Sandor Clegane 6- Read the Mod Warning before you post

headtrip_honey

I share your hope but that 1st impression of the EB was . . . suspiciously perfect. I thought the monks knew who Sandor was, too. They're probably afraid of EB to a certain degree, though. Plus, that vow of silence or whatever probably doesn't hurt. Further, Sandor's probably not the only outlaw hiding out there. There's probably an unspoken (no pun intended) rule about ratting out a fellow brother.

So, what exactly do you think will happen if the lamest people in the world encounter the most badass guy in the world? :)

A couple of pages ago someone (Parwan?) brought up the possibility that Brienne made a mistake when she rolled up on the island saying "lookin for the Hound. Must kill him" and that that's why she got the story that she did. so another possible scenario would have been if she asked "Looking for news of the Hound. Supposedly he's got info on the Stark girl and I wanted to chat" or something non threatening, that it might have turned out differently. Because there's that moment when she makes it clear that she wants to kill him, the one brother frowns at her, and then goes off and gets EB. What do you think?

Darn you Starbird. You have just opened a potential crackpot can of crack for me! What other outlaws are hiding on teh QI? There are a lots of reasonable candidates but you just know somebody is going to say Syrio or Ned at some point.

Don't forget that while Sandor remains badass he is now a lame badass (gimp leg). Hope he's not a permanent crip as this could cause problems.

:rofl:

This is easily one of my favorite Sandor lines, and Arya too. And I agree, I liked the hound/Arya combination better than the Hound/Sansa. They connected a lot better and had some really great dialogue.

Yes, and what makes it especially perfect for me is picturing that dang helmet falling down over her face and her trying to push it up while declaring how ferocious she is (and she hasn't really proven that to him yet even though the reader has seen it). I really hope this makes it into the series!

So my dad and i were discussing why everything has to end badly in classical literature (exaggeration). Dad's theory is that a)people's lives were miserable in those days and they would watch a play like Romeo and Juliet and go "you know i may be poor and not live to see 30, but atleast I am alive unlie those rich kids" and B) the author needs to punish people for breaking societies laws. (Romeo and Juliet disobey their parents, Lady Deadlock had a child before marriage, the heroine and hero in Unyong-Jon disobey the prince, etc)...

So from a medieval perspective SanSan has to end badly: it could entail adultery against Tyrion, disobeying class strictures, and disobeying the king and Sansa's guardian Petyr Baelish...

From a modern perspective it has to end badly for Sandor since he is so much older than her.

Sigh.

:rofl:

This is easily one of my favorite Sandor lines, and Arya too. And I agree, I liked the hound/Arya combination better than the Hound/Sansa. They connected a lot better and had some really great dialogue.

I totally agree with you ManyFacedOne. It was the Hound and his interaction with Ayra that sealed it with me. He was so rough and rude but he made me laugh so many times with his dialogue and the way Arya amused him. 

I always thought he treated Ayra well and took her with him at the RW because he truly cared for her wellbeing by that stage and knew she would honestly be better off with him then near the Freys or even with a random Stark bannerman. 

I would have loved to have seen them navigate and battle and survive the perils of war together longer. 

So my dad and i were discussing why everything has to end badly in classical literature (exaggeration). Dad's theory is that a)people's lives were miserable in those days and they would watch a play like Romeo and Juliet and go "you know i may be poor and not live to see 30, but atleast I am alive unlie those rich kids" and B) the author needs to punish people for breaking societies laws. (Romeo and Juliet disobey their parents, Lady Deadlock had a child before marriage, the heroine and hero in Unyong-Jon disobey the prince, etc)...

So from a medieval perspective SanSan has to end badly: it could entail adultery against Tyrion, disobeying class strictures, and disobeying the king and Sansa's guardian Petyr Baelish...

From a modern perspective it has to end badly for Sandor since he is so much older than her.

Sigh.

