[Book Spoilers] Will the impact of the RW be different due to differing medium

Aegnor

Ok, I struggled with the title of the thread to make it non spoilery, but still get across what the topic was for those who've read the books. Those that haven't read the books DON'T READ THIS THREAD as it contains huge spoilers for season 3.

Ok...so my question is, will the Red Wedding be even more devastating for TV viewers, than it was for book reader? The reason I wonder this, is because in the book Robb was not a viewpoint character. The fact that we never got into his head put some slight distance between us and Robb. That isn't to say that I didn't love his character, I did. And it was certainly devastating. But to TV viewers, Robb is going to appear to be one of the top "main" characters (Daenerys, Jon, and Robb) where in the book the fact that he didn't get a viewpoint chapter was an indication that he wasn't one of the "main" characters.

Honestly I'm dying to know what the reaction of TV viewers will be when the Red Wedding occurs. It was so horrifying to read. Not just because of the fact that he died, but the way he died. If he would have died in battle I don't think I would have been near as devastated. I think back to the reaction that Ned's death had on TV viewers. I'm thinking that the reaction to the Red Wedding may be even more dramatic.

Yeah I think it'll be a pretty bad reaction. Not just Robb's death of course, but Catelyn's aswell.

It'll be interesting to see how they do it actually. I wonder if they'll show Grey Wind's death, and how they'll go about the awful music?

The people who left after Ned's end are the people who would get upset by it. I know many people who stopped watching it simply because Ned died, which is honestly rather pathetic. The remaining people watching the show are prepared for anything, and so long as it keeps the high quality of the first season there should be no issue. Many tragic things occur that I think the remaining audience is prepared for. Can't wait to see how people do react.

It will be a powerful scene in the show no doubt. I can see it being filmed in a similar way to Ned's execution scene. Understated, muted sound (although we do need the Rains of Castamere??). I'm imagining seeing Catelyn tearing her face to shreds and getting shivers.

This doesn't happen until the end of ASOS, which if Martin has his way, will be season 4. So there'll be two seasons in between where we don't kill off one of the Starks.

The Red Wedding was more like half to two-thirds of the way through ASoS. I expect it to show up in episode 9 of season three, maybe episode 8. I expect Joffrey's Wedding to then either end season 3 or kick off season 4, which will mostly deal with the fallout of that and possibly drag in a bit of Feast and Dance at the end to get us started on those before season 5 rolls around.

I think the impact will be pretty big, the only times Robb really showed up in later books was when Cateyln saw him, the rest of the time we just heard about his victories, but it seems like the show will make him a bigger character, so the people who have not read the books will be shocked, maybe even more so by this then Ned.

It will be a powerful scene in the show no doubt. I can see it being filmed in a similar way to Ned's execution scene. Understated, muted sound (although we do need the Rains of Castamere??). I'm imagining seeing Catelyn tearing her face to shreds and getting shivers.

Funny I don't see it that way at all. To me this is a Godfather-esque type scene or better yet like the beginning of Carlito's Way. Things are moving along with slight tension then Cat feels the chainmail and we experience the "Oh S#!T" moment with her. Cut to The bride and groom disappearing to the bedding. Cut to a few sneering faces. Cut to the band dropping their instruments. Then the doors burst open and all hell breaks loose. There's no slo-mo here, The actions pounding as fast as your heart and you watch the train wreck known as RW. Thats the way i always saw it in my head.

It all depends on if they do ASOS in one season or two. If they do the 2 season solution, I would hope that they do the RW at the beginning of the 2nd rather than the end of the 1st. Ending on the most depressing moment of the whole series is not a good way to keep viewers. I would end the 1st part of ASOS in a way that the viewer thinks that the Frey situation could be resolved and then start the 2nd part with the RW and then end it on a high note (that is Joff's wedding). The whole Tyrion on trial and Mountain vs. Oberyn could move to the next season with AFFC and part of ADWD.

It all depends on if they do ASOS in one season or two. If they do the 2 season solution, I would hope that they do the RW at the beginning of the 2nd rather than the end of the 1st. Ending on the most depressing moment of the whole series is not a good way to keep viewers. I would end the 1st part of ASOS in a way that the viewer thinks that the Frey situation could be resolved and then start the 2nd part with the RW and then end it on a high note (that is Joff's wedding). The whole Tyrion on trial and Mountain vs. Oberyn could move to the next season with AFFC and part of ADWD.

Interesting idea. I agree that they shouldn't end the 1st half of season 3 on the RW, that would probably cause a loss in viewers. I don't know if this would be too late in the book to cut it in half, but I would end the half season on a high note with Joff's wedding. I think there are enough big moments in the events following to take up half a season. I think the Tyrion on trial has to be in the 2nd half of the season, because I think Tyrion's last meeting with Tywin has to end his season arc. I think it would feel weird if he does that and then in just hte next episode he's already fleeing; there needs to be a season break in between. Plus, although ending the season on Joff's wedding is a high note, having Cersei yelling to arrest Tyrion end the season would be kind of an annoying offseason cliffhanger.

Not nineish, my mistake. Six I imagine (on phone, don't know how to edit!

Have the actual episode titles been released yet (apart from 2.09 Blackwater)? Because those would likely give us bookwalkers hints on what to expect.

I fully expect the episode dealing with Renly's murder to be named Shadow or Shadows and Peaches, if The Golden Crown and Baelor are any indication.

Have the actual episode titles been released yet (apart from 2.09 Blackwater)? Because those would likely give us bookwalkers hints on what to expect.

I fully expect the episode dealing with Renly's murder to be named Shadow or Shadows and Peaches, if The Golden Crown and Baelor are any indication.

I´d go for "Ours is the Fury".

Going by book pages, isn't it more likely that Renly will get killed in episode 4 or 5?

Edit: He is killed 377/728 = 0.52 into the book, so maybe that will be episode 6. I mixed up the total page count with that of the softcover first. I think it is more likely that this will be the midseason high point, though, i.e. the end of episode 5.

By the way, I bet one of the episodes will be called "Weasel Soup". Episode 7 or 8 maybe. They should probably make that the climax of a different episode than the burning of Winterfell. So maybe Weasel Soup is 7, and Winterfell is 8. (Sorry for going off topic here.)

On the original topic: I think the Red Wedding will be a lot harder to watch than to read just because tv characters feel more real to me. I don't think giving Robb more screen time will be the major factor, since he has given enough of an impression anyway. It was a lot harder to watch Ned's beheading than reading about it even when I was prepared for it in the tv series.

Archived