Canadian Politics

Ser Reptitious

Why should we change it back? We aren't merry old fucking England. Do you also sing God Save the Queen and lick the teats of a Marmaduke - or whatever the hell they call those inbred looking dudes?

Cut the umbilical cord already, sheesh. We're our own nation and we're great on our own. We don't need to do this. Harper is just pandering to old fogies who buy commemorative plates and vote en masse.

Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada as well as the Queen of Great Britain and it's nice to acknowledge that. Plus the Royal Canadian Air Force and the Royal Canadian Navy have a lot of tradition going back a long time. It's nice to acknowledge that as well.

You republicans got to learn to relax and stop whining all the time about our gracious Queen. :wideeyed:

And she'll be succeeded by Charles III, promotor of homeopathy, enviro-wackiness, and general mediocrity. I have my doubts that the monarchy will much survive the queen.

More to the point, while I like QEII, I think having her face on all coins, the $20 bill, and many government buildings is more than sufficient. And I've spent most of the last 8 months working in a hospital named after her. Next to which there used to be a high school called Queen Elizabeth High.

Plus, if it's going to be about "tradition", neither the navy nor air force were called "royal" when founded.

And she'll be succeeded by Charles III, promotor of homeopathy, enviro-wackiness, and general mediocrity. I have my doubts that the monarchy will much survive the queen.

More to the point, while I like QEII, I think having her face on all coins, the $20 bill, and many government buildings is more than sufficient. And I've spent most of the last 8 months working in a hospital named after her. Next to which there used to be a high school called Queen Elizabeth High.

Plus, if it's going to be about "tradition", neither the navy nor air force were called "royal" when founded.

To rid us of the monarchy you'll need a constitutional amendment which requires the federal government and all 10 provinces to agree. That might be harder to do than you might hope.

As for the "Royal" designation for the navy came a year after it's inception and four years later for the Air Force.

I don't much care about the monarchy but Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force sounds a hell of a lot better than Maritime Command and Canadian Forces Air Command. And the reason they weren't named that from the very beginning is because that needs royal sanction like with the Royal Military College.

Also it's not like we're the ones footing the bill for the Royals so who cares? It would cost us a lot more to have a president.

Eh, I don't really care about the Royals one way or another. But if making them more prominent again in the Canadian consciousness is currently the main focus of Harper's 'hidden agenda', I'll take that any day over abolishing abortion, reintroducing the death penalty, or privatizing health care.

I like the royals, and the governor general but seriously, I thought Trudeau kinda you know, made it clear we wanted to be our own sovereign fucked up nation and took care of all that when I was 11. (1982)

Dear Canada,

What the fuck have you wrought? You voted this smoke and mirrors chicane in.

Morons.

And now he wants to reinstate the BNA and return us all to United Empire Loyalists.

No doubt you'll be wanting to burn down the White House again, as it's 'tradition' and start up

portaging and hustling beaver pelts across the ocean.

Morons.

Deceive. Inveigle. Obfuscate. Now with more tar sands and Hudson's Bay Company coats.

Eh.

Morons.

Not that the grass is greener south of the 49th.

Love and eh,

-k

I don't much care about the monarchy but Royal Canadian Navy and Royal Canadian Air Force sounds a hell of a lot better than Maritime Command and Canadian Forces Air Command. And the reason they weren't named that from the very beginning is because that needs royal sanction like with the Royal Military College.

Also it's not like we're the ones footing the bill for the Royals so who cares? It would cost us a lot more to have a president.

Well, we pay for the Governor General, and I'm not sure how that position is any less costly than a figurehead president as in Germany, Israel, or India.

And quite right - who the fuck cares? I don't have the slightest interest in the official names of the different branches of the Canadian Forces and I live in the city with the largest base in the country.

Anyone watching the Ontario election? Or Rob Ford's "plummeting" poll numbers? The latter is quite gratifying on so many levels.

And further on Rob Ford:

A sweeping new poll suggests a broad majority of Torontonians are rejecting Mayor Rob Ford’s service-cutting budget talks, even in wards that carried him to victory last year in his “gravy train” campaign against City Hall spending.

After weeks of talk about layoffs, the future of libraries and public transit service reductions, the mayor’s popularity has plummeted, with only 27 per cent of respondents ready to vote for Mr. Ford if a municipal election was held now, says the survey conducted by Forum Research.

