Who will kill Darrio?

Spoony

Victarion the brute is infinitely more deserving of hate than is Daario the dandy.

Which is exactly why GRRM could pair Dany and Victarion for a book, because it will be shocking, make people mad, and we will read pages and pages of their sexual escapades as they sail east to go west or whatever.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Dany doesn't like the soft-sentive guys. she tends to go for the violent jerks. I don't see her breaking that pattern anytime soon.

I thought Victarion was a refreshing character in ADWD, he was straight-forward and it was darkly humorous. I think he will be done in by Euron at some point, and not some minor Essos character, as the whole buildup of Victarion is about Euron.

As to morality, I try to keep a context the world of ASOFAI, which has about the same morality as Dark Ages Europe. Sure Victarion is immoral, but practically everyone is to some degree, he just gets some screentime. Tyrion himself is no saint and has an ugly side.

The fine line between civilization and savagery is about 3 days without aid, food, and water. At least that was what it was in New Orleans for Katrina. People act nice to each other when they are amused and have food in their bellies. Not so much when resources are scarce. Its our animal nature.

I am not condoning awful behavior, but it is a truth about humanity, they are apt to be terrible to each other for any reason.

For the story to progress I think it is safe to assume that Darrio is going to need to meet some sort of end.

I also think that George is the sort of writer who has a gruesome end planned out for this character in order to surprise readers, and for the sake of the stories dramatic story arc.

After reading dance I decided that one of the most effective ways that George can introduce Victarion to Dany will be for Victarion to murder Darrio to death at some point.

I don't think this would endear him to her at all, but I do think it would be effective story-telling.

I am also a little interested in how good of a fighter Darrio is. Danny seems to hold him in high esteem, but we have never actually seen if the guy is anything more than a peacock.

My guess is that Victarion is going to easily wipe the floor with Darrio during one of Dany's POVs, showcasing not only a certain amount of narrative brutality, but also Dany's shock that Darrio wasn't nearly as formidable as she thought he was.

Any thoughts? Agreements? Counter-speculations?

I don't like or dislike Daario. He serves a purpose, to show that Dany is a young woman with desires and is lonely, in over her head, and looking for release and escape. She knows Daario is bad for her for a variety of reasons, but he's an excellent distraction from her troubles. I don't see any grand duel between Victarion and Daario for the fair lady's hand. I just don't think Daario is that important to the grand scheme of things. If he's killed off off-page, it wouldn't bother me at all.

As for Victarion, I realize he has his fans here, but I find him contemptible... entertaining, but contemptible. I can't imagine any good coming of a Victarion alliance or ...ew... more with Dany. Despite her failures and mistakes, Dany's basically a good person who means well. Vicatarion thinks he's being a humanitarian for freeing the slaves before he slashes their throats or leaves them in a burning boat to burn/drown. I have a feeling Victarian's "reward" will be something of a very different and more charbroil-y nature than he thinks.

Personally, I hope that Daario is quite dead, one of the heads that the moronic Yunkai throw against the walls of Mereen.

While nothing against the Daario character, his death will embolden Dany against the Slavers, and compel her against the villains of Yunkai. there is no reason for the Yunkai to spare him. it is one less character, and one more reason to get Dany to Westeros and ADVANCE THE PLOT.

the mereenese knot is a lot of pieces. daario's death will hopefully unravel one of them.

I have a question here, concerning Daario and also that funny guy who is of the night: Did GRRM ever elaborate if he truly expected us to think those guys were just awesome, or did he put them in the series for comic relief? I never knew they were so generally hated before I joined the forums, but I never liked them either, or found them believable characters in any way. I don't really hate Daario, but I don't know why, somehow I am looking forward to see him meet his untimely end. I am just wondering, especially because I don't think the Meereen or the Dorne plot were examples of his best writing. So did he deliberately go and put in some joke characters?

You know why people like me enjoy and like the Victarion chapters? Whatever his motivations, he manages to move the plot forward in a straightforward manner. Unlike the other characters who wallow in their self-doubt and angst, Victarion knows what he wants and he takes it. There is no pity-party with Victarion. Moreover, he actually adds a sense of excitement to the books. .

Victarion is always having a pity party. In fact his whole quest to Dany is one big pity party: "On poor me, I had to kill my wife because my evil brother Euron slept with her and he's always been a bully, but I'm gonna show him...." On and on and on. In fact, all the Ironborn are whiners in my view, and not much above the level of common thugs.

Who will kill Daario? George RR Martin will. At least I hope he will. Honestly I don't care if he's on the catapult, or if its jorah or victarion or the wise masters of yunkia, but I sincerely hope he dies. I've yet to see Daario do one interesting thing, nor does he have any background. Literally all he does is boast and act like a tool.

