[ADWD Dany last chapter spoilers] Daenerys

abcd

From the description of the last chapter it looks like Dany has contracted the bloody flux (Pale Mare) by drinking the river water.

Considering the fact that we have not seen a cure for Pale Mare throught ADWD , will she be cured or will she go the way of Tyrion's Master?

Interesting. I read that not as the bloody flux, but as the result of the berries she ate that she shouldn't have. And, curiously, the berries seem to have then pushed along her menstrual period. Which Linda thinks Dany has, perhaps, never had since Rhaego, and which may be a sign that she's now no longer barren.

I find that unlikely, myself, that we would never have been told that Dany's periods had stopped entirely to this point... but what do I know?

Certainly, the novel shows that Dany is quite concerned about allegedly being barren -- it's why she refused to be examined prior to her marriage to Hizdar, for fear that it would be discovered.

The description of stools is very similar to the description given for Tyrions master and others with pale mare, I wonder why it is not clear where the blood comes from , I mean Dany should know that >.<....

One sentence she thinks it is the moons blood but later wonders why she got the moons blood when the moon is crescent.

The berries she ate were those they ate at the khalasar (acc to her), So poisonous berries might be of a low probability...On the contrary Tyrion mentions the infection in the river water so Pale Mare is the larger probability.

I thought it was pretty much established, that Dany (all Targaryens?) is immune to deceases, since Dany could not remember to have ever been ill. Also, she walked through and even touched some ill people without catching pale mare. I think her problems come just from the dirty water she drunk/stuff she ate.

No, Dany thinks they're ones that the Dothraki used.

"In the khalasar, they used berries like these to flavor roasts," she decided.

Saying it aloud made her more certain of it. Her belly rumbled, and Dany found herself picking berries with both hands and tossing them into her mouth.

An hour later, her stomach began to cramp so badly that she could not go on.

The causation is very clear.

The description of stools is very similar to the description given for Tyrions master and others with pale mare, I wonder why it is not clear where the blood comes from , I mean Dany should know that >.<....

One sentence she thinks it is the moons blood but later wonders why she got the moons blood when the moon is crescent.

Could she be miscarrying--could they be an abortifacient? And if so, would that be evidence for or against her barrenness? (Not sure if her infertility consists of not conceiving or of not being able to carry to term.)

Yeah, Dany appears to be pregnant. She herself dismisses te possibility, since she believes herself barren, but, well, unable to bear a live child != barren.

Perhaps we may expect another dead birth, which makes for interesting possibilities for her third child, which I suppose would correspond with third set of Undying prophecies, like Rhaego corresonded with the first and this hypothetical child with the second (second mount = Drogo, and second treason = Hizdahr, I suppose, but it would have to be established that his motive was gold, which doesn't seem to be the case).

No, Dany thinks they're ones that the Dothraki used.

The causation is very clear.

Once she was certain which way was south, she counted off her paces. The stream appeared at eight. Dany cupped her hands to drink. The water made her belly cramp, but cramps were easier to bear than thirst.

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water. When she closed her eyes at last, Dany did not know whether she would be strong enough to open them again

Moon blood, it’s only my moon blood, but she did not remember ever having

such a heavy flow. Could it be the water? If it was the water, she was doomed. She had to drink or die of thirst.

The causation is not clear tbh , It could have been berries but it cud be the water.

If its the berries then its just some food poisoning which can probably be cured but if its pale mare then I dont know.

As for targaryens not having any diseases, I will have to read through that part again just to see if there are any loop holes in that info.

I thought it was pretty clear the cause of her illness was the berries.

Great dramatic image of her w/ the dragon at the very end.

My complaint with the Dany arc is that the characters in Meereen, for the most part, just weren't that interesting.

I was really disappointed that Dany's chapters ended without meeting Tyrion (knowingly), Victorian, or Marwyn. It makes me wonder if GRRM really has completely solved the Mereense Knot or not.

I was really disappointed that Dany's chapters ended without meeting Tyrion (knowingly), Victorian, or Marwyn. It makes me wonder if GRRM really has completely solved the Mereense Knot or not.

That was also my first reaction when I read those particular spoilers - did he really crack the knot? I hadn't expected Victarion to not reach her at all in this book and only this brief meeting with Tyrion leaves us still very hungry for what we've wanted for a long time (or at least some of us) - Dany meeting people from Westeros (those we have followed from the first book, Quentyn is OK but doesn't really count that way).

It seems the next novel may still spend quite a lot of time in Meereen, and so Dany and co may only arrive in Westeros in book 7. Which makes me wonder, will she only arrive at the very end of the books (and promptly deal the death blow to the Others, in that case) or is this a sign that Martin will likely need an 8th book? If GRRM keeps to only 2 more books, then it looks like Dany will be in Westeros for only a small part of the whole series. That would be quite surprising to me, but maybe it is the plan for GRRM.

I don't think there's quite that much left to happen in Meereen-- I imagine the resolution there was something GRRM wanted to do in this book but ran out of space for. I can see events there wrapping up in 6-8 chapters, and all the characters there dispersing for their next storylines, which will take them (gradually, and probably not together) toward Westeros. I think the arrival of Dany and Tyrion in Westeros will be the major narrative turn (or one of several) at the end of The Winds of Winter.

I thought she was miscarrying when I read the scene. In the house of spirits by Isabelle Allende is a very similar description of a unusually period. I always thought it was the description of a miscarriage. Because of this when I read the Dany chapter my first thought was that she ist miscarrying and does not realize what happens.

In her last chapter, yeah, Dany is having a miscarriage. She misinterpreted Mirri's prophecy to mean that she couldn't conceive at all (rather than being unable to carry a child to term), and hasn't been using any protection with Daario. She's definitely been menstruating regularly since Rhaego-- what confuses her isn't that she's getting her period, but that it's so heavy and that it's happening at the beginning of the month instead of whenever it usually comes. And no, she doesn't have the flux, she's been eating poisonous plants (grass, the berries). This scene was pretty heartbreaking, imo.

In her last chapter, yeah, Dany is having a miscarriage. She misinterpreted Mirri's prophecy to mean that she couldn't conceive at all (rather than being unable to carry a child to term), and hasn't been using any protection with Daario. She's definitely been menstruating regularly since Rhaego-- what confuses her isn't that she's getting her period, but that it's so heavy and that it's happening at the beginning of the month instead of whenever it usually comes. And no, she doesn't have the flux, she's been eating poisonous plants (grass, the berries). This scene was pretty heartbreaking, imo.

Actually, she can't remember the last time she bled, but that only corroborates the idea that she had been pregnant and was miscarrying. (And I agree, it was truly sad.)

Have to read the chapter again. A miscarriage would be better than the bloody flux, I imagine. Although this would be rather bad as well, for her at least.

But I have to say, I'm not liking Daario, nor do I improve of their relationship.

I don't know if it's a miscarriage but at least one part of the Maz Duur's prophecy has come true ("the sun rising in the west and setting in the east" seems to refer to Quentyn), maybe the other parts came true when I wasn't paying attention and she can now have a kid?

I don't know if it's a miscarriage but at least one part of the Maz Duur's prophecy has come true ("the sun rising in the west and setting in the east" seems to refer to Quentyn), maybe the other parts came true when I wasn't paying attention and she can now have a kid?

Good catch. I never even considered that one.

("the sun rising in the west and setting in the east" seems to refer to Quentyn), maybe the other parts came true when I wasn't paying attention and she can now have a kid?

Good catch on Quentyn! I love that kind of thing--Birnam Wood and Dunsinane and all that ;)

Archived