[ADwD Spoilers] Is Jon handsome?

jurble

I'm surprised so many people still ship them. I used to think they'd have great chemistry (before aDwD), but now... nah, Dany's more likely to fall for the Darkstar of the night than for Jon. I don't want them together and I don't see how Dany's entitlement, "dragon temper", predisposition to self-delusion and narrow-mindedness will work with Jon's cold, bitter realism, distaste for unnecessary flashiness and pragmatism. Jon's raised as a Stark, in the North, so he likes simple things and simple people. Dany, on the other hand, likes flamboyance. If someone forces them to marry (I don't see that happening, ever, but let's assume for a moment it can happen), I'm sure they'll work out and learn to love each other, the way Ned and Catelyn did. But I don't see them looking beyond their differences on their own and seeing each other in a romantic way. A political alliance is possible, but romantic relationship - I just don't see it (or want to) after aDwD.

But who knows, GRRM enjoys those "Beauty and the Beast" stories, so it may happen. I just can;t see it last.

btw And, of course, this thread has turned into a "Let's ship Jon" thread. Just for the record, I prefer Jon x Dany to Jon x brother of the Night's Watch. :lol:

nah, Dany's more likely to fall for the Darkstar of the night than for Jon. I don't want them together and I don't see how Dany's entitlement, "dragon temper", predisposition to self-delusion and narrow-mindedness will work with Jon's cold, bitter realism, distaste for unnecessary flashiness and pragmatism. Jon's raised as a Stark, in the North, so he likes simple things and simple people. Dany, on the other hand, likes flamboyance. If someone forces them to marry (I don't see that happening, ever, but let's assume for a moment it can happen), I'm sure they'll work out and learn to love each other, the way Ned and Catelyn did. But I don't see them looking beyond their differences on their own and seeing each other in a romantic way. A political alliance is possible, but romantic relationship - I just don't see it (or want to) after aDwD.

As for that, I have to agree :agree: they are just too different, in a non-reconciliable way :ack: If they are forced to make this kind of alliance, maybe they will end being no more than companions, and looking for a paramour each... and, of course, this would be the perfect way for Jon to have another remorse-moment 'Oh, gods, I'm cheating' :bawl:

I'm convinced the only way Jon gets together with Dany is if he doesnt know he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. We, the readers, might know that he is but he won't since I could never see him consciously doing his aunt. A "happy" conclusion tinged with incest. Perhaps that is what George meant by the ending being bittersweet :P

I totally see Jon being :ack: at getting it on with his aunt. I really don't want Jon and Dany to get together during the series, but if they do, it would be great if they fall in love, then Jon finds out she's his aunt, and he returns to the NW rather than staying in an incestuous relationship. Dany would be completely confused, too, since she'd love to hop on the incest train.

Bitches love Lord Commanders. Plus he has an albino direwolf, that's the Westeros equivalent of rolling up in some awesome limited edition sportscar. And a Valyrian steel sword, which is like having a watch that shoots lasers. Plus he cut Janos Slynt's head off. He's like if James Bond killed Hitler.

All this just leads to the obvious, that the girls flirt with Jon to make Sam jealous. Nevermind that Sam's not around half the time, they know he's gonna hear about it and finally make his move on them, just as they've dreamed.

LOL too good!!

Yeah, she never would look twice a bastard-born hottie, just the same as she would never screw a dyed-haired golden-toothed fancy sellsword... Oh, wait :worried:

Oh she would , she would, Im pretty sure about that, also Im pretty sure that Jon would go like ˝Meh, nothing special this one,what is she called? Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of bla bla, titles titles,, Val is hotter˝, that would be pretty damn hillarious after all that crap about her beeing the most beautiful woman in the world :lol:

I totally see Jon being :ack: at getting it on with his aunt. I really don't want Jon and Dany to get together during the series, but if they do, it would be great if they fall in love, then Jon finds out she's his aunt, and he returns to the NW rather than staying in an incestuous relationship. Dany would be completely confused, too, since she'd love to hop on the incest train.