When George was writing these books I wonder if he originally planned for Dany's post drogo lover to be an illiterate sellsword who looks like someone's bad Halloween pirate costume, or if he needed a dude to be filler.

Who will kill Daario? George RR Martin will. At least I hope he will. Honestly I don't care if he's on the catapult, or if its jorah or victarion or the wise masters of yunkia, but I sincerely hope he dies. I've yet to see Daario do one interesting thing, nor does he have any background. Literally all he does is boast and act like a tool.

When George was writing these books I wonder if he originally planned for Dany's post drogo lover to be an illiterate sellsword who looks like someone's bad Halloween pirate costume, or if he needed a dude to be filler.

He needed someone to act as filler yeah, but Daario does seem to have had a positive impact on Dany regardless of his one dimensional role. In my mind, Daario would be a great person to survive the mess. He just doesn't need to die. Dany could leave him in some supervisory role back in Meereen helping to keep the peace there. Leave him on good terms and be done with it.

I know the consensus seems to be that Dany will hate Victarion (assuming she makes it back to Meereen, and he makes it there alive), but I get the feeling, based on her reasoning for rejecting Quentyn, that that won't be the case at all. Think about it... She didn't like Quentyn because he was basically a little boy who didn't have any swords to offer her. Had they wed, Dany likely would've had to protect him, rather than vice-versa.

But Victarion, on the other hand, is a large and imposing man by all accounts, not a meek little boy. He's a seasoned, battle-hardened warrior, and is traveling with the Iron Fleet in tow, rather than lying about his identity and sneaking around with sellswords. He's basically everything Quentyn wasn't. So, if Dany was being truthful when she rejected Quentyn, she SHOULD love Victarion. He was even freeing slaves in her name, which is bound to score him some brownie points.

However, in one of Barristan's chapters he claims that if Gerris Drinkwater had been the suitor, Dany probably would've married him because he was much more handsome than Quentyn. If that's the truth of it, she might not go for Victarion after all, because I don't ever remember him as being described as particularly handsome. But, I somehow get the feeling that if he can break the siege, Dany won't give a shit about what he looks like.

As for Daario, I have a feeling the slavers will kill him. He's already in their clutches, and by the time Victarion arrives, he'll probably be long dead.

I know the consensus seems to be that Dany will hate Victarion (assuming she makes it back to Meereen, and he makes it there alive), but I get the feeling, based on her reasoning for rejecting Quentyn, that that won't be the case at all. Think about it... She didn't like Quentyn because he was basically a little boy who didn't have any swords to offer her. Had they wed, Dany likely would've had to protect him, rather than vice-versa.

But Victarion, on the other hand, is a large and imposing man by all accounts, not a meek little boy. He's a seasoned, battle-hardened warrior, and is traveling with the Iron Fleet in tow, rather than lying about his identity and sneaking around with sellswords. He's basically everything Quentyn wasn't. So, if Dany was being truthful when she rejected Quentyn, she SHOULD love Victarion. He was even freeing slaves in her name, which is bound to score him some brownie points.

However, in one of Barristan's chapters he claims that if Gerris Drinkwater had been the suitor, Dany probably would've married him because he was much more handsome than Quentyn. If that's the truth of it, she might not go for Victarion after all, because I don't ever remember him as being described as particularly handsome. But, I somehow get the feeling that if he can break the siege, Dany won't give a shit about what he looks like.

As for Daario, I have a feeling the slavers will kill him. He's already in their clutches, and by the time Victarion arrives, he'll probably be long dead.

I agree. I think Dany could end up liking Vic. About how handsome he is, I think he is fine looking, it seemed to me that the Greyjoy family has quite alright looking men. Theon was supposed to be really handsome, and if I remember correctly Euron as well (creepy but still handsome). I think Vic would be more Drogo type. I actually never thought that Drogo is handsome, it is just he is a warrior, with a lot of power, similar to Vic. And I think if Dany could have loved Drogo despite being a savage, and she could love Daario despite the fact that he is extremly immoral and basically offered an RW, I think she won't have problem with the Ironborne way as long as they support her.

Honestly I don't think the Ironborne are worse than the Dothraki or her sellswords.

I am not sure about Daario though, I think it would be too easy to dispatch him like that. It seemed to me that at the last Dany chapter she actually sort of emreced him and his type of thinking more. So I guess at least his death would have some kind of consequences in reflect to Dany. For example whoever kills him, very likely will wake the dragon. Especially now that Dany embraced "fire and blood". So I don1t think the Daario storyline ended just like that wether he is alive or dead.

And imagine that he gets killed while Dany is still in love with him (because she still does). You can hear that till the end of the last book. (Just like in Jon's case, he constantly remembers Ygritte), and in that case Daario will never be forgotten.

