[ADwD Spoilers] Is Jon handsome?

jurble

I think Jon's attractiveness is left vague so the reader can decide how Jon looks in their mind. He has the long face of the Starks, but a long face doesn't have to automatically mean an unattractive face, it's just a description of his face shape. Any shape face can be beautiful depending on the proportions and symmetry of the other features on it. The long face seems to be taken as a negative trait because Ned wasn't particularly attractive and Arya was called horseface. However both Lyanna and Brandon were considered attractive, although I can't remember if Cat described Brandon as having a long face or not. Lyanna must have had this feature since Arya is often said to look like her. Bran even mistakes Lyanna for Arya when she was young. However Martin never refers to Lyanna as anything less than physically beautiful.

If Rhaegar is Jon's biological father it has very little bearing on his features, Jon definitely took after the Stark half of his bloodline physically. Several characters mention he has the Stark look, and two have commented that he looks like Ned. Stannis says Jon has his father's look and Cersei makes the same observation about Jon in AFFC. Cat does consider Ned to be plain, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Jon couldn't be a more attractive version and still look like him. He's not Ned's twin, but if he looks enough like Ned it could be that he is also plain like Ned.

In Arya's case, I believe she is suffering from ugly duckling syndrome. The nine year old Arya may not have seemed like much to others but I'm starting to think this was due to the awkwardness of youth and that Arya will grow up to be as beautiful as her aunt. After the first book, Arya has not been called anything but pretty, unless of course someone is thinking about her during that time period during A Game of Thrones. The woman that had her serving wenches dress Arya up as proper lady when she was still with Gendry and Beric's group caller her pretty, and the kindly old man mentions her looks twice. He tells Arya soon after she gets to the house of black and white that they can make her a courtesan if she desires and men will praise her beauty. He makes another comment about Arya's looks in her last chapter in Dance when he says this time she should have a pretty face, one as pretty as her own.

We haven't had anyone describe Jon since he was fourteen and he's never been concerned in his own POV about how he looked. Ygritte seemed to be all over him, Alys Karstark seemed taken with him and Val seems to have a crush on him and if the generally believed theory of his parentage is true than his father was Jon Connington's beautiful silver prince who even the stuck up snob cercei thought was really handsome and his mother was a woman beautiful enough to start a war over and was the Westeros version of Helen of Troy, so beautiful that even to this day Robert baratheon still can't forget about her.

Jon has zero gaydar and not much imagination. He doesn't seem to understand why the others think it's strange for him to take Satin as a squire. He could see two brothers of the watch clasping hands and staring passionately into each other's eyes, and think something like "Good! Morale is up among the troops!"

Satin has been letting the fires in Jon's room go out on purpose.

It is known.

Moreover, there has to be other men who ain't too bad on the eyes. You don't see Val or Alys flirting with Satin, do you?

Satin is the guy who found Lace on the wall for Alys.

I think that any woman who spends .005 seconds with him knows that to flirt with him is barking up the wrong tree.

Can anyone tell me which page that is, where Satin finds lace? Somehow I completely missed that.

BTW maybe the Jon-Satin thing is just a little shadowing from Rhaegar who didn't seem to bother to spend time with a gay person like Jon Connington either.

Can anyone tell me which page that is, where Satin finds lace? Somehow I completely missed that.

BTW maybe the Jon-Satin thing is just a little shadowing from Rhaegar who didn't seem to bother to spend time with a gay person like Jon Connington either.

It's in Jon's chapter where Alys marries the Wildling.

Re: your second point, possibly, but I don't think the two circumstances are entirely equal. Satin is publicly known as a former prostitute, whereas I always got the feeling Connington is deep within the closet.

This thread is a hysterical read. ^_^

You know, despite the fact that Jon's probably my favorite ASOIAF character, I've never given much thought to his physical appearance beyond the general description provided in AGOT. I have a real weakness for his type of heroic personality, so there's never been much question that I'd be interested in the guy, lol. However, in another thread, I likened Jon to Aragorn as written in Appendix A: "His ways were hard and long, and he became somewhat grim to look upon, unless he chanced to smile..." A cold, stern man who nevertheless is capable of great warmth and seems to others worthy of honor.

Jon, I think, is charismatic. Or, rather, he can be when he isn't wielding his sarcasm like he does Longclaw and giving people the impression that they've been dumped naked in the middle of Antarctica during a winter blizzard. Even Melisandre feels so.

She walked as close to Jon Snow as she dared, close enough to feel the mistrust pouring off him like a black fog.
He does not love me, will never love me, but he will make use of me. Well and good.

