll have to entertain the 3 year-old unless I stick her in the Y's daycare for 45 minutes... And we have a French study playgroup tomorrow for the girls in the afternoon that I'm teaching (I taught French at their preschool last year.) Maybe I should get a French copy and read it aloud to them tomorrow. :D Then I have my pool league tomorrow night. It's gonna suck not getting to read the book at ALL tomorrow!

Same. You're also from southern Maine, correct? I'm wondering if the computer systems are just starting to shut down and it hasn't updated yet; someone mentioned getting a "shipped' notification hours after it had actually shipped, according to the tracking info...

Yeah, also in Southern Maine. And that's what I'm hoping for too. That it has been shipped but like other have said the information for one reason or another hasn't been updated. Amazon has yet to make a shipping estimate for me that was incorrect, so I hope they dont start now.

Well ADWD is out tomorrow so i'll be up and early for it, meaning i won't be visiting this forum till next week to avoid any spoilers :D

So enjoy your read and i look forward to reading your thoughts/opinions about it!

Cheerio

Archived