I've thought about it, because I hate Daario, and I think the best way for him to go and the one that makes the most sense is Jorah.

Both are with the Yunkish armies in the same location, Daario is a flamboyant tool that will most likely try to brag about bedding Dany at some point, and we all know how Jorah will react to that haha.

Plus, there's something poetic about Dany's spurned lover who is actually in love with her defeating her chosen lover who doesn't give a shit about her.

I've thought about it, because I hate Daario, and I think the best way for him to go and the one that makes the most sense is Jorah.

Both are with the Yunkish armies in the same location, Daario is a flamboyant tool that will most likely try to brag about bedding Dany at some point, and we all know how Jorah will react to that haha.

Plus, there's something poetic about Dany's spurned lover who is actually in love with her defeating her chosen lover who doesn't give a shit about her.

Hrm... I actually think that Daario does love/care for Daenerys, perhaps more than she does him. He gets quite jealous of her around other men. He seems genuinely hurt that Dany has decided to marry and put him aside. It could be simply arrogance I suppose, that she wants someone besides him, but to me it reads more like he's really in love with her. As for Daenerys... on her end it reads more like lust/puppy love. Which is accurate since she is all of 15-16. She has a huge amount of lust for Daario, absolutely LOOOOVES fucking Daario, loves the freedom he represents, but every time she thinks of Daario as a person, it's with fear, loathing, and mistrust. I don't think she loves him, really. Her desire for him is almost crippling and goes against all she holds to be right and good. But that's what hormones do. Like Jon/Ygritte she just can't stop. Comparing Jorah and Daario in book 3 it seems to me that Daenerys has a lot of love, but no desire for the one, and a lot of desire, but no love for the other. She even thought perhaps a solution would be to marry both of them - together they might be someone Daenerys would actually want in a husband... apart either is inadequate.

Also I don't think Jorah should kill Daario, because if he did Daenerys would be extremely pissed and never accept him back to her service (something I very much wish to happen). It would be the ultimate sign to her that Jorah is still not to be trusted, if he's taking it upon himself to murder all her lovers! However.. if Jorah beat the shit out of Daario but left him alive, well I wouldn't mind that at all hahaha... :devil:

Hrm... I actually think that Daario does love/care for Daenerys, perhaps more than she does him. He gets quite jealous of her around other men. He seems genuinely hurt that Dany has decided to marry and put him aside. It could be simply arrogance I suppose, that she wants someone besides him, but to me it reads more like he's really in love with her. As for Daenerys... on her end it reads more like lust/puppy love. Which is accurate since she is all of 15-16. She has a huge amount of lust for Daario, absolutely LOOOOVES fucking Daario, loves the freedom he represents, but every time she thinks of Daario as a person, it's with fear, loathing, and mistrust. I don't think she loves him, really. Her desire for him is almost crippling and goes against all she holds to be right and good. But that's what hormones do. Like Jon/Ygritte she just can't stop. Comparing Jorah and Daario in book 3 it seems to me that Daenerys has a lot of love, but no desire for the one, and a lot of desire, but no love for the other. She even thought perhaps a solution would be to marry both of them - together they might be someone Daenerys would actually want in a husband... apart either is inadequate.

Also I don't think Jorah should kill Daario, because if he did Daenerys would be extremely pissed and never accept him back to her service (something I very much wish to happen). It would be the ultimate sign to her that Jorah is still not to be trusted, if he's taking it upon himself to murder all her lovers! However.. if Jorah beat the shit out of Daario but left him alive, well I wouldn't mind that at all hahaha... :devil:

haha true, very good point. He (and by extension us as readers), would be better off just beating the crap out of Daario so he can get back to Dany.

I was more going on Dany's own thoughts that Daario wouldn't care for her if she wasn't the queen, and the fact that everything about Daario screams "DONT TRUST ME!!!!".

I also agree about the comparisons between Dany/Daario and Jon/Ygritte. There are a lot of similarities, the only difference is that Ygritte is given a personality and her own set of dreams and opinions (George, take note, this makes her human) while Daario is given nothing but a suggestive sword hilt and a gleaming golden tooth.

This was probably said before in another post, but maybe Jorah killing Daario could be the "treason for love"? (out of jealousy)

---

I honestly don't care about how he dies as long as he does. I despise his character, from his looks to his... personality... thing. In fact one of the reasons I dislike Daenerys now is because of how she wants him, which could only be comparable to a possible Jon - Harma Dogshead (as a wight) affair, where they spend time impaling dogs together. Honestly, the descriptions of Dany's lust for Daario are more difficult to read than the Reek chapters.

Archived