Canadian Politics

Ser Reptitious

So ... I attended the Labour Day Parade here in Toronto to support my (former) brothers in Carpenters Local 27, and my new best pals in Ironworkers Local 721, and it was pretty disconcerting to run into so many citizens who had no idea why there was a parade at all. It really is the same reason why electoral reform never happens in this country - because the voters are normally extremely apathetic.

The lack of giving a shit is what is wrong with this great country.

Harper plans to bring back some anti terrorism laws that expired in 07,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/09/06/harper-911-terrorism-islamic-interview.html?cmp=rss

There were two clauses at the heart of the debate:

• One allowed police to arrest suspects without a warrant and detain them for three days without charges if police believed a terrorist act may have been committed.
  • The other allowed a judge to compel a witness to testify in secret about past associations or perhaps pending acts under penalty of going to jail if the witness didn't comply.

Neither clause was used by police or prosecutors in the five years before they expired.

So ... I attended the Labour Day Parade here in Toronto to support my (former) brothers in Carpenters Local 27, and my new best pals in Ironworkers Local 721, and it was pretty disconcerting to run into so many citizens who had no idea why there was a parade at all. It really is the same reason why electoral reform never happens in this country - because the voters are normally extremely apathetic.

The lack of giving a shit is what is wrong with this great country.

The apathy also helps the country to some extent, but it's goddamn infuriating.

Harper plans to bring back some anti terrorism laws that expired in 07,

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ew.html?cmp=rss

Harper beating the Law&Order Drum? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

God, the crime bill is gonna sail through parliament this fall and be such bullshit.

Gotta wonder what the hell he is thinking. Could he be any more inflammatory? Actually he probably could, can't wait to watch the fall out from this one.

Also am I the only one that thinks that the 10th anniversary of Sept 11 is an awfully conveeeenient time to be bringing this up again? <_<

So in other words we are incredibly safe.

Wtf? Islamic terrorism? How about the American, Russian,

Chinese, and fucking Danish boats sailing round our arctic like they own it?

We still got to wait until we have the boats to deal with that. Which reminds me when are we getting those things? I know a lot of the Navies ships are being refitted (Is that the right word?) which will be a couple decade long project but aren't we supposed to be getting two or three ice breakers to? Those will be really important to getting control of the NWP.

Islamic terrorism is highest threat to Canada. Really? Really?!?! Sigh. Although he was born and raised in Toronto - I hang my head in shame that this man was voted in in Alberta. (He used to be a Liberal until the National Energy program. Yeah, we're still bitter - and now I have another reason).

On another note - is anyone surprised? <_<

At the bottom of http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/flaherty-weighs-reducing-tariffs-in-response-to-us-price-gap/article2158012/]this Globe and Mail article:

Mr. Flaherty also told reporters that he isn’t sure Ottawa will be able to meet its campaign promise of reaching a deal by no later than Sept. 15 to give Quebec $2.2-billion in exchange for harmonizing federal and provincial sales taxes.

I am shocked, shocked that the Harper government is setting the table for abandoning a promise made to Quebec... okay, no, I'm not shocked at all. Typical Harper move ever since he won his majority.

On CPac Jean chretien is answering questions from the American bar association. It's fucking awesome. He's speaking so candidly about shit.

"the americans, they try to persuade me about Iraq. Abd I tell them they wrong. They not happy about it" *laughter*

We still got to wait until we have the boats to deal with that. Which reminds me when are we getting those things? I know a lot of the Navies ships are being refitted (Is that the right word?) which will be a couple decade long project but aren't we supposed to be getting two or three ice breakers to? Those will be really important to getting control of the NWP.

How are you going to deal with foreign boats sailing in "your" Arctic? Are you going to open fire on a Russian flagged boat? Will you barricade sea routes? Sue offending parties in international tribunals?

It seems like talk of protecting the Arctic is nothing more than cheap political rhetoric.

How are you going to deal with foreign boats sailing in "your" Arctic? Are you going to open fire on a Russian flagged boat? Will you barricade sea routes? Sue offending parties in international tribunals?

