I'm sure plenty of people have asked this, but when can we expect a release of the full game? This year?

The best place to ask is on the TW forum, though you will only get a "When it is done," answer. However, from the look of progress they seem to be fairly close to a release status. Most of the factions are done, the campaign map is done and I believe the only issues left are music and programming.

Edited by Werthead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Update:

The 2D artwork is complete. The campaign map is complete. The coding (previously the biggest bottleneck) is almost done.

What needs to be done: half of the modelling and texturing for three factions (i.e. there are three factions at around 50% completeness), and a little bit for a fourth. There are about a dozen factions in total, IIRC. There's also some balancing of the economy going on.

So they're nearly there. I think we'll see a release in the first half of 2014.

Great news Wert; and thanks all for the updates

What Werthead said.

Meanwhile to pass the time I recommend you play the original Medieval 2 and the Kingdoms expansion, just to be familiar with it, and then try another great mod: Third Age Total War 3.1 which is in Middle-earth.

I'm just about ready to start getting back into M2TW; having been sidetracked for a few months with Skyrim.

Any other (finished) mods worth a serious look?

I'm intending to have a look at:

Third Age

Lands to Conquer

Planet War

Kingdoms Grand campaign

The Long Road

Deus Lo Vult

Falcom

Arthurian

And obviously, Stainless Steel - the only mod I already have; albeit years out of date.

Anyone got any opinions on those? or any other must-have mods?

Great news Wert; and thanks all for the updates

I'm just about ready to start getting back into M2TW; having been sidetracked for a few months with Skyrim.

Any other (finished) mods worth a serious look?

I'm intending to have a look at:

Third Age

Lands to Conquer

Planet War

Kingdoms Grand campaign

The Long Road

Deus Lo Vult

Falcom

Arthurian

And obviously, Stainless Steel - the only mod I already have; albeit years out of date.

Anyone got any opinions on those? or any other must-have mods?

Other than Third Age and Stainless Steel I have not tried any of these mods. I know Planet War was recently released, and it just looks weird. Some of the other ones, like the Kingdoms Grand Campaign, look very similar to Stainless Steel. And I've just noticed they are working on a 7.0 version for SS. Nice!

Also that Arthurian mod is for Rome TW, not Medieval 2, so make sure you have that installed.

There is also a Warhammer mod. I have not tried it, though.

If are going to try Third Age, make sure to also install Patch 3.2 and try the sub-mod MOS which adds a bunch of cool stuff.

Update.

The game has heaved into sight of completion but a number of manpower shortages means that bringing the game to full completion with all of the full features is probably unrealistic in a short time frame. So some of the extra features are being dropped and the game will be moved to a v1.0 release ASAP, with some of those features to make a comeback later on.

What the additional features being left out at this time are is unclear. I suspect the custom settlements will be out and maybe the incomplete factions.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys, Dux from TWC here, one of the modders of WTW and creator of the King and Rivers and Hills submod. I got to say I'm happily surprised to find this subforum here.

Just an update on the release schedule, we are really nearly finished, almost all new units are done, but lack of time from our principal coders (myself included) have delayed the mod release again. Sorry for that. We will release it, eventually. Definitely this year though.

Our entire team will start to become more active here. Expect previews and messages from my fellow modders soon.

Here relatively old but up to date video preview of House Stark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQhm2frC_Q

And here is a preview pic for you guys, Riverlands Nobles: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/Jonnie_Haldon/Nobles-1_zps3b99002e.jpg

Nobles-1_zps3b99002e.jpg

Hey guys, Dux from TWC here, one of the modders of WTW and creator of the King and Rivers and Hills submod. I got to say I'm happily surprised to find this subforum here.

Just an update on the release schedule, we are really nearly finished, almost all new units are done, but lack of time from our principal coders (myself included) have delayed the mod release again. Sorry for that. We will release it, eventually. Definitely this year though.

Our entire team will start to become more active here. Expect previews and messages from my fellow modders soon.

Here relatively old but up to date video preview of House Stark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RQhm2frC_Q

And here is a preview pic for you guys, Riverlands Nobles: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n502/Jonnie_Haldon/Nobles-1_zps3b99002e.jpg

Nobles-1_zps3b99002e.jpg

Thank you very much. I have been lurking on the TWC forum for more than a year, but never made an account there. It will be good to have discussions on this forum as well.