[ADWD Dany last chapter spoilers] Daenerys

abcd

I thought Dany got Pale Mare, because the onset of the illness isn't immediate, but rather several hours to several days post-infection. She drank river water that was presumably tainted (and it gave her cramps too). The berries probably didn't help.

I figured that Pale Mare was such a shock to her body that she miscarried on account of it.

That could be correct--and now I'm wondering whether her "mount to dread" might be the Pale Mare. We've been thinking it's either Drogon or a lover or husband, but perhaps there's some significance in the disease having a horse name.

No, I still think that Dany's mount to dread is Drogon. For me, there have been too many allusions to Drogon being like Balerion come again to think it's anything but Drogon.

Another thing I just thought of: strong lower intestinal cramps can feel like light-to-medium contractions, so I'm even more convinced that Dany had Pale Mare. Maybe as a Targaryen she has a naturally higher core body temp and that makes her resistant to many diseases.

No, I still think that Dany's mount to dread is Drogon. For me, there have been too many allusions to Drogon being like Balerion come again to think it's anything but Drogon.

Ah, you're probably right. I'll take off my crackpot hat. ;)

From reading the last Dany chapter I also got the feeling she was having an early miscarriage. The mention of the menstrual flow "heavier than usual" and "at the wrong time" made me think that immediately.

I'm still in two minds about Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy, though. On one hand, I never thought it was the exact truth (that is, Dany only thought she was sterile because of what Mirri had said - and she would have no reason to doubt it because the only time she could have got pregnant after Rhaego died was when she slept with Daario in this book). On the other hand, it could be as it was mentioned here, what Mirri said really was the truth, and Dany being barren meant not being able to carry a pregnancy to term, instead of just not being able to get pregnant.

If you do, I will pick it up. I think it is RIGHT, that the mount to dread is the Pale Mare. the dragon to be the mount to love, finally (Jon, Jon...).

Jon has to be involved somehow though--hence the blue rose and "sweetness."

Sorry, this double posting thing is getting ridiculous. Board is freezing up on me a lot. (BTW is anybody else having problems? the message I get is that sql problems from my end)

I'm having that too. My posts aren't cloning themselves AFAIK, but I'm getting the SQL error.

Even though I'm starting to think the Meereen chapters are a waste, I'd also be pissed if Dany leaves it in TWOW with a simple, "This is not my place." We just spent a 1,000 pages with Meereen, Martin better have an idea how it makes Dany a better Queen.

Didn't the Yunkai already send the hostages back by means of a trebuchet? Or did I misinterpret Barristan's last chapter?

I think it's more likely they started slinging bodies of people that died of the Pale Mare into the city to get them dieing as well.

And yes, a lot of SQL's for me as well.

I was really disappointed that Dany's chapters ended without meeting Tyrion (knowingly), Victorian, or Marwyn. It makes me wonder if GRRM really has completely solved the Mereense Knot or not.

Same, I found the entire Eastern plot extremely disappointing. I simply don't see what purpose it serves at all in the grand story arc.

Same, I found the entire Eastern plot extremely disappointing. I simply don't see what purpose it serves at all in the grand story arc.
I think of all the plots Dany's is the one that suffers the most from not having the 5-year gap. Arya's training and Bran's training can be accelerated, Sansa doesn't need as much, but Dany's dragons can't go from 0 to OMG huge overnight.

I think the plan was that after 5 years Dany would be ready to invade. With full grown dragons, a city-state behind her, and allies from around the world. But we can't do that in one step now, so we have to see the slow meandering. It means Tyrion was due late anyway, as was Victarion.

It means that a lot of this was unplanned filler.

Dany's arc is interesting - mostly to me to show that she isn't a mary sue and she absolutely does not get everything she wants or just wins. But from a narrative point of view it's very disappointing to see such little progress to her and her dragons. At least she's finally ridden one.

About the 5-year-gap-that-has-not-been-but-yet-tries-to-be, how much time actually flies through Feast and Dance? For example, can anyone guess how long has it been since Joff wedding? To me it seems as quite some time, considering all the voyages through half the world. Could it have been a whole year? Year and a half maybe?

It's at least one full year. It's probably closer to 2 years. I say that it's at least one because we know Arya ages a year in this time, but chances are it's quite a while.

Though...hmm. One way to indicate how long it's been is how long the siege of Raventree has been going on, no? And that was what, 6 months only?

It's at least one full year. It's probably closer to 2 years. I say that it's at least one because we know Arya ages a year in this time, but chances are it's quite a while.

Though...hmm. One way to indicate how long it's been is how long the siege of Raventree has been going on, no? And that was what, 6 months only?

Wasn't Arya already ahead of the rest of the timeline in AFFC though? And it seems like that lead has grown even more in ADWD. Unless we don't her from her again for quite a while at some point I'm not sure how she's going to match up with everyone else again.

Archived