The discovery of him being a Targaryen would be a perfect anagnorisis, you know, just like in King Oedipus. He could also get her pregnant for a bigger dramatic effect :lol: Then he'd have to choose between going to the wall and having a bastard, or marrying his aunt. Seriously though, I can definitely see them happening.

Neither of them are ugly though so that doesn't work. Unless Jon comes back very ugly from his knife adventure. It'd be a mismatched couple romance, which is a very different thing.

Ok, maybe that was a bad metaphor - I didn't mean that they're "Beauty and the beast" look-wise. I meant that GRRM likes stories about love between people who seemingly have nothing (or very little) in common, only to discover that there are things they both value in each other.

btw (this is going extremely out of topic, but still) I find it interesting that "beauty and the beast" is commonly regarded as a story about being able to love someone despite his physical appearance. At first glance it is that, of course, but in the end the beast did turn into a prince, didn't he? For me, his "beastliness" was only a metaphorical, outward manifestation of his inner self in the beginning a.k.a. the lack of compassion, the meanness, the cruelty, etc. The difference in looks was just the difference in moral standing. I think it's a story not about looking beyond physical appearance, but looking beyond first impressions about someone's personality, about redemption, change and learning to understand someone who's different.

Back on topic: This is my favorite fanart of Jon. If his face was a little thinner and his hair was straight and short (I know almost every man in westeros has long hair, but I can't imagine Jon with long hair), this'd be how I see him while I read.

The discovery of him being a Targaryen would be a perfect anagnorisis, you know, just like in King Oedipus. He could also get her pregnant for a bigger dramatic effect :lol: Then he'd have to choose between going to the wall and having a bastard, or marrying his aunt. Seriously though, I can definitely see them happening.

I like the idea of them getting married with Jon not knowing; I used to think that if they had a relationship it would have to be after he found out, otherwise he'd be seen as too lowborn for her...but now I'm thinking he could end up King of the North and would then be a good strategic marriage for her. And yeah, he probably would not be happy about it when he did find out...

Thought he was an ordinary bloke until I saw this illustration of him on George's website within the sample ADWD chapter: http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

That's not just pretty, that's gorgeous! And it's an illustration "approved" by George which is to say that George thinks he's that handsome...

I was disappointed by the casting for him in the series. Kit looks like a girl, not a future Lord Commander. Oh well.

Did this artist draw Jon Snow looking like Christian Bale circa Velvet Goldmine on purpose?

. . .it all makes sense now. R + L = Batman

I like the idea of them getting married with Jon not knowing; I used to think that if they had a relationship it would have to be after he found out, otherwise he'd be seen as too lowborn for her...but now I'm thinking he could end up King of the North and would then be a good strategic marriage for her. And yeah, he probably would not be happy about it when he did find out...

Assuming he's freed from his vows and survives, I think Jon'd have to be the biggest imbecile in the world to become the King in the North (just for the record, Robb's one of my top 10 favorite characters... but accepting the kingship was mental and the singe worst political decision that he could have taken at the time). With no resources, Winter and an army of undeads coming, and plenty of people lusting after the throne of united Westeros, it's a suicide. He can't afford to defend the North from both the north and the south. Even if he had resources, he wouldn't have enough people to guard the whole continent alone, and his kingdom would be the first to fall, while the king/queen on the iron throne would pout about him being a traitor and a rebel. This King in the North thing'd better die with Robb.

I can´t stand is too hard, but Kid Harrington does not look like the Jon I imagined. His face is broad and not narrow; his hair is almost black and not brown. If I remember right, that he has the wrong eye color. His hair is curly and I always thought Jon has straight hair. And Kids body composition is not like the description in the books.

Looks like Kit lost some weight for the second season. He looks a bit leaner on the recent comic con pics.

Nevermind his curls, he doesn't look at all like the Jon I pictured in the books, but he portrays an excellent Jon. Kit is more handsome than Jon in the books though.

And he's read the books, which is kudos for Kit.

Just wondering what will go through his mind reading Jon chapter 13 in Dance.

What age is Jon in the books now? 18? He was born in 283 but I have no idea which year we are atm.

