Small Questions XII

Stubby

Why wasnt Lollys given moon tea after the riot, and the discovery of her pregnancy?

Partly because it's a preventative rather than a 'cure'.

'Tansy' was the 'cure' given to Lyssa by Hoster Tully. Which has some relation to moon tea but isn't the same thing.

But mostly because no one really cares about Lollys. It's not like her being 'ruined' can be 'hidden' by a quiet abortion. Or like she had much prospects before either.

Am I just dense? Why is Margaery drinking moon tea?

Pycelle could be lying but this seems out of character for him.

She could have requested it for one of her friends.

Or she could have a lover.

Or Pycelle could be lying (though why he would do this, I'm not sure).

Partly because it's a preventative rather than a 'cure'.

'Tansy' was the 'cure' given to Lyssa by Hoster Tully. Which has some relation to moon tea but isn't the same thing.

But mostly because no one really cares about Lollys. It's not like her being 'ruined' can be 'hidden' by a quiet abortion. Or like she had much prospects before either.

What? I think it is a 'cure'.

Didn't Cat mention that Lysa drank moon tea in AGOT?

Or it could help regulate her moon blood.

Or it could be good for her skin.

Or she might just like the taste of it.

Or she might just like the taste of it.

I think this last one might be a bit unlikely. I don't think abortifacients are likely to taste palatable to anyone, and even if she did like the taste of them, to drink abortifacients given the risk, and how it could potentially screw up her chances of bearing a child seems unlikely.

What? I think it is a 'cure'.

Didn't Cat mention that Lysa drank moon tea in AGOT?

The only abortion Lyssa had was Petyr's child, forced abortion by Hoster Tully. Hoster in his sick and aged dementia kept going on about Tansy, not moon tea.

Tansy is apparently one of the ingredients of moon tea - perhaps it is the critical one and stronger on its own so as to induce an abortion?

The wiki does say that moon tea is both preventative and cure. The wiki is generally 95%+ accurate, but there are no actual source notes (textual references) on that page.

But AFAICR every actual use we see of moon tea is preventative rather than cure.

Obviously if someone can find a scene where moon tea is being used or recommended as a 'cure' then I am wrong...

But AFAICR every actual use we see of moon tea is preventative rather than cure.

Obviously if someone can find a scene where moon tea is being used or recommended as a 'cure' then I am wrong...

Asha mentions needing to brew moon tea after already having sex with Qarl the Maid. I think Arianne mentions this as well in AFFC, right after she and Ser Arys Oakheart have sex. So I think moon tea is also an abortifacient (and why wouldn't it be, given that tansy is an ingredient?).

ETA--Actually, I take back the Arianne reference. She only mentions having drunk moon tea before sex, not after.

Asha mentions needing to brew moon tea after already having sex with Qarl the Maid. I think Arianne mentions this as well in AFFC, right after she and Ser Arys Oakheart have sex. So I think moon tea is also an abortifacient (and why wouldn't it be, given that tansy is an ingredient?).

So it's the morning after pill, not the morning before.

Not quite the same thing as an abortion agent after someone has been found to be pregnant.

Yeah whatever, technically that might be a cure, not a preventative.

But I'm still gonna call it a preventative based on these two examples.

So it's the morning after pill, not the morning before.

Not quite the same thing as an abortion agent after someone has been found to be pregnant.

Yeah whatever, technically that might be a cure, not a preventative.

But I'm still gonna call it a preventative based on these two examples.

I also think moon tea is a morning after. Ygritte refers to it with that context.

Also for prevention, Jeyne Westerling receives a "posset" with a lot of ingredients to keep her from conceiving. Seems odd that this would require so many ingredients if it's just hiding moon tea. Although I suppose it could be moon tea disguised. And as a maiden she probably has no idea what moon tea tastes like. Her mom could be lying about the ingredients of the "posset"

The more I think about these things the more possibilities arise.

Marie

When did Arya learn what 'Valar Morghulis' means?

At first she didn't have a clue, but suddenly, after Dany learns the meaning, Arya does too. when exactly does she learn it?

It's Valyrian so Dany has to know the definition. She might not have known the context. Arya might have learned it on the boat to Braavos because they use it with her. Although this isnt certain. It is her first chance to hear it but she might have thought the pair of phrases was a greeting.

About why Margaery is drinking moon tea I thought of another possibility: She is messing with Cersei's head with help from the queen of thorns.

Marie

Arya might have learned it on the boat to Braavos because they use it with her. Although this isnt certain. It is her first chance to hear it but she might have thought the pair of phrases was a greeting.

I don't think that she would've thought the phrases were a greeting because she first heard them from Jaqen H'gar who explicitly told her to say it and present the iron coin if she wanted to get to Braavos. If it was just a greeting in Braavosi I don't think that would've gotten her passage across the Narrow Sea.

Also I don't think it's ever outright said what Valar Dohaeris (forgive me if that spelling is way off) means. It means "All men must serve" right?

I've seen numerous references to Sansa warging the old, blind dog while at the Fingers, but I went through that chapter in ASoS and didn't find anything that led me to believe that.

Am I missing something? If so, please quote the passage or cite where I can find it. Thanks!

here is what i want to know - how old are Arys Oakheart and Balon Swan? I assume Arys cant be younger than 28/29 - considering that he is already member of Kingsguard for 10 years but i dont remember his age was stated anywhere. (and he had to be at least 18 when he took the White cause Loras is the second youngest Kingsguard and he is 17) I remember Balon Swann is older and more mainly looking but somewhere it was said he was young as well though i dont know what is his physical appearance.

So anyone has any idea about two of them?

Archived