And Jon wouldn't be nearly so effective at rallying the troops, IMO, as with the dregs of the NW in ASOS and the wildlings in ADWD, if he weren't able to grab your attention and hold it. So, I figure Jon's looks are at least striking, if not handsome or beautiful, when he's in the right mood. Since he's still young and isn't imposingly tall or wide. No doubt his dramatic, high contrast wardrobe of all black helps.

Now, Jon being totally oblivious to his effect, positive or negative, on others unless he's actively attempting to sway people's emotions, I can believe, given that this kind of selective blindness is pretty much par for the course when it comes to heroes, lol. Most heroes seem to accumulate a string of infatuated potential romantic interests regardless of whether the attraction is mutual or not, recognized as such or not. Jon doesn't strike me as an exception here, what with Sam, Gilly, Ygritte, Val, Melisandre, Zei, Satin, Alys Karstark, Wun Wun, half the new recruits at Castle Black, etc., etc. That's quite a lot of admirers for a guy who's been stuck on the Wall or in the frozen wilds of the far north since he was fourteen. :laugh:

edit: BBCode formatting

Yep, TrueMetis, Orell's eagle claws Jon's left eye with his sharp talons in ASOS. Likely the wound's three narrow furrows that cut diagonally from the upper cheek, on the bone, across the eyelid to the brow above the nose. Frankly, I imagine the scar lends Jon a somewhat dangerous, rakish air that only enhances his attractiveness to folks who seek a little thrill (e.g. Dany). Tyrion probably wishes his facial scars were as flattering!

Add the very noticeable Valyrian steel strapped to Jon's back, the raven on his shoulder that comes flying when he calls, and his huge albino direwolf, silent and impressive as hell, all black and white with touches of red, well... The overall effect is striking. :laugh:

Plus, Jon's a fit young man capable of intense focus and drive. He's most often described as being cold, too. That may be intimidating or off-putting to many, but likely wakes in many others an irresistible urge to nettle Jon until he responds with heated passion. A certain persistent curiosity, if you will, about whether he feels any warmer emotions, perhaps for a special someone...? Pretty sure that's a common romantic fantasy, lol. And, presuming you win Jon's affections, he's certain to be loyal and true to you for as long you live, if not for years after your death. Again, intense and honorable to a fault.

Really, it's not at all surprising to me that people might find Jon attractive. I doubt he's classically handsome or stunningly beautiful, but his forceful presence and an appearance that catches the eye make him hard to ignore or forget. YMMV, of course. :blush:

We haven't had anyone describe Jon since he was fourteen and he's never been concerned in his own POV about how he looked.

Actually, Melisandre briefly describes him. She also notes his long face which to me signifies that if anything stands out about him, it's that. I imagine Jon must have a pretty big chin.

But your point is well taken -- before Melisandre came around, he hasn't had another POV to describe him since Tyrion back in AGoT when the latter visited the Wall. There's always been Sam Tarly but he's never been of much use because he doesn't tend to note much about Jon.

Actually, Melisandre briefly describes him. She also notes his long face which to me signifies that if anything stands out about him, it's that. I imagine Jon must have a pretty big chin.

A long face doesn't necessarily imply a chin like Jay Leno's. ;) Length of face could be from a high forehead, long nose, or narrowness through the temples and cheekbones: anything that makes for a longer-than-average oval shape. I tried to find some examples and came up with Keanu Reeves. Make of that what you will.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the illustration? It's like the most generic-looking jock hottie ever. If anything, I think it's kind of effeminate. And y'all are crazy. Kit Harrington is pure sex. I was barely listening during his scenes because I was just goggling at him the entire time.

A long face doesn't necessarily imply a chin like Jay Leno's. ;) Length of face could be from a high forehead, long nose, or narrowness through the temples and cheekbones: anything that makes for a longer-than-average oval shape. I tried to find some examples and came up with Keanu Reeves. Make of that what you will.

Yes, Keanu Reeves, certainly Pic

Some other famous faces that I would describe as long:

Richard Gere: Pic

Hugh Laurie: Pic

Ryan Reynolds: Pic

John Hamm: Pic

Ben Affleck: Pic

Pierce Brosnan: Pic

James Stewart: Pic

Alan Rickman: Pic

I think Jon is probably sexy more than classically handsome. He's dark, Solemn, silent, sensitive, strong, with a good build and a longer than normal sword. What's not to like. :smoking:

p.s. I enjoyed making this post :drool:

Archived