I think so too voodooqueen126. If Sandor comes back there will be no lollipops and rainbows. He'll probably come back all reformed, have his heart and soul smashed to smithereens and die a horrible death. I'm weeping already :)

I think so too voodooqueen126. If Sandor comes back there will be no lollipops and rainbows. He'll probably come back all reformed, have his heart and soul smashed to smithereens and die a horrible death. I'm weeping already :)

This is my fear too, however GRRM is known for overturning tropes. The only problem is that him living and going off with Sansa is a trope and him dying heroically but horribly is also a trope, as is him letting her go to be with X (handsome man).

I can see him ending up with her if she stays Alyane.

A couple of pages ago someone (Parwan?) brought up the possibility that Brienne made a mistake when she rolled up on the island saying "lookin for the Hound. Must kill him" and that that's why she got the story that she did. so another possible scenario would have been if she asked "Looking for news of the Hound. Supposedly he's got info on the Stark girl and I wanted to chat" or something non threatening, that it might have turned out differently. Because there's that moment when she makes it clear that she wants to kill him, the one brother frowns at her, and then goes off and gets EB. What do you think?

Darn you Starbird. You have just opened a potential crackpot can of crack for me! What other outlaws are hiding on teh QI? There are a lots of reasonable candidates but you just know somebody is going to say Syrio or Ned at some point.

Don't forget that while Sandor remains badass he is now a lame badass (gimp leg). Hope he's not a permanent crip as this could cause problems.

I absolutely agree that Brienne made a huge mistake with her approach. Somebody else at some point mentioned that this was totally out of character for her, too, to deviate from the letter of Jaime's instructions. It was probably the easiest way for GRRM to spread the news of the Hound's "death." It was also a convenient stalling technique. If Brienne HAD gone with the soft opening, she might have actually gotten to speak with Sandor. But then he would've packed his bags to help her find Sansa A) without healing as much as he needs to and B) jumping back into the plot before the plot was ready for him.

Honestly, I didn't give a thought to which other outlaws might be lying low on the QI. It just seemed likely given the EB's former reputation and the nice central location of the QI. Surely some old war buddies of the EB must show up now and again, looking for shelter/food/a place hide out/an alibi, etc. Sandor found the place by accident but it sounds like a destination location for those in need.

No way. As you correctly noted, Sandor bathes in 100% pure manliness. I think there might be a slight limp and possibly a trace reduction in his speed, but overall I anticipate a near-full recovery. :thumbsup:

I suspect that at least the proctors on QI knew who their new brother is. The brothers may all suspect if they got a look at Sandor's face. I don't think that the monks change their names when becoming novices, so Sandor might still go by his own name, confirming their suspicion.

Septon Meribald probably found out when he heard the confessions on QI. Didn't he say he hoped that the brothers had better sins to confess this time around, when EB asked him to hear their confessions? Sandor probably could provide some interesting ones.

I absolutely agree that Brienne made a huge mistake with her approach. Somebody else at some point mentioned that this was totally out of character for her, too, to deviate from the letter of Jaime's instructions. It was probably the easiest way for GRRM to spread the news of the Hound's "death." It was also a convenient stalling technique. If Brienne HAD gone with the soft opening, she might have actually gotten to speak with Sandor. But then he would've packed his bags to help her find Sansa A) without healing as much as he needs to and B) jumping back into the plot before the plot was ready for him.

Yes, this is a good point about Brienne as plot device to get the news of his death out. Wonder what Sansa's reaction to this news --- *screeching halt, steps back from tempting precipice*

And it will be nice to have a few resurrection stories that do NOT involve zombification, if he does make a comeback. And Sansa will be so hap-- *stumble, balancing on ledge*

But seriously we've had so much death and fake death, and now several characters that already have returned or seem likely to return in zombie form

or warg-form

, that I think it's about time for some good old-fashioned "Holy shit I thought you were dead! Thank the gods you're alive! Yippee!" Think about it: Rickon, Bran, DAVOS, Sandor, DAVOS. Am I forgetting anybody? Oh yeah, Davos!

I just want some happy resurrection/reunion. Just a little bit.