More than three quarters of those contacted by the pollster thought their councillors should ignore Mr. Ford’s budgetary proposals and oppose service reductions.

Rob Ford's new plan to sell off the Port Lands to private interests, effectively scrapping the development plan that has been in the works for nearly a decade, has totally backfired on him. His plan is essentially a load of bollocks, and would be a big fuck you to the public, considering the current plan was developed through extensive public consultation and cooperation with multiple agencies and every level of government. Rob Ford's plan is essentially a backroom deal with no public consultation, no transparency, no open bidding, and ample opportunity for corruption. It would be a black stain on this city.

People in Toronto don't want to see this happen, and they are letting their voices be heard. Here is a good article on the subject. There has been a massive backlash to his plan, and I'm glad to see it. It has proven him to be a completely incompetent official, who was elected on a populist campaign, which had absolutely zero substance. Mayor Rob Ford is neither qualified, nor worthy to be Mayor of Toronto.

There really wasn't much gravy after all, and his voters are finally starting to realize that.

Fuck Rob Ford. And his little toad of a brother too.

Eh, I don't really care about the Royals one way or another. But if making them more prominent again in the Canadian consciousness is currently the main focus of Harper's 'hidden agenda', I'll take that any day over abolishing abortion, reintroducing the death penalty, or privatizing health care.

Ser Rep - how is it that we're not friends? I am beginning to resent your 94 year old relative more and more these days... ;)

I like the royals, and the governor general but seriously, I thought Trudeau kinda you know, made it clear we wanted to be our own sovereign fucked up nation and took care of all that when I was 11. (1982)

We are our own sovereign nation, but have never seceded from having a constitutional monarchy. Queen Elizabeth is the Queen of Canada, and her legal representative is the Governor General. (And actually, we started making the stand in WWII when we wanted to be recognized as our own nation - using an unofficial Canadian "red shield" flag and going to war under our own Canadian commanders. And it was Lester B. Pearson who made our current flag legal in 1965).

There really wasn't much gravy after all, and his voters are finally starting to realize that.

Fuck Rob Ford. And his little toad of a brother too.

OK, so did you Torontonians (and Ontario-ites) in general go crazy this year? Rob Ford? And it was your province that voted in "the Harper government". (To be fair, I humble myself to note that I expect Albertans are always crazy - but we don't have the political clout and numbers to get these idiots a majority government).

Rob Ford was voted in by the outer boroughs of the 416 (Toronto). AKA, by the dumbfuckers.

Most of the Southern Ontario ridings voted Conservative in 2008. So no, we didn't really "go crazy". Ontario has always been rather centrist for the most part. The biggest difference was that a lot of the 905 that went Liberal in the last election decided to go Conservative in this one, except ridings in 416 districts, which went Liberal or NDP (and were mostly that way before). For the most part, Northern Ontario remained the same, with most of the ridings going NDP again.

OK, so did you Torontonians (and Ontario-ites) in general go crazy this year? Rob Ford? And it was your province that voted in "the Harper government". (To be fair, I humble myself to note that I expect Albertans are always crazy - but we don't have the political clout and numbers to get these idiots a majority government).

Rob Ford was a pure low information populist campaign. Given the things he was running against (ie - the perceptions of the things he was raging against in the previous government), it's not surprising at all that he won. He spoke directly about the things that piss alot of the not-downtown areas off. Many of these issues being seen as ignored by the "hippy downtowners" who'd been in power previously.

For the federal election, it again gets back to Liberals and the PC party. Ontario has always been centrist, minus perhaps areas of downtown Toronto. They tend to waffle between Liberal and PC. So when the Liberals went down the shitter, they jumped to the PC party as usual.

Of course, the PC party doesn't actually exist anymore, but the fact that the Conservatives are just the renamed Reform party seems to be not widely known.

And they sure as fuck weren't gonna do NDP, who've got a bad image.

Hudson's Bay Company coats

I might be persuaded by an HBC coat. ;)

Anyone watching the Ontario election? Or Rob Ford's "plummeting" poll numbers? The latter is quite gratifying on so many levels.

Sad thing is, they'd be even more gratifying if we'd seen them dropping before the election. :(

Archived