(Edit: just found out we're in 300 still)

BTW I think Jon and Dany have more in common still, they both care for their people, even if those people aren't really theirs. That's quite royal of both of them, I think.

Looks like Kit lost some weight for the second season. He looks a bit leaner on the recent comic con pics.

I dont think his weight has changed at all. I just think that the NW costumes add about 20 lbs to everyone's figure. He looks amaaaaaaazing at Comic Con. :drool:

And he's read the books, which is kudos for Kit.

Yay! And he knows about R+L=J. He might even browse the forums here.

Just wondering what will go through his mind reading Jon chapter 13 in Dance.

I can't even imagine reading a book as an actor playing the character. It's so meta. But if he's smart he'll pay attention to the prophecies to ease his mind. That's what all of us are doing, anyway.

My version of Jon

http://silent-my-voice.deviantart.com/#/d41eues

I think his handsomeness is in the eye of the beholder. I mean to someone who prefers his type of features(long faced, dark hair w/e) There's beauty in most kinds of features if you look for it. Lyanna was described as being beautiful, and I think some people probably thought she was gorgeous because they had a preference for her type of prettiness. This is different from someone like Cersei, who is classicly beautiful and thought attractive by pretty much everyone. Jon is probably an average to above average looking guy, when it comes to a general consensus, but some might consider him very or handsome and some consider him nothing special. Personality also has a lot to do with it, but this is just for comparing looks.

It may be a silly question, but a fun one.

So, the Stark men are described differently. Brandon is described as better looking than Ned (no word on Benjen). Jon looks like a Stark so it's easy for people to assume he is Ned's. Lyanna was described as an unsurpassed beauty, but as a child she resembled Arya. Arya is not described as being a beauty like her (more Tully-esque) sister, but pretty when she's cleaned up and dressed up. So Starks seem to range from "plain" (Ned) to handsome/beautiful (Brandon/Lyanna). What defines their "Stark looks" is dark hair, grey eyes and long faces. My guess, based on others' reactions, is that Jon's not homely but not drop dead gorgeous. If he favors his (theorized biological) father and mother, he may grow up to to be quite handsome. If he favors (his presumed biological uncle) Ned, he'll be more plain looking.

Ultimately, Jon has a lot going for him that could make him attractive and his physical appearance being only part of the package. He's smart, has natural leadership abilities beyond his years (he's not perfect though and he's still just a teenager which comes out at times), seems to be concerned about trying to do what is right (although that's a matter of opinion) and at least up to the moment of the assassination attempt, he was powerful. He is believed to be the son of Eddard Stark, even if a bastard, that counts for something at least in the North - which is why Stannis wanted to legitimize Jon to have a Stark (and son of Eddard) on his side.

For women who are looking beyond what is skin deep, Jon is very attractive.

Ultimately, Jon has a lot going for him that could make him attractive and his physical appearance being only part of the package. He's smart, has natural leadership abilities beyond his years (he's not perfect though and he's still just a teenager which comes out at times), seems to be concerned about trying to do what is right (although that's a matter of opinion) and at least up to the moment of the assassination attempt, he was powerful. He is believed to be the son of Eddard Stark, even if a bastard, that counts for something at least in the North - which is why Stannis wanted to legitimize Jon to have a Stark (and son of Eddard) on his side.

It's curious how the Starks had managed to earn the (at least) respect of their people in the North (as big as one half of the Seven Kingdoms, don't forget that) and even the free folk... They can hate them or be afraid of them, but they respect them. Being a Stark north of the Neck and to far north of the Wall seems like being some kind of demigod. And right now Jon is the only living 'Stark' (officially, I mean). Hell, that's hot, yes :blushing:

Oh she would , she would, Im pretty sure about that, also Im pretty sure that Jon would go like ˝Meh, nothing special this one,what is she called? Daenerys Targaryen, Mother of bla bla, titles titles, Val is hotter˝, that would be pretty damn hillarious after all that crap about her beeing the most beautiful woman in the world :lol:

Love it :lmao: "Blood of the what? Has she got wings? Never mind, I'll pass, thank you" :lmao:

Archived