Honestly, I didn't give a thought to which other outlaws might be lying low on the QI. It just seemed likely given the EB's former reputation and the nice central location of the QI. Surely some old war buddies of the EB must show up now and again, looking for shelter/food/a place hide out/an alibi, etc. Sandor found the place by accident but it sounds like a destination location for those in need.
Hmmm.... like, say perhaps the Blackfish? Who last we heard was swimming down the Trident? I think EB ended up at the QI by literally washing up there, didn't he? EB also described that women with child often end up at the monastery when they are in need of assistance (or something like that). So if the (extremely) tenuous theory that the super sexy Blackfish is floating downriver along with a pregnant Jeyne Westerling, this would be a good place for them to end up. Brynden could leave Jeyne with the bruthas for the time being since she's pregnant, and he could meanwhile take ship for the Vale.

No way. As you correctly noted, Sandor bathes in 100% pure manliness. I think there might be a slight limp and possibly a trace reduction in his speed, but overall I anticipate a near-full recovery. :thumbsup:

This is why he will need STRANGER even more -- easier on his leg to fight from horseback. StrangerSan is my OTP.

Going back over the books it is interesting to note how often Sandor is referenced by other characters.

Even in ADWD he is referenced by Barristan Selmy.

This would hint that he is a more important character than appears. Was Varys aware of Sandor and Sansa's interactions via his little birds?

Also it would be interesting to get more of a back story on him though. Even Gregor has more of a back story than Sandor. Maybe EB or Septon Meribald will shed more light on him at later period.

Going back over the books it is interesting to note how often Sandor is referenced by other characters.

Even in ADWD he is referenced by Barristan Selmy.

This would hint that he is a more important character than appears. Was Varys aware of Sandor and Sansa's interactions via his little birds?

Also it would be interesting to get more of a back story on him though. Even Gregor has more of a back story than Sandor. Maybe EB or Septon Meribald will shed more light on him at later period.

He also comes up quite frequently in FFC -- Martin's keeping him in the running by not quite letting readers forget his presence.

As for his backstory -- I want to learn more about dad and lil sis...

He also comes up quite frequently in FFC -- Martin's keeping him in the running by not quite letting readers forget his presence.

As for his backstory -- I want to learn more about dad and lil sis...

I agree and would love to know more about House Clegane and what Sandor has done. The EB talks about tales good and bad.

Also all the notable characters in the story seem to have an Arc and there have so far been no deaths that have not made narrative sense in terms of arc completion. If Sandor had died on the Trident, then he would have been the only one where this was not the case.

I wonder if Brienne's arc will be the one that ties into his, because so far I can't see where her arc is taking her in terms of it's resolution.

Not sure what is happening with her and Jaime and the BWB and UnCat, but I think that story has more to do with Jaime and UnCat.

Also she and Sandor both have the knight but not a Knight thing going on.

But seriously we've had so much death and fake death, and now several characters that already have returned or seem likely to return in zombie form

or warg-form

, that I think it's about time for some good old-fashioned "Holy shit I thought you were dead! Thank the gods you're alive! Yippee!"

I just want some happy resurrection/reunion. Just a little bit.

Hmmm.... like, say perhaps the Blackfish? Who last we heard was swimming down the Trident? I think EB ended up at the QI by literally washing up there, didn't he? EB also described that women with child often end up at the monastery when they are in need of assistance (or something like that). So if the (extremely) tenuous theory that the super sexy Blackfish is floating downriver along with a pregnant Jeyne Westerling, this would be a good place for them to end up. Brynden could leave Jeyne with the bruthas for the time being since she's pregnant, and he could meanwhile take ship for the Vale.

Amen to a happy resurrection. It would be a refreshing change.

Ahh, I forgot about the Blackfish. Why, yes, the QI might be just the place for him. One sticking point, though, is the BF doesn't know Sansa and may not be overly inclined to get involved. Not when Edmure's in dire straits.

Ahh, I forgot about the Blackfish. Why, yes, the QI might be just the place for him. One sticking point, though, is the BF doesn't know Sansa and may not be overly inclined to get involved. Not when Edmure's in dire straits.

The reason I think the BF would want to head to the Vale is because he'll have heard the news (or soon will hear the news) of Lysa's death and will want to find out about it -- he was very protective of both Cat and Lysa. And you just know that as soon as Brynden the BAMF lays eyes on Littlefinger's slimy ass the game is up for Petyr. Or at least I like to think so. He will have a minor problem what with being a wanted man and all, though I do have to wonder if (some of) the Vale lords might be inclined to not turn him over to the crown since he's well-loved in the Vale.

But it does make sense that the QI would be a good place for the Blackfish to lay low for a bit.

The reason I think the BF would want to head to the Vale is because he'll have heard the news (or soon will hear the news) of Lysa's death and will want to find out about it -- he was very protective of both Cat and Lysa. And you just know that as soon as Brynden the BAMF lays eyes on Littlefinger's slimy ass the game is up for Petyr. Or at least I like to think so. He will have a minor problem what with being a wanted man and all, though I do have to wonder if (some of) the Vale lords might be inclined to not turn him over to the crown since he's well-loved in the Vale.

But it does make sense that the QI would be a good place for the Blackfish to lay low for a bit.

okay since I am hoping that

Stannis will spill the beans about Littlefinger sell Jeyne to a brothel and then giving her to Tywin who gave her to Ramsay Bolton, as well as showing Sansa that their is sanctuary outside of him

and Sandor knows about Littlefinger's betrayal of Ned.

and Blackfish would know about Littlefinger's lie to Catelyn that started the whole war.

The only person who knows that Tyrion didn't send the assassin against Bran is Tyrion, but Tyrion specifically told Sansa that he did not want harm to come to Bran...

So if both Blackfish and Sandor head to the Vale...Then it should be relatively easy for Sansa to figure out just how dangerous Petyr is

Hmm. Possibly but LF's promotion to Lord Protector and all will be well known. Also, Lysa was crazy about LF so that may provide LF some protection from the BF's wrath. If LF's going down, I hope it's not because of the BF, since he's been kind of on the periphery.

Actually I can see the BF supporting LF as he has rescued and hidden Sansa from Lannister clutches. I just hope she doesn't end up back with Tyrion by the end of the series. That whole bit when it was said she wouldn't have to share a bed with him again and she wondered if that's what she really wanted!

Anyway, sorry too off topic. If Sandor does show up in the Vale then LF may make use of him. If he got Sandor ( Joffery's sworn sword of many years ) to say he thought Joff was Cersei and Jaime's kid then it would add more weight to the claim when LF finally makes his play.

Actually I can see the BF supporting LF as he has rescued and hidden Sansa from Lannister clutches. I just hope she doesn't end up back with Tyrion by the end of the series. That whole bit when it was said she wouldn't have to share a bed with him again and she wondered if that's what she really wanted!

Anyway, sorry too off topic. If Sandor does show up in the Vale then LF may make use of him. If he got Sandor ( Joffery's sworn sword of many years ) to say he thought Joff was Cersei and Jaime's kid then it would add more weight to the claim when LF finally makes his play.

absolutely, if it weren't for Littlefingers hatred of Ned Stark (and by extension his male line descendants) and Littlefinger's perverse intentions. Petyr's plans for Sansa are extremely advantageous to the Starks.

After saltpans Sandor is considered a monster, so I don't think his word is going to be believed. And even if it did, I can just imagine what would happen the first time Sandor saw or heard of LF perving on Sansa :devil:

Back to the fray. :cool4: Hope I haven't missed anything important.

Septon Meribald probably found out when he heard the confessions on QI. Didn't he say he hoped that the brothers had better sins to confess this time around, when EB asked him to hear their confessions? Sandor probably could provide some interesting ones.

Now I'm picturing Sandor giving Meribald an equivalent of Tyrion's "I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel" speech in the series. :lmao:

I would like to see him interact with Brienne, they are very different, but as pointed out above, have that not-quite-a-knight thing in common.

As for the limp, I'm not worried right now. I myself have limped quite spectacularly from injuries which have healed completely in the meantime.

Archived