It seems like talk of protecting the Arctic is nothing more than cheap political rhetoric.

How does the US control waters in their territory? And those waters are in our territory the US can fuck off on this one.

How does the US control waters in their territory? And those waters are in our territory the US can fuck off on this one.

Well, the US does not have China sailing up the Hudson River, now do we?

Anyways, the situation is quite a bit different, don't you think? None of the major players accept your claim to sovereignty over the Arctic. As such, they feel free to "violate" your Sovereignty by sailing through the Arctic. Until Canada does something to prevent these voyages, you're sleeping on your rights and bolstering the opposing view that the Arctic does not belong to Canada.

So you are advocating a) we cede the arctic to the biggest dick floating or B) build a bigger dick and cum on everything that enters our turf?

Why not c) honour the fucking law.

Look at any map. See that mass of islands next to Greenland? That's Canada. 200 nautical miles around? Our water, gtfo or ask permission.

The continental shelf issue is more nuanced, yeah.

Tempra,

Well, the US does not have China sailing up the Hudson River, now do we?

Anyways, the situation is quite a bit different, don't you think? None of the major players accept your claim to sovereignty over the Arctic. As such, they feel free to "violate" your Sovereignty by sailing through the Arctic. Until Canada does something to prevent these voyages, you're sleeping on your rights and bolstering the opposing view that the Arctic does not belong to Canada.

Trying to stir the pot in the Canadian thread, eh? :box:

Actually, I tend to agree with the gist of your last paragraph. Canada does need to do something if it wants to protect its sovereignty in the Arctic. Naturally, those things wouldn't involve firing on foreign ships (unless maybe they're suspected smugglers). But having a strong military presence, and not being afraid to intercept (and potentially even board) ships that navigate those waters, would certainly help in bolstering our claim.

But what's the worst case scenario (from Canada's perspective) anyway? That the Northwest Passage is declared international waters? Personally, I could live with that. It's not like you guys (AFAIK) intend to seize any of our land for yourself. After all, I'm sure the U.S. learned its lesson about the consequences of trying to seize Canadian territory in the War of 1812!*

*Mind you, this time around you guys might not mind surrendering Detroit! :P

So you are advocating a) we cede the arctic to the biggest dick floating or B) build a bigger dick and cum on everything that enters our turf?

Why not c) honour the fucking law.

Look at any map. See that mass of islands next to Greenland? That's Canada. 200 nautical miles around? Our water, gtfo or ask permission.

The continental shelf issue is more nuanced, yeah.

There is a treaty between our two countries requiring that we ask permission. The catch is, you cannot say no.

Tempra,

Trying to stir the pot in the Canadian thread, eh? :box:

Genuinely curious why Canada makes a big deal about this, but does nothing to prevent it. I know you guys aren't going to attack any of us, so the rhetoric from Ottawa seems like little more than a hollow campaign promise to gather votes.

Actually, I tend to agree with the gist of your last paragraph. Canada does need to do something if it wants to protect its sovereignty in the Arctic. Naturally, those things wouldn't involve firing on foreign ships (unless maybe they're suspected smugglers). But having a strong military presence, and not being afraid to intercept (and potentially even board) ships that navigate those waters, would certainly help in bolstering our claim.

But what's the worst case scenario (from Canada's perspective) anyway? That the Northwest Passage is declared international waters? Personally, I could live with that. It's not like you guys (AFAIK) intend to seize any of our land for yourself. After all, I'm sure the U.S. learned its lesson about the consequences of trying to seize Canadian territory in the War of 1812!*

*Mind you, this time around you guys might not mind surrendering Detroit! :P

You are right that there is no harm in pressing the claim. Russia practically claims everything up to the North Pole as its own. I don't imagine much will change between our countries vis a vis the arctic. We don't care to "own" the arctic, but access through the passage serves our geopolitical interests, particularly since more countries are looking to use the passage.

Anyways, the issue of Arctic Sovereignty always seems to pop up, but nothing ever